What grinds your gears?

Around here, people leave carts in the corral with the quarter in them quite frequently. I've always seen it as a little act of kindness towards those who may have forgotten a quarter. Other people have helped me out when I've forgotten a quarter, so I try to return the kindness. I usually just try to offer my cart at Aldi to someone about to walk in so they don't have to worry about digging for a quarter. Our Meijer stores all have a mechanical horse that kids can ride for a penny. There's usually a small pile of pennies left by parents so other kids can ride even if they don't have a penny.

I never see a cart left in the lot at Aldis. I do see some with a quarter left in them. I just take the cart and leave my quarter in the next one. Although when there's not you can just walk in and the person at the register will give you one. You simply return it when you're done. I haven't seen anyone just walk away with the quarters.

People who preface their commentary by saying:

"Don't take this personally, but..."
or
"Not to get personal, but..."

And then they proceed to personally attack you. :rolleyes2

People seem to think that as long as they precede something with such a qualifier, they have free license to do it.

I'm not being racist but...............Insert racism here.
I'm not trying to be mean but............Insert being mean here.
Don't take this personally............... Insert personal attack here.
I don't want to sound uncaring but..............Insert sounding uncaring here.

My mom also loves to say, "Not to change the subject, but..."

And then she blatantly changes the subject.

Oh, and also, when people ask me, "May I ask you a question..."
I always snap "NO!" at them, just to see their reaction and for my own amusement. :flower1: (although I quickly follow it up by laughing and saying, "If you have something to ask, just ask it") :hippie:

Never mind the kids. I'm almost 60 and I supplement my income by returning carts left by those willing to forego their quarter deposits. I make about $7 or $8 per year. A handful of times carts with quarters in the slots were left adjacent to or even WITHIN the corral. I suppose those people couldn't spare the extra 10 seconds it would take to attach the cart to the others.

This reminds me of a Pathmark supermarket about a mile from where I grew up. It bordered a sketchy neighborhood and apparently the theft of carts became more than a nuisance. The store installed poles outside the entrance to prevent carts from being taken into the parking lot. Openings were wide enough for people to pass through but not carts.

Neighborhood kids would hustle pocket change by offering (sometimes almost demanding) to carry your bags to your car or guard your cart while you brought your car to the loading area.

My mom also loves to say, "Not to change the subject, but..."

And then she blatantly changes the subject.
That's just been used as a way to alert people when a shift in conversation occurs IME.

My in-laws use that quite frequently. Simply as a qualifier to let one know. They say that with the intention of changing the subject but are trying to be politely alert them rather than an abrupt shift. I tend to lean towards most people say that to be polite.

My mom and I just switch the topic with ease but we can pick up the shift in conversation and are well used to that type of communication style.

Come up and visit us sometime. Our carts take loonies - a Canadian dollar, which is at least worth $0.75 USD, so you could immediately triple your income. Enough to support your habbitt AND maybe even set a little aside for reaching the $500,000 mark on the retirement poll. :scratchin Of course with a dollar on the line, far fewer people abandon their carts with the coin in, so there's that.

Maybe I'll consider it if the carts start taking toonies (two-nies?) ;)

220px-Toonie_-_front.png

I visited Calgary in 1994 and had a good time. The main purpose was to visit this place. I think Canadi>n Airlines was the sponsor at the time.

Also went to the top of the tower and some of the Olympic sites outside of town. I guess I should return again.

calacr-92-049-040_141.jpg

This reminds me of a Pathmark supermarket about a mile from where I grew up. It bordered a sketchy neighborhood and apparently the theft of carts became more than a nuisance. The store installed poles outside the entrance to prevent carts from being taken into the parking lot. Openings were wide enough for people to pass through but not carts.

Neighborhood kids would hustle pocket change by offering (sometimes almost demanding) to carry your bags to your car or guard your cart while you brought your car to the loading area.

There was a Thriftway or Shop 'n Bag supermarket about five blocks from dorm in college and they had those metal poles too.

That's just been used as a way to alert people when a shift in conversation occurs IME.

My in-laws use that quite frequently. Simply as a qualifier to let one know. They say that with the intention of changing the subject but are trying to be politely alert them rather than an abrupt shift. I tend to lean towards most people say that to be polite.

My mom and I just switch the topic with ease but we can pick up the shift in conversation and are well used to that type of communication style.

Lol y’all sound like me and my mom and now me and Dd. We can start one topic, switch to another, switch back, pick back up a conversation we were having two days ago, switch to a different topic and finally back to the original—all in a short car ride. The first time sil was with Dd and I together, he just sat there with his mouth open like he wanted to add to the conversation. Dh laughed and just said “don’t even try. Just nod and agree every now and then” lol.

Lol y’all sound like me and my mom and now me and Dd. We can start one topic, switch to another, switch back, pick back up a conversation we were having two days ago, switch to a different topic and finally back to the original—all in a short car ride. The first time sil was with Dd and I together, he just sat there with his mouth open like he wanted to add to the conversation. Dh laughed and just said “don’t even try. Just nod and agree every now and then” lol.
:lmao:

Yes! Totally my mom and I and my best friends. And it's such a common occurrence it doesn't phase us. My husband's eyes usually glaze over when I get to talkin' with my mom, he can't keep up nor does he get much words when we really get going :laughing:

People who swear frequently are more intelligent, happier, healthier, and more honest. It's been studied and proven by science.

lol.... yet another study that's manipulated to get the desired result. :rotfl: I'm sure we all know enough intelligent, happy, healthy, honest people who were raised to not curse to prove this is yet another targeted study that got the results they were aiming for. I've seen so many nonsense studies that I can't believe anyone uses them as evidence, unless there were at least a million participants. If this particular study had a million participants, I'll reconsider my position.

Last edited:
One that makes me wish there was some way to get back at the guilty parties is when smokers throw cigarette butts out of their cars. Or drop them on the ground outside somewhere and leave them.

We are a no smoking campus but there are cigarette butts all over on the ground where the parking lot meets the walkway because they smoke all the way up to the walkway and then drop it and keep walking.

I wish there was someway that those responsible would be the ones cleaning it up but it does not seem to work that way.

One that makes me wish there was some way to get back at the guilty parties is when smokers throw cigarette butts out of their cars. Or drop them on the ground outside somewhere and leave them.

We are a no smoking campus but there are cigarette butts all over on the ground where the parking lot meets the walkway because they smoke all the way up to the walkway and then drop it and keep walking.

I wish there was someway that those responsible would be the ones cleaning it up but it does not seem to work that way.

Could they put something for the butts at that point?

We are a smoke free campus too but the college’s property line stops just before the main road so students know they can go out to that point to smoke. Instead of having someone pick up butts, the college put something out there but sort of his away. The students were told they had to use it or they would be ticketed by the city for littering. So far, so good. It’s not perfect but better than it was.

Ashtrays - the solution to this problem is easy access to ashtrays.

People who only know the "biggest, best, brightest." One person specifically doesn't know anyone who is just normal or average. Her kid's friend's father isn't just a doctor, he's head of XYZ super specialty at the most outstanding hospital in Boston. Her friend at work isn't just an insurance agent, he's the biggest selling agent in the northeast. Her minister isn't just a minister, she's elected head Poobah of all the ministers in the galaxy. It gets annoying. Sigh... I guess it's just hard to be mediocre old me.

People who only know the "biggest, best, brightest." One person specifically doesn't know anyone who is just normal or average. Her kid's friend's father isn't just a doctor, he's head of XYZ super specialty at the most outstanding hospital in Boston. Her friend at work isn't just an insurance agent, he's the biggest selling agent in the northeast. Her minister isn't just a minister, she's elected head Poobah of all the ministers in the galaxy. It gets annoying. Sigh... I guess it's just hard to be mediocre old me.
I see that a lot around here actually.

This made me think of that old Seinfeld episode!

JERRY: Evry-Every time somebody recommends a doctor, he's always the best. "Oh, is he good?" "Oh, he's the best. This guy's the best." They can't all be the best. There can't be this many bests. Someone's graduating at the bottom of these classes, where are these doctors? Is somewhere, someone saying to their friend, "You should see my doctor, he's the worst. Oh yeah, he's the worst, he's the absolute worst there is. Whatever you've got, it'll be worse after you see him. No, he's just, he's a butcher. The man's a butcher." And then there's always that, "Make sure that you tell him that, you know, you know me." Why? What's the difference? He's a doctor. What is it, "Oh, you know Bob! Okay, I'll give you the real medicine. And everybody else, I'm giving Tic-Tacs."
:rotfl:

Nasty and mean people...

The selfie taker's how many pictures of oneself does one need...

People who can't put down their phone for a instant... like say to pay for something, hold your kids hand, or drive the car, the list goes on and on....

Any phrase that starts with or has the wording " on facebook I saw " - "Why didn't you friend me or why did you unfriend me" - " why don't you have facebook" , everyone has face book, you should set one up, NOPE not really something that I want, or need to live my life...

People that don't take care of their kids and pets.... Neither asked to be here...

The word " adulting" what does that mean exactly?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter