What do we think Disney's END GAME is with resale restrictions

The real problem with these options is that people who only bought enough points to stay at a specific time in a specific room type, will be forced into buying more points.
I agree that they have algorithms that would make the balancing easier than someone in the general public trying to reallocate. Doing a straight reallocation by season would affect all owners some positively some negatively. It is when you start to increase one room size and decrease another room size where people really start to question the validity of how the points are being reallocated.

It is the statement above that is one of the major sticking points. If you adjust seasons, those people who bought just enough points to stay in a room during the 'cheapest' time of the year are going to be negatively affected and they rightly so will be upset.

There just isn't an easy way to deal with this.

It's all about money. Whether it is the resale restrictions, the attempted point reallocation, resale members not being members w/o buying some direct points, etc., it is always about the bucks. Every division of Disney is the same way. Food pricing, particularly in sit-downs, shortened park hours with more DAH nights, ticket prices, etc., all try to get you to spend more money. Employees earn more if they can bring in more revenue. We long time consumers who are aware can avoid certain things while most people don't even realize changes. Fortunately, as one who spends a few weeks there each year, I enjoy my time there regardless of these negatives.

I will respond as an outsider. At least a DVC outsider. As a frequent Disney traveler, we go at least once a year for the last twenty years. I have been to three different Disney resorts. I have been an annual pass-holder on more than one occasion and was a long time member of the Magic Kingdom club, when it still existed. I have thought long and hard on buying into DVC over the last 15 years. I even convinced my brother to buy. (He is a happy DVC member of 5 years). Something has always stopped me from purchasing. My wife not liking the fact that there is only 1 real bed in the studio is the main reason, but there are a few others.

My wife and I do not have grandchildren yet, but when we do, we want to take them to Disney, often. So, this week I nearly bought my first set of points, resale. That was until I started reading. It has been about 5 years since I last seriously considered DVC and at that time, the only negative I can remember about buying resale is that you could not use resale points to book cruises or resort hotel rooms. Things I would never do anyway. The appeal of resale, as everyone knows, is the price and that fact the I can choose any home resort I wish. I know you can technically buy any resort directly from DVC but it involves availability, wait lists and the points are expensive.

Today, the resale restrictions are huge. I do want the perks that DVC has restricted on resale points. The discounts, the DVC lounge all would be a benefit I would use. Restricting the ability to book other resorts is crazy. I honestly do not understand how people would buy Riviera now and know that the would not be able resale those points if needed. Who would buy them? These policies will have to reduce the number of new DVC members significantly, both direct and resale. New members are paying members, we buy things, why would they not want that?

So for those who don't want to read all of that. In short, I am not buying. Substandard Deluxe room (it's missing a bed). Have to buy direct (which I would do if I could get a decent price on my resort of choice. Uncertainty about resale ( Who knows what they are changing next). Blue versus White membership cards (creating two classes of "Owners". Too many negatives for me to purchase. I either own the property with the same rights as everyone else, or I opt out. Which Disney seems OK with. They think they will get my business anyway. Maybe, maybe not. We are planning a Hogwarts trip this year and will skip Disney for the first time in about 20 years.

I wish I had purchased DVC 10-15 years ago, but then again, none of the monorail DVC resorts were available then and that's where we want to be. I think the biggest negative for me today is the restrictions that reduce my ability to sell my property. Things happen in life. I am not going to spend $25,000 on points and have uncertainty about the ability to sell if I needed to.

I think the idea of DVC is a good one, and my brother and other friends of mine who are members are happy with their purchases, but I have no real options that are appealing to me today. I do not want Aulani or Riviera as a home resort, which is what is available now direct. Nor do I want to pay $220 a point for CCR. I do not see how a new DVC member can get a fair deal.

Totally agree with this. I feel like the restrictions on the Riviera only hurt direct sales and push more people to resale for the original 14. It's a lot easier for someone to make the commitment and buy direct if they know they can easily turn around and sell it a few years down the line if they want/need to.
I agree too, which is why I don't understand why they would put their new direct purchasers in that position. I guess I don't want to think Disney doesn't care. Boo hoo! I'm so glad I bought before all these changes started happening.

I will respond as an outsider. At least a DVC outsider. As a frequent Disney traveler, we go at least once a year for the last twenty years. I have been to three different Disney resorts. I have been an annual pass-holder on more than one occasion and was a long time member of the Magic Kingdom club, when it still existed. I have thought long and hard on buying into DVC over the last 15 years. I even convinced my brother to buy. (He is a happy DVC member of 5 years). Something has always stopped me from purchasing. My wife not liking the fact that there is only 1 real bed in the studio is the main reason, but there are a few others.

My wife and I do not have grandchildren yet, but when we do, we want to take them to Disney, often. So, this week I nearly bought my first set of points, resale. That was until I started reading. It has been about 5 years since I last seriously considered DVC and at that time, the only negative I can remember about buying resale is that you could not use resale points to book cruises or resort hotel rooms. Things I would never do anyway. The appeal of resale, as everyone knows, is the price and that fact the I can choose any home resort I wish. I know you can technically buy any resort directly from DVC but it involves availability, wait lists and the points are expensive.

Today, the resale restrictions are huge. I do want the perks that DVC has restricted on resale points. The discounts, the DVC lounge all would be a benefit I would use. Restricting the ability to book other resorts is crazy. I honestly do not understand how people would buy Riviera now and know that the would not be able resale those points if needed. Who would buy them? These policies will have to reduce the number of new DVC members significantly, both direct and resale. New members are paying members, we buy things, why would they not want that?

So for those who don't want to read all of that. In short, I am not buying. Substandard Deluxe room (it's missing a bed). Have to buy direct (which I would do if I could get a decent price on my resort of choice. Uncertainty about resale ( Who knows what they are changing next). Blue versus White membership cards (creating two classes of "Owners". Too many negatives for me to purchase. I either own the property with the same rights as everyone else, or I opt out. Which Disney seems OK with. They think they will get my business anyway. Maybe, maybe not. We are planning a Hogwarts trip this year and will skip Disney for the first time in about 20 years.

I wish I had purchased DVC 10-15 years ago, but then again, none of the monorail DVC resorts were available then and that's where we want to be. I think the biggest negative for me today is the restrictions that reduce my ability to sell my property. Things happen in life. I am not going to spend $25,000 on points and have uncertainty about the ability to sell if I needed to.

I think the idea of DVC is a good one, and my brother and other friends of mine who are members are happy with their purchases, but I have no real options that are appealing to me today. I do not want Aulani or Riviera as a home resort, which is what is available now direct. Nor do I want to pay $220 a point for CCR. I do not see how a new DVC member can get a fair deal.
Just rent the points and go wherever you want. :)

Shareholders demand growth. I mean wouldn't it be cool if you could be a car dealership who forces drivers to sell the car back to them or only drive it in this town?

The wild card here is going to be the Disney fans who love Disney so much they bought a timeshare without digging into every detail on the message boards. When they have to sell, they will realize what they bought isn't like what DVC used to be. When that anger is out there, Disney might find it much harder to sell timeshares from a nice kiosk.

Shareholders demand growth. I mean wouldn't it be cool if you could be a car dealership who forces drivers to sell the car back to them or only drive it in this town?

The wild card here is going to be the Disney fans who love Disney so much they bought a timeshare without digging into every detail on the message boards. When they have to sell, they will realize what they bought isn't like what DVC used to be. When that anger is out there, Disney might find it much harder to sell timeshares from a nice kiosk.
I bought knowing they gave park tickets for free at one time and they didn’t when I bought. If people like the Disney theme parks and DVC is how you pay in advance for future vacations, they have to decide if it’s worth it then, not for what it used to be. Most will probably not know what was. I do not think there will be anger. JMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter