What is a "generous" tip?

flexsmom

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Over the months I've repeatedly seen people comment that for excellent service they tip more than the recommended amount. We did the same thing last year. But I'm curious - based on the recommend amounts (which seem pretty small to me compared to what you'd tip a typical waiter at a nice restauarant for 7 nights in a row at 20+%!), what do you think constitutes "generous"?

I don't know if I could define what "generous" is to me. At regular resturants around here, 15% is for standard service, 20% is for pretty good service. We've tipped between 25-30% for what we consider really good service, so I guess I would consider that "generous." Sometime the service is so bad that I feel like giving just the 15% is "generous" ;)

Since the cruise doesn't have the %s to go by, I guess different people would define generous as adding an extra 10-20%. On our last cruise, our asst server was always right there when we needed him, so we doubled his tip..a 100% increase. At Palo, we left an extra $20. I guess it just depends on the situation and the level of "extra" we think we've received.

Clear as mud? :)

Julie

We added between 90 and 100% to all tips to the server, asst. server, head server, and steward on our cruise, and also gave each a prepaid calling card.

We gave calling cards to the five counselors in Common Grounds.

We also left cash tips at Palo's, I think it was $20 for brunch and $25 for dinner, and I'm sure it was $5 for tea.

With the level of service we received, I'm not even sure that that was enough for everyone!

Anne

if in a restaurant 15% is "minimum" and 20% is a "good" tip (all subjective terms), than a good tip is 1/3 more (20%/15%) than a minimal tip.

If 25% is "generous' it would be 2/3 more (25%/15%).

Applying similar logic, maybe one could assume if you add oh, 25% on top of reccommended that may qualify as a good tip and 50% would be a generous tip.

I always try to remember the position of my server when I tip.

If I take family out and I spend $80, thatn 20% would be $16, bringing my check total to $96. But you know what, If i just round up to $100, I've only added $4 more to the total nut increased the servers tip $25%.

That $4 means alot more to them than me.

Remember:

"What goes around, comes around"

Originally posted by jgalecpa

That $4 means alot more to them than me.

Remember:

"What goes around, comes around"

Amen!

Rae

When I'm home, I usually leave 20% unless they are horrible (used to be a waitress). On the cruise, if they are good, I will double what they say, and this time I gave the phone cards to the waiter, asst waiter and room steward. (I'm an extremely picky eater, so if they help me get food I'll eat, I will double the tip).

Hi Cruise.

I don't know if I could define what "generous" is to me.

Here, I'll help ya. Ready? (I doubt it - lol). A Martian lands in your backyard. They need a place to stay while making repairs to their ship.

STANDARD - they can stay and sleep in your garage.

PRETTY GOOD - they can stay and sleep in your home.

REALLY GOOD - they can stay and sleep in your room.

GENEROUS - they can stay and sleep in your bed.

OVERLY GENEROUS - (I'm walking a thin line already with the mods, so why not just each Diser use their own imagination to complete this one)...

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Hi Cruise.

Hi BD....

Here, I'll help ya. Ready? (I doubt it - lol). A Martian lands in your backyard. They need a place to stay while making repairs to their ship.

OVERLY GENEROUS - (I'm walking a thin line already with the mods, so why not just each Diser use their own imagination to complete this one)...

hmmm... please clarify... Is this alien being taking the form of Jeff Bridges in Starman or of John Lithgow in Third Rock from the Sun?

;)

Julie

hmmm... please clarify... Is this alien being taking the form of Jeff Bridges in Starman or of John Lithgow in Third Rock from the Sun?
Or maybe Mork from Ork? Nanu Nanu!!!

Julie - I was thinking more of Ray Walston (the original My Favorite Martian)...

Julie - I was thinking more of Ray Walston (the original My Favorite Martian)...

Ehh... I think I'd fall into the "he can stay and sleep in my home" under these circumstances.

Well... check that... Ray Walston is deceased now and I'm not in the habit of letting the dearly departed linger in my household. So I guess I wouldn't be very generous in this case. :)

Julie

I have a question about tipping. Today I had a spa treatment at a nearby place and I still don't know how much to tip. Do you tip spa and hair people 20 percent too?

Where is Ann Landers when I need her?

GENEROUS - they can stay and sleep in your bed.

BD - well, that's one way to minimize cash outlay for your tips, BD! (LOL!) Think I'll just take a few extra traveller's checks as an alternative!

Originally posted by takemeaway
I have a question about tipping. Today I had a spa treatment at a nearby place and I still don't know how much to tip. Do you tip spa and hair people 20 percent too?

Where is Ann Landers when I need her?

I do. Although the lady I have do my nails in Florida whenever I'm there I give 25% to--she's worth it!

Anne

Overly Generous?.....

You know that my libido goes to Tir from Andromeda played by Keith Hamilton Cobb - yes, tall, muscular, black, nice thick lips, long dread locks and that Shakespearean manner of speaking.............

Ohhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmyyyyyyy mmmmmmyyyyyy!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter