what do you carry on?

peek

Earning My Ears
Any suggestions for flying with two children 11 and 7? Also what do you carry on? I tend to overpack carry on "stuff" to keep kids busy and some food if airline food isn't appealing not to mention lots of extra "stuff" in case we are stranded somewhere. ha

When traveling with my DD (she has done lots of LONG plane trips since she was 6), I do the following:

She has her own fanny pack - in which she carries her emergency identification info (in case we should get separated), a little bit of cash, a snack food such as a granola bar or raisins, her color game boy with fully charged batteries, a small notepad and a pen. In addition, she brings a book that she is interested in and has not read yet.

She stays very entertained this way. She reads, she doodles on her notepad, she plays her gameboy, and if she is starving - she eats something! It always helps if they have an in flight movie that is reasonably appropriate for her as well.

As for me, I carry in a small bag my passport, tickets, wallet with ID, credit cards, & money/travelers checks, digital camera, and my medication. I also carry a good book with me to read and a light sweater jacket. The rest I check. There is nothing worse than trying to hang on to a child, and a bunch of your possessions while navigating around strange surroundings. If you have your medications and essentials - you can purchase everything else in a pinch.

My DD (who has been travelling on long trips since she was 5 - she is now 11) packs her own carry on. She usually brings the same things as the Dixie Dreamer's child - gameboy, doodle pad and a book and she also packs snacks. I also usually pack in my carry on one surprise for my DD (usually a new book or special markers - or if I am feeling really generous, a new gameboy game) that way, when she starts to feel restless, I can pull the surprise out and it usually keeps her occupied for the rest of the trip.

Appreciate your feedback very much! I do tend to way over pack! I always think I need to pack an extra outfit per person in case luggage is lost. (etc!!! Emphasis on the etc. Smile.)
It will be alittle more challenging for me NOT to overpack with going in Feb and needing warm clothes as well as cold!! :-( It's my understanding that All Star Sports has laundry facilities so I can cut down with that. Thanks again!!!

I always bring my make-up in my carryon bag...really don't want to lose it and have to go without it;) .

My DD's (she is now 6) diaper bag from lands' end has become the best carry on for the plane! I can still pack a change of clothes for her and undies/socks for us, as well as a light cotton blanket for her, which I always find we need, and have more than enough space for other things. One year, the airline didn't have the "kids meal" we had ordered, which was a nightmare, so I will NEVER be without peanut butter crackers and juice, at least, again, plus a special "treat snack" that she usually doesn't get at home. Other than that, I make sure to have our medications, money (stash some somewhere other than the wallet), wallet, travel documents, cell phone or a list of essential phone numbers including the 800 number for the airline we're booked on, the limo service,and the hotel we're staying at in case of problems along the way. The bag also contains DD's toiletry kit, which we could use in a pinch, if necessary, and a plastic Mini M&M container filled with quarters (the regular size holds $14.00 worth). I also have a collapsible hairbrush, a "First Aid To Go" pack by Johnson & Johnson, antibacterial wipes and sunglasses in the front pocket. My DD brings her school backpack with things to keep her occupied, and I generally have surprise in my carry on to pull out if necessary. Last, but not least, I'll treat myself to a new novel and we're good to go! Am I over packed? Probably, but gotta tell you, the airport delays and cancelled flights have been much easier to cope with in the last 4 years since I started "overpacking!" :)

Our DD is 4 and is the best traveling child we've seen. She LOVES flying!
We have started to pack up her back pack for our trip in 18 days!!
So far we have a reuseable sticker/story book (we get a lot of these at Border's for her for traveling, they're great),
a hand held tic-tac-toe game (not electronic) which I found at our local party store (her favorite game), Crayola Color Wonder markers and mini paper pads, a Crayola travel games activity board. We will also add to the back pack her favorite blankie, a favorite stuffed toy. small packet of tissues, snacks, bottle of water and her Earplanes.

In the adult carry on, we always have some suprise gifts for her. Always helps when she starts to get bored.

We use to bring more entertainment things like the lap top with games for everyone to play. But all of this really adds to carrying a lot of stuff around. And trying to squeeze down those narrow aisles in the planes.

I always pack my bathing suit in the carryon because I would not want to have to replace it if our luggage got lost. DH and DS wouldn't have much trouble finding new trunks, but I am way too picky to be able to pick out a suit quickly.

DS (who's 6) packs about the same as everyone else said. Since we're traveling from Central Illinois and we usually go in the fall, we already have on a sweatshirt which comes in handy if the airplane is cold. If we're wearing jeans, we also put shorts in the carryon so we can change right away when arrive in Orlando (or even when we switch planes in Atlanta).

I basically try to pack what we absolutely couldn't do without if our luggage didn't make it - medicine, contacts/glasses and a toothbrush. DS usually gets a change of clothes or at least a clean shirt, just in case. I figure if we had to, we could each buy a new outfit and a few toiletries to get by until the luggage shows up.

Also, DH and I each have our own suitcase but we each carry one change of clothing for the other and we split DS's clothes up. That way, if only one suitcase makes it, at least the other would have one change of clothes.

Several of the airlines have stopped serving meals, so it is a good idea to pack a snack. (They still serve beverages and something like pretzels or peanuts). Call your airline or check its web site to know your carrier's practice.

My 11 yr old DD packs way too much, but she has to carry it. She brings her bathing suit, one outfit in case the luggage is missing, a water bottle, snacks, game boy & games, pad, markers, gel pens, (yes) her blankie (she still sleeps with it); I think she brings other stuff too.

I bring a water bottle, tooth brush & paste, hair brush & comb, a book, camera, medication, & a change of underwear, & simple breakfast (like bagels) if we fly out early.

Geri

Boy flying to Orlando sounds a whole lot easier then our trips out west skiing!! My DH insist on carrying everyone's ski gear on board in the event our luggage is lost!! We roll and stuff ski jackets and bibs into carry on bags! How nice it would be to "stuff" our bathing suits and a pair of shorts, but we drive to Orlando.:p

We do however pack carry on for our kids, including a lot of the same items the others have mentioned as well as surprises. Also GUM for departure and landing, it helps the ears!
I do want to stress that the children need id on them as well as your flight iterinary so that if you get separated they will have information on you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter