What do we think Disney's END GAME is with resale restrictions

linda9681

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have been discussing buying resale and I will likely buy new at Reflections just because I think I am going to LOVE it. We were throwing around ideas of why Disney is having all these new restrictions with DVC ownership. Reading threads here with them possibly not extending contracts when they expire, and restricting resales of new DVC resorts...what is the END GAME? I can't figure their angle. Is it to help availability? IF that were the case they could build a huge resort of studios. ( they could call it " Its a small world" :) )

Last edited:
I think they don’t like anyone else getting “their” money. Every time a person buys resale it means that they aren’t buying direct, which means the mouse makes nothing off the sale.

I think it is short-sighted. They might not make money off the sale, but they make money off the food and tickets people buy from their trips. And not being able to afford to buy direct could drive some potential resale buyers to vacation elsewhere.

Possible End Games:
1. World Domination somehow. I don't know how but that's my first hypothesis.
2. They're building a lot lately. Perhaps they'll group all the new resorts into a different tier of resorts that will have exchangeable points while the old resorts will stay in the old resorts tier. They'll start to give the new tier owners something fabulous like free stays at the Star Wars experience, free food, free massages and chocolates on their free mickey pillows, free embroidered bath robes and slippers, free rain ponchos...

I think it is a sales tactic to guide people to buying direct vs resale. And those that buy the new resorts, may have a harder time selling down the road with th restrictions.

One of the big benefits of DVC has been the trading to other DVC resorts and starting with Rivera, resale contracts won’t have that option.

While it is not going to deter everyone to buy from Disney, it will play a role with some and eventually, More.

I've been thinking about it like this:

This impacts people who buy and flip contracts on the new resorts. This now won't be something you can do as easily. I fully, truly believe the first resale contracts for Riviera were a test of this, vs a distressed buyer. Example: giant rental groups. This is not insignificant business, renting points makes money. And the more people that rent, the less rack rate rooms are bought. So if Disney tests out this resale restriction, they force their competitors to change business models. Rental groups either wait for resales and have to manage points that are only valuable at the single resort (possible), or they want the flexibility of using those points at any resorts (for the rental pool value) and buy direct from Disney. If they bought new those organizations would also have to rent at a cost that made sense for them to lose whatever original investment on the resale market or hold onto those points. Again suddenly won't be able to undercut rack rates quite as easily, the appeal of flipping of stripped contracts on the resale market is now reduced, or because a resale contract comes along that is a good beefy buy (loaded contract), flipping out a used contract to replace it with a loaded one is also a bigger business decision. It also forces investment by rental groups back to the new DVC resorts specifically one way or another if they want to be able to rent into that resort. So Disney limits the resale market, eventually driving the money back to DVC.

And for the rest of the regular old buyers - they face similar decisions as above....on a smaller scale, plus no blue card. The resale pitch isn't quite so good either, you can buy resale points but they are ONLY good at that one resort. No availability if you want to take a trip? Tough cookies. Because you'll be competing with any person still holding direct points for any resort, plus your fellow resort specific resale people. Most people buy DVC because they want to go to Disney, and a lot of us can only go during specific times of the year. So if you buy resale and can't be flexible? Good luck with that.

With time and enough stories about above, the debate on direct/resale becomes much more serious. Buying direct becomes much more appealing. I.E - Need an April Vacation week? Better make sure your points aren't locked into one resort.

Already a good number of people will buy direct for some amount just for the blue card perks... as they play with this mentality, that buyers have already shown (buy 75 points direct and then resale, so they know a good chunk of us will) suddenly $X more per point for all the flexibility and perks, starts to become mickey math. AKA: Who cares about that X*$1000 today, if I can take the vacation I want and be in the "cool kids club" for the next 50 years.

Anyhow, to me Disney is playing the long game on shifting the buying pattern for DVC, the rental market competition for cash rooms and controlling the resale market. This will work and they will come out on top as the new resorts are built.

Last edited:
This sums it up quite well.
I think they're shortsighted, going with "industry standard" means they're loosing what made DVC different from other timeshares. And they're tarnishing their brand. We'll see how it plays, they have built in the POS the possibility to lift the restricts or to make them even worst (changing the booking window for resale owners of Riviera and future resorts).

going with "industry standard"
And this sums up Disney overall quite well. Been saying it for years: Disney likes to say they're going with industry standard (rooms, theming, customer service, et.al.) where once they used to set industry standards. That is a fundamental shift in the way they do business. Not coincidentally, their bottom line has shifted to ensuring not necessarily company success but major shareholders' success.

And this sums up Disney overall quite well. Been saying it for years: Disney likes to say they're going with industry standard (rooms, theming, customer service, et.al.) where once they used to set industry standards. That is a fundamental shift in the way they do business. Not coincidentally, their bottom line has shifted to ensuring not necessarily company success but major shareholders' success.
THIS. I was pondering what the newer restrictions could be and I immediately thought they could give earlier access for booking to “ full members” or at least to the owners at the “DVC 2.0” resorts. This would be a game changer wouldn’t it? It could lock you out of studios in your home resort! I feel like they are being downright ruthless which doesn’t feel very “Disney” to me.
We have been waiting to buy for two years now till we could do a cash buy , and now we can, we have to deal with all this. It has left me thinking that I may just wait and see. We for sure won’t even consider Rivera.

I believe in the short term they are certainly trying to drive people towards purchasing direct. There are a lot of potential purchasers who don’t know about resale but this is an attempt to influence the ones that do.
In the long term they are looking to either eliminate resale or garner a share of the resale revenue by either brokering the resale transactions themselves or by working with select resale companies.

There is a girls clothing company by the name of Matilda Jane that we used to buy a TON of. We started with resale because it was very expensive, but most mommas took very good care of the items so they looked nearly new. As we made more money and we sold our used, we bought new.
The company thrived because mommas knew if they needed to sell the clothes , they could so they didn’t mind the upfront cost.
The owner passed away, and the new owners wanted to kill resale because they also saw it as “ their” money.. most of the mommas I know quickly jumped ship after they killed the resale market.
The company is still around but took a big blow and you can find their stuff on Zulily all the time . Resale is non-existent.
Other companies stepped in and PROMOTED their resale value and they are thriving.
Seems like a familiar story.
My husband made the comment that the restrictions and price jumps are starting to make the buying direct seem silly. We can do a cash stay cheaper with Bounceback, passholder or just a annual sale.

I'm not sure Disney has a long term plan. I feel decisions are made for the immediate monetary benefit, perhaps not thinking of the future.

There was a reason in the beginning why they wanted to create their own timeshare and be better than other programs. However, Riviera makes them just as bad.

I think it is simply about making direct purchases more attractive so that DVD can reach & maintain whatever selling pace they've decided is their goal.

I also think that those on Facebook (or whatever social media) who think resale purchasers are preventing them from getting a booking is making it easy for Disney to implement the resale booking restriction. (I know that doesn't make sense, but then I've found a lot of misinformation and ignorance floating around on other social media sites. Maybe the Russians are using us as a "training" exercise, LOL).

DVC's one and only goal is profit and increasing profit.

I agree they think more short term than long term. There has been management that doesn't seem quite as concerned with making their mark but this is one that seems very focused on making the biggest splash they can and they do that by making the biggest profit possible for Disney Co. With resale restrictions at Riviera they feel they can drive purchasers from resale to direct. That's they only reason for it. My general feeling is that it isn't working quite the way they were certain it would.

I do not understand how they get away with it. They are giving themselves a competitive advantage, in that they can snatch up resale contracts, and then "magically" add back the very things they took away from the value upon resale. If I did not own before they started the resale restrictions, I likely would not have bought at all. Based on the current restrictions, I would definitely not buy direct. At least buying resale the value that the restrictions have taken away (so far) is already reflected in the price. When I read through the things that they could take away (when reading my original contract) I NEVER imagined that these benefits could be taken away from only a subset of owners (that subset being resale, at least for now).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter