What do you do all day?

I can second most of what others have said, but will add another: searching for hidden Mickeys. We bought the book a while back (it used to be sold onboard, but doesn't seem to be now...), and I've ended up going around with each of my daughters over the years, searching for all of the listed ones. It's been a fun family thing for us, and we've spent several hours over many trips.

I can sympathize with your questions - I'm a super-planner type of person, and didn't know how I'd manage to spend days at sea without an agenda, but there are more than enough things going on (including the option to sleep late or take a nap!) so that I've never been even close to bored.

Finally, I'm hesitant to add this one, but I'll also mention that I've often found myself having to do some work for one reason or another during the trip. While that's obviously not what I want to do while on vacation, I will say that sitting on a lounger where I can stare out at the water is by far the most pleasant way to get that work done! Having the option of doing it on a sea day (vs. in the cabin late at night or something) is really nice.

I agree with the posters above, and would also suggest looking at old Navigator's on Scott's blog.
However, I'll also add -- if we had to do it again, we would not have cruised with a 2 year old (despite loving the cruise we did with one). For a variety of reasons, I would only recommend cruising with a fairly portable baby (who could be worn in a carrier for naps, etc) or a fully potty trained child over 3. We found the toddler-specific programming inadequate. Now, things may have changed (the child in question is now 5), but just a fair word of warning. It was much easier and better when they were both over 3.

The beauty of cruising is that you can do as much or as little as you want.

For us we look at the activities and make loose plans to do this or that, but our default is best described by quoting Peter Gibbons from Office Space "I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_Mickey
Disney subtly (sometimes not so subtly) inserts the shape of Mickey's head in various design elements everywhere on Disney property. Some people like to scavenge for them.
Yep. Basically the idea is to look for the classic three-circle Mickey "hidden" in various places around the ship. Truthfully most of them are not very "hidden" (e.g. in the scrollwork in the railings), but some definitely are - you probably would not notice them and it's a cool "surprise" when you find one. We find it a fun way to spend time - we end up exploring basically the entire ship, in something almost like a scavenger hunt (if you have a list to work off of, like we did). A few things you have to do only at certain times (e.g. only open house times), so it's not something you just do quickly. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but both of my daughters have loved doing it (from younger ages up through 17...), sometimes wanting me to do it with them, and more recently (now that they're older) going off to do it together.

There is a book (not sure it is OK to post links to online stores here, but a search on "Disney Cruise Hidden Mickey Book" or something will turn it up) that basically lists where you can find them. It's more fun if you "discover" them on your own, but we always enjoyed the scavenger hunt aspect, to see as many as we could, which you'll only do if you have a list.

My personal favorite from our last trip on Fantasy:
(SPOILER ALERT!!!!)
- some spots on one of the Dalmatians drawn outside Animator's Palette form a Mickey

There is a book (not sure it is OK to post links to online stores here, but a search on "Disney Cruise Hidden Mickey Book" or something will turn it up) that basically lists where you can find them. It's more fun if you "discover" them on your own, but we always enjoyed the scavenger hunt aspect, to see as many as we could, which you'll only do if you have a list.

Found I think, "Hidden Mickeys Go To Sea"

"Images of Mickey Mouse are hidden all around the Disney Cruise Line’s four ships and private island, Castaway Cay. Searching for them adds extra fun to any Disney cruise. In this new edition, "Hidden Mickey Guy," Steven M. Barrett, brings his sea-going guide up-to-date with hunts for the line’s newest ships, the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, along with his latest sightings on the Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, and Castaway Cay—over 300 in all. "

Thanks!

You can be as busy as you want, or do nothing at all. That's what's so great about DCL. There are movies and activities available all day long, partake if you want, or don't. Read a book in the cove cafe, find a quiet lounger in the shade, take a nap in your room.

My favorite thing is a lounger on Deck 4 with a book. Heaven!

I was on Deck 4 with my book - and - bummer, someone starting smoking a little bit away from me. Ruined the moment.

I was shocked how quickly the sea day went - so much so - I want my next cruise to be a TA! :)

I felt I had to sit by the pool with said book (ipad) for a while (2 hours) - then took in some trivia games, DVC presentation, had lunch - all I know is - it was time for the shower & getting ready for formal night! Our showtimes were at 630 - got there at 6 to pick my seat - then it was nighttime! ;)

I was on Deck 4 with my book - and - bummer, someone starting smoking a little bit away from me. Ruined the moment.

I was shocked how quickly the sea day went - so much so - I want my next cruise to be a TA! :)

I felt I had to sit by the pool with said book (ipad) for a while (2 hours) - then took in some trivia games, DVC presentation, had lunch - all I know is - it was time for the shower & getting ready for formal night! Our showtimes were at 630 - got there at 6 to pick my seat - then it was nighttime! ;)

Yeah, you do have to make sure you're on the non-smoking side.

Thankfully I've never understood "pool culture" - the smell, the splashing... Not my jam, so no "I must sit by the pool.". :D

Thankfully I've never understood "pool culture" - the smell, the splashing... Not my jam, so no "I must sit by the pool.". :D

I hear ya. I am not usually a pool sitter either - but it was my first cruise, and I was literally kind of in Rome (the Med) - so when in Rome......) :) It was really more about seeing the Mediterranean Sea, than "by the pool." Though I did go into the pool to say I did lol. For two minutes, because I was paranoid that someone would walk away with the ipad. And sitting by the pool was really a deck up - as there were no loungers by the pool.

The second sea day it was chilly, so I called it a day from the pool after an hour. I ended up changing, then sitting by the Cove Cafe (my favorite spot on the ship) drinking my cappucino and reading my book (notice a theme here lol). Then it was massage time! :)

We've only been on one cruise, and we have a toddler, but we were so busy on our 4 night cruise but we had so much fun, that we made sure that our next cruise was at least 7 nights. We did just that with a sailing booked for just after Thanksgiving this year.

On the first cruise, we had a day at sea, a Nassau day, and a Castaway Cay day.

Here's what we did:
1) Embarkation: we got on the ship around 1:30. After eating lunch, exploring a bit, doing the muster drill, napping, dinner, and the show, the day was over and we were all tired, so we went to bed after that.
2) Nassau: we stayed on the ship, ate breakfast, attended a few activities like character meets, trivia, and cookie decorating, ate lunch, played in Dory's reef, napped, ate dinner, watched the show, then turned in (we're not big on staying up late)
3) Castaway day: we ate an early breakfast, tried to be one of the first of the ship, found a great spot in the sand, and spent the whole day swimming, playing in the splash pad, bicycling, napping, and otherwise relaxing. Before we knew it, it was time to board the ship, shower, have dinner, and enjoy the show.
4) Day at sea: Let's just say characters and events galore, to the point that I don't even think we touched the pool deck this day. Before we knew it, found time for a nap, dinner, show, and packing for getting off the ship.

So as you can see, there's plenty of ways to spend time on and off the ship that you won't need to worry about finding something to do. Our next cruise is a 7 day with 3 sea days so we plan to do all the above again, plus a spa appointment, a Palo meal, and just a little bit more relaxation.

I recommend a warm cruise for your first cruise. I've done the Alaska twice (and would do it every year if I could) and while I love it, there were a lot of people saying that there wasn't anything for them to do because it was so cold on deck and too cold to sit on the balcony or sit by the pool.

You can keep yourself very busy on a cruise. There are activities throughout the day. There's a spa, a workout room, and you can never go wrong with kicking back and reading a book. Cruising is a great way to unplug. With that said, I also get bored after one sea day. The Alaska cruise starts out with 3 sea days. If it is raining outside or even just very cold, the weather cuts out the majority of the things that I like about cruising - which is being outside and looking at the ocean/scenery.

We've done 2 cruises. Our first was the 7 nt Alaska cruise. We did have that moment on our first full day at sea of 'what now?' We had our character breakfast that morning, then we went to the DVC member celebration, and after that we had no plans. The kids (then ages 12 and 16) weren't interested in their clubs at that moment--mine would generally go if there was an activity listed that interested them--they were in Edge and Vibe at the time. DD16 had also been feeling a bit queasy from the motion of the ship, so that didn't help any. Part of our issue was that we were so used to going to Disney world with the 'go, go, go' mentality. We did get into the groove of cruising after that day though. I enjoyed going to the naturalist talks on the Alaskan cruise, DD16 attended one with me. DH and both DD's went to see a movie on the morning of the glacier day while I was doing the laundry. We went to various family craft events, and did lots of character meets. Both kids had activities in the clubs one night and DH and I got to relax in Cadillac Lounge. DD12 and I enjoyed the pool despite temps in the high 50's/low 60's. Part of the enjoyment is that there are far fewer people in the family pool due to the cold air temps. The pool was heated and comfortable! (As far as the funnel vision, in Alaska, the don't show movies on Days 3-6 to maintain the quiet of nature...basically when you're in Alaska...days 2 and 7 are in Canada.) After that first day, we did manage to stay busy, even if I couldn't tell you 'what' we did. After that cruise I realized that we never did the shuffleboard and ping pong--and shuffleboard is always one of those things I picture on a cruise, lol. So the second cruise DH and I did shuffleboard...but we still haven't done ping pong! Our second cruise was the Baltic Sea one, only 2 sea days. We found plenty of things to occupy us this time. It actually helped that our oldest was now an adult and could attend the adult entertainment with us. Our youngest was 14 and had made a friend in Vibe--they hung out together around the ship and talked about K Pop bands--they still text each other over a year later.

We aren't sit by the pool all day people and quite frankly the crowds and "kid soup" aren't my thing. :P

We are early risers, so we're usually in cabanas when it opens. Then we go back to our room and relax a bit and then get our swim stuff on for when the pools and aqueduct open. we do our pool time while everyone else is getting breakfast. ;) Then we eat on the pool deck or get room service. Then after lunch we usually each take a kid, split up and go do activities around the ship that they want to do (mini golf, movie, character meets, special classes etc). Then dinner, the show and then bed for my youngest. One of us takes our oldest out and about the ship while the youngest is being put to sleep.

We are looking forward to the day one or both of ours are old enough to go off on their own and we can hit up the adult area. I have yet to set foot in an adult pool.

I don't have kids, so my sea days look a bit different than those with kids but...my sea days generally involved breakfast at Cabanas as soon as it opened (early riser here!) reading on our veranda, a brief amount time at either Satellite Falls or the Quite Cove pool, beverage tastings, ice cream from the pool deck, trivia, animation classes, Anyone Can Cook demos, and a nap.

The sea days were never long enough, and after being afraid of them and booking cruises with no sea days for our first 2 cruises, I'm not sure I could book a cruise without a sea day now. There were many more activities offered that I wanted to participate in than I had time for.

We never played shuffleboard until our 5th cruise, still haven't played ping pong. I don't really care about hanging out at the pools, but do like the Aquaduck. I have never hung out at the adult pool area, maybe I'll get around to it on our next cruise. There's always enough interesting things to do onboard and never enough time to do everything we want to do.

We've been on 5 cruises - most with sea days or port day where we'd stayed on board - and I have yet to go to the movies, play bingo or even eat lunch (one minutes it's not quite time and the next it's too close to dinner). I think I spend too much time in the spa.

I worried about this before my cruise as well - I have done several WDW vacations and like to stay busy. I can sit by the pool and read for an hour or so and enjoy myself, but I can't do that all day long and I was worried I would get bored on sea days.

I should not have worried! My sea days were full and busy! I went to movies, met characters, did drink seminars, took a tour of the ship, took drawing classes, ate snacks, played mini golf, did trivia... There is lots of time for relaxing if that's what you want, but also plenty to keep you busy!

I don't quite get the love for sitting by the pool.

I'd much rather be on a shady, peaceful lounger on deck 4 taking in the sights and sounds of the ocean in peace and quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter