What happens in the event of a hurricane

mom2aprincenprincess

Mom to 2 prince's and 1 princess
I’m not sure if this is the correct board, but what happens in the event of a hurricane if you have ONLY park tickets. Florida is obviously known for hurricanes, but we live near Houston and are also prone to hurricanes. In fact last year our city was without running water for several days and we were basically an island because our city was totally surrounded by water due to hurricane Harvey. We had no way out for days due to unimaginable flood water. My question is, what is disney’s policy for ticket refunds or extended expiration dates for something like this.

I’m not sure if this is the correct board, but what happens in the event of a hurricane if you have ONLY park tickets. Florida is obviously known for hurricanes, but we live near Houston and are also prone to hurricanes. In fact last year our city was without running water for several days and we were basically an island because our city was totally surrounded by water due to hurricane Harvey. We had no way out for days due to unimaginable flood water. My question is, what is disney’s policy for ticket refunds or extended expiration dates for something like this.
If your ticket has not been used at all, it’ll remain valid and linked to your MDX account.

If you’ve used a couple of days and then the park closes due to weather, they may issue you comp tickets to make up for the ticket portion that wasn’t used. Guest Relations will have compensation protocols in place so you’ll only need to contact them.

I suggest trip insurance. If you end up stuck in FL due to a hurricane, you'll have more expenses than just the lost ticket days.

Any suggestions of a good site where you can buy that and it covers all of that??

Check with your current insurance provider and also just google "vacation or trip insurance." Your credit card terms may also have some coverage. We use USAA.

I was wondering the same. I know you can get insurance when you purchase a vacation package, but can you get insurance for just tickets?

That's why I used the term "trip" insurance. You'll want more than just the tickets covered. Anyone can get trip insurance for any vacation, not just Disney.

I get my trip insurance from AAA (I forget which company they actually use), but it asks for a total value of the trip so I include the price of tickets when I purchase it. They have several different categories so be sure you get the one that covers everything.

I suggest trip insurance. If you end up stuck in FL due to a hurricane, you'll have more expenses than just the lost ticket days.

Agreed.

but can you get insurance for just tickets?

See, I'm not sure I would include tickets. If you can't go at all, those tickets remain yours, and even if they expire Disney still uses their value as a basis for you to get new tickets. If you've used some of the days, guest services/relations will very likely help you out. With tickets, you're not really out of luck, if it's a named hurricane that hits while you're there.

Trip insurance is for NON refundable things. Costs that Disney won't cover. And if you're there during a hurricane, you'll be using your room, you'll be dining (not necessarily where you had intended if it's bad enough, but still).

You'll want trip insurance to cover extra costs like delayed flights (though if there's a hurricane where you're going to or trying to leave, generally the airline itself covers those changes) and extra nights at hotels (that is a biggie).

So call a place that is like a clearinghouse for insurance for your trip (Here is the sticky describing why we can't link to the main site that helps with this: https://www.disboards.com/threads/filtered-cruise-insurance-link.3331750/) and tell them what you need.

I personally wouldn't include tickets. But then, depending on the cost of your nonrefundable costs of the trip, it might not bump you up to the next premium level to include them, so if that's the case then why not.

Over the past couple years I've used AIG, Allianz and C&F. The things I look for is coverage for lost/delayed baggage (replace clothing, etc until you get your bags), coverage for flight change fees (weather delays but also missed connection or too ill to travel and need to change the date), and I've insured the cost of party tickets like Halloween and Christmas. Getting all the pieces of my trip in place, then getting quotes online has worked out very well for me. I get great rates and the one time I needed to use it, I lucked out and had a fantastic policy that covered my flight change fee and refunded the unused night of hotel stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter