What (even if given a million dollars) to just say correctly one time

Laparoscopic. I was trying to tell my husband that my aunt’s surgery was done laparoscopically and I couldn’t get past the first p no matter how many times I tried.

I tend to pronounce burglar as berg-u-ler but for $1 mil I could correct myself!!!

The bolded word above. I had the procedure done years ago and even to this day can never say it correctly. I cant even come close to spelling that word correctly.

I’m a New Yorker. There is something we have against the letter r. I constantly catch myself pronouncing library without the first r. Same with February.

Philadelphians, too. Liberry, Febewerry. Oh, yeah: Joolree for L&L fan. :p

I'm not being lazy or anything, it's just the accent. I'm losing it a bit, but when I'm back in the old neighborhood I slip right back in with the accent and the dialect peculiar to South Philly.

I cultivated a Mid Atlantic accent growing up "to be able to readily communicate with all" or so my acting teachers said, LOL.

This doesn't mean I can't speak a mean Bronx or upland Jamaican accent when the mood hits;). When I mispronounce a word it's normally on purpose and to make a point with "scrimps" being a good example.
The exception is most any kind of medical term; don't know how to pronounce them or what half of them even mean. When people of a certain age start telling me what their cholesterol count is or hemoglobin numbers are my eyes just start to glaze over..

Tchoupitoulas Street in New Orleans, believed to mean those who live at the river. Named for extinct Indian tribe.

Actually, I lived in New Orleans most of my life so I can say it, I just can’t spell it. Luckily my husband has a tshirt our daughter gave him that has Tchoupitoulas written on it.

Last edited:

sudoku - I can never remember if it starts with the o or the u sound, unless I'm reading it.

Sometimes I catch myself saying what sounds like why instead of while...the L just fades into nothing.

It makes you sound like a total goof (to put it nicely) when you're in the US, too.
I've never actually known a person IRL that says it; I've never heard it said except on tv. I sort of thought it was just a running joke thing, not something people really do, and it's hard to understand why anybody would. The sk sound is very common in the English language and I doubt anybody says b-axe-et (basket) or m-axe (mask). I have heard people with a lisp sometimes pronounce sk more like th, but that's not what's happening here.

Ask and axe are not really that close phonetically and it would seem you'd have to purposely mis-pronounce it. It's mystifying, really. I guess if it's purposely used as a slang term that's one thing, but it's not the same as a mispronunciation. :confused3

A large amount of people in Florida any way say ax for ask.
OK - I've visited Florida many times and don't remember it being a thing, but then again I didn't really spend a lot of time talking to locals. Regardless, why do you say it when you know it's a mispronunciation, and a fairly easy one to correct? Is it just a conscious decision to use a slang term, like saying ain't instead of isn't?

Sometimes I catch myself saying what sounds like why instead of while...the L just fades into nothing.

That's another thing people from South Philly do..."let's go out why it's not raining" or whatever. I *can* say 'while' if I concentrate. If I'm with, say, my sister and we're having a conversation we're probably incomprehensible to people who aren't familiar (or should I write 'fermillyer') with the accent.

Last edited:
I've never actually known a person IRL that says it; I've never heard it said except on tv. I sort of thought it was just a running joke thing, not something people really do, and it's hard to understand why anybody would. The sk sound is very common in the English language and I doubt anybody says b-axe-et (basket) or m-axe (mask). I have heard people with a lisp sometimes pronounce sk more like th, but that's not what's happening here.

Ask and axe are not really that close phonetically and it would seem you'd have to purposely mis-pronounce it. It's mystifying, really. I guess if it's purposely used as a slang term that's one thing, but it's not the same as a mispronunciation. :confused3
It's very common with people who are uneducated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!