What is a good reason or time to add-on?

ClosetDisMom

Mouseketeer
For those of you who have added on smaller contracts, when did you do it? What were your reasons? My husband and I just purchased a moderate contract resale. I now have an itch to buy an add on direct in order to have a small amount of points at something like BCV or BWV. DH says that I should wait to see what owning the contact we just bought feels like and how it works before we add points, if any.

So, when is the right time to add on? What are the right reasons? Just trying to figure out if I should scratch the itch to buy more now, later, or never... :mickeyjum

Your husband may not like my reply, but we added on direct within hours of having our resale contract loaded into our account. However, that was always part of our master plan. We knew that we wanted to purchase APs at a discount. Scratch that itch!

As soon as our resale points show up in a dvc account, we are buying 27 direct points. We also planned this out before deciding to go resale. If we buy more points, it will be after we really see what we need.

As soon as our resale points show up in a dvc account, we are buying 27 direct points. We also planned this out before deciding to go resale. If we buy more points, it will be after we really see what we need.

May I ask why you want to buy 27 points?

We bought within minutes of having our membership number. It was preplanned. The 25 point add on has already saved us $800 In annual pass costs, and we plan to go multiple times in the future, so hopefully these discounts continue. That one time discount, by the way, is equivalent to a $32 per point savings. If it continues, the savings just start to pile up.
The 25 point add on was built into our desired points.
If you are interested, I would add on sooner rather than later. I'm sure prices will go up, and the 25 point minimum could easily go.up to 50, or higher, anytime.

Last edited:
Your husband may not like my reply, but we added on direct within hours of having our resale contract loaded into our account. However, that was always part of our master plan. We knew that we wanted to purchase APs at a discount. Scratch that itch!

DisneyKLN:
Nope; he would not be a fan of your advice. Unfortunately, when we started the purchase, we thought that buying direct at a higher priced resort was not for us and didn't plan for a direct buy. We will probably not be APs in the foreseeable future. However, once we - and by "we" it was mostly me - started looking at what we can do with the point we purchased, the desire to go more often than once every other year (which was the original plan) got stronger. So, we'll see. I think I will being scratching, just not right away. :thumbsup2

We bought within minutes of having our membership number. It was preplanned. The 25 point add on has already saved us $800 In annual pass costs, and we plan to go multiple times in the future, so hopefully these discounts continue. That one time discount, by the way, is equivalent to a $32 per point savings. If it continues, the savings just start to pile up.
The 25 point add on was built into our desired points.
If you are interested, I would add on sooner rather than later. I'm sure prices will go up, and the 25 point minimum could easily go.up to 50, or higher, anytime.

Ben:

We won't be APs anytime soon, so the savings you quoted won't sway him. :oops: However, he wants to go more often than the original plan, so I have that going for me. We is to hoping I can save the money fast enough that the prices won't hike - or the minimum add on purchase... :confused3

May I ask why you want to buy 27 points?
We plan to buy in at Poly and their standard studio is 27 points for a weekend night in July. I'm returning to school to become a teacher, so July vacations may be our only option some years. I'd rather buy the two extra points over the 25 typical add-on now, than worry about being a point or two short and have to wait until the 7 month window to buy OTU points. We would stay a Poly upon arrival, then move to BWV where we have the larger resale contract. This will give the option for a three night stay over the weekend every third July or one weekend night in July each year without borrowing.

I would say that if you want to buy a small Direct contract at your home resort to get the perks, then buy it anytime.

However, if you want to buy a small Direct contract at a different resort, wait until you really understand the system. Chances are, that 25 points at a different resort will be hard to manage, and it will be easy to lose points. So wait until you understand what you are doing.

If you think that you will use the direct sales perks, I would add-on now prior to the minimum purchase increasing. If you don't care about the perks, I would gain DVC experience and stay at your expected favorite resorts prior to buying. We bought BLT and AKV without staying there first thinking that we would love them but we don't.

:earsboy: Bill

We plan to buy in at Poly and their standard studio is 27 points for a weekend night in July. I'm returning to school to become a teacher, so July vacations may be our only option some years. I'd rather buy the two extra points over the 25 typical add-on now, than worry about being a point or two short and have to wait until the 7 month window to buy OTU points. We would stay a Poly upon arrival, then move to BWV where we have the larger resale contract. This will give the option for a three night stay over the weekend every third July or one weekend night in July each year without borrowing.

Thanks for clarifying.

Since july is not the high demand season for DVC you shouldn't have any problems booking at 7 months. Maybe if you plan on arrive on the 4th.

Depending on your arrival time it might not be "worth" using points on your arrival day.

I've been thinking about if it is worth it to use points on your arrival day if you arrive late during the evening?. When we arrive we normally arrive at MCO at 09.00, we have to clear customs and so on. We might not arrive until around midnight. Are we better of just booking a value or moderate for the night or a regular hotel room and then move the next day to get a full benefits of the days booked? If you also arrive late during the evening you might give it some extra thoughts. If you plan on buying points directly to also get the benefits then it also makes good sense to at least have the points. But still if you arrive early then I would use the points, but late I dont know.

I wouldn't buy 25 points direct at a resort like BCV or BWV. With so many people buying those resorts for the whole "short trip in a studio" I think its going to get difficult to get a short trip in a studio and not guaranteed even eleven months out (it already isn't for F&W). 25 points doesn't go very far, even with banking and borrowing. If you want 25 points for the resale benefits, I'd buy whichever resort you already own. If you want BWV or BCV (especially BWV) I'd think about more points so you have some flexibility in booking a one bedroom.

Also, I'd be aware that perks can (and do) change and there is no guarantee that the annual pass discount will be there in the future - or that it will be as significant.

Thanks for clarifying.

Since july is not the high demand season for DVC you shouldn't have any problems booking at 7 months. Maybe if you plan on arrive on the 4th.

Depending on your arrival time it might not be "worth" using points on your arrival day.

I've been thinking about if it is worth it to use points on your arrival day if you arrive late during the evening?. When we arrive we normally arrive at MCO at 09.00, we have to clear customs and so on. We might not arrive until around midnight. Are we better of just booking a value or moderate for the night or a regular hotel room and then move the next day to get a full benefits of the days booked? If you also arrive late during the evening you might give it some extra thoughts. If you plan on buying points directly to also get the benefits then it also makes good sense to at least have the points. But still if you arrive early then I would use the points, but late I dont know.

Depending on how much you want to move around, you could stay at the Hyatt at Orlando International and then take the DME the next morning. I've considered doing that, it is a pricey room but I bet it would be nice to not have to deal with going to your resort after a full day of travel, especially international travel. Otherwise, I'd stay at a value like Pop since we are just two, maybe three people at the most.

For those of you who have added on smaller contracts, when did you do it? What were your reasons? My husband and I just purchased a moderate contract resale. I now have an itch to buy an add on direct in order to have a small amount of points at something like BCV or BWV. DH says that I should wait to see what owning the contact we just bought feels like and how it works before we add points, if any.

So, when is the right time to add on? What are the right reasons? Just trying to figure out if I should scratch the itch to buy more now, later, or never... :mickeyjum

That's probably the most responsible thing to do. Boyfriend said the same thing, so I am going to wait until closer to my new use year (June 2018) to buy points. Also when I checked, the guide didn't have any Bay Lake points and only wanted to sell Copper Creek, Poly, or Aulani points.

If you think that you will use the direct sales perks, I would add-on now prior to the minimum purchase increasing. If you don't care about the perks, I would gain DVC experience and stay at your expected favorite resorts prior to buying. We bought BLT and AKV without staying there first thinking that we would love them but we don't.

Bill:
Thanks! I would like the perks, but they are not a necessity as I don't think we will go enough to justify a discounted AP any time soon and we prefer the Dining Plan (because pre-paying for meals means less arguments which translates into a more peaceful vaction - we've run the math and know that it is not a $ saver necessarily, it's just a frustration saver :cutie:). I just wanted to get a few more points at another resort to get the 11 month window for non-family trips - like a F&W girl's trip. So... it looks like my husband is right.

PS You replied to another post a month ago and it was great advice. You told me to have my kids get involved in the planning for our July trip in order to figure out which resorts to try for at the 7 month window. Thanks again for that! I think it will be much better than their type-A, planner mother stalking boards and worrying about whether it is the right resort. You also counciled on several posts elsewhere that I read that as soon as you buy in, that DVC costs you more because you feel the "need" to go more often. Again, you were right on!:thanks:

-Gwen

Bill:
Thanks! I would like the perks, but they are not a necessity as I don't think we will go enough to justify a discounted AP any time soon and we prefer the Dining Plan (because pre-paying for meals means less arguments which translates into a more peaceful vaction - we've run the math and know that it is not a $ saver necessarily, it's just a frustration saver :cutie:). I just wanted to get a few more points at another resort to get the 11 month window for non-family trips - like a F&W girl's trip. So... it looks like my husband is right.

PS You replied to another post a month ago and it was great advice. You told me to have my kids get involved in the planning for our July trip in order to figure out which resorts to try for at the 7 month window. Thanks again for that! I think it will be much better than their type-A, planner mother stalking boards and worrying about whether it is the right resort. You also counciled on several posts elsewhere that I read that as soon as you buy in, that DVC costs you more because you feel the "need" to go more often. Again, you were right on!:thanks:

-Gwen

During your ownership you will stay at all of the resorts many times over so no rush. After or during each stay have a family meeting and have each person help list the pros and cons of each resort. After a few stays the info tends to run together so having it written will help you develop your strategies for future stays. Soon you will have a favorite list to pick your add-on from.

For me, it was a pretty simple decision. My first contract, through resale, came with current year points we weren't going to use, so we rented them. That paid for about half the price of a 25 point direct purchase. Annual pass savings and savings on merchandise my wife was planning to buy (she's addicted to Dooney purses) ate up a huge chunk of the other half of the direct purchase price.

Thanks for clarifying.

I don't know, but it seems like I keep hearing how many DVC rooms aren't ready until after 4pm...sometimes 6 or later even... so now you're talking wasting a bunch of time the next day getting out of one room and into another. When we drive, we arrive super late (usually after midnight) I fully enjoy being able to get a good nights sleep after traveling and be able to get up and get going whenever I please and already having my room "settled". If you go with another room for arrival night, I'd at least do a Disney resort so that they will transfer your luggage for you. But you'll still need to be out of the room by 11 and possibly "homeless" until late in the day / early evening. I'd want to just be in my room and done, but that's just me. When we fly, we take the earliest morning flight and check our bags at resort and keep busy all day. Either way, we deal with our luggage and room one time only.

Any advantage to buying direct in person? We'll be there during Christmas this December and are considering a small direct add on but no rush in terms of whether to do it now or by the end of the year.

Any advantage to buying direct in person? We'll be there during Christmas this December and are considering a small direct add on but no rush in terms of whether to do it now or by the end of the year.

They may toss some Fastpasses your way, or maybe a small gift card... but in my opinion, unless a price hike is imminent, it's usually better to wait until (A) you need the points to book a trip or (B) close to (but not after) the start of your use year... otherwise, you end up paying more $ in dues on current points, since the cost is prorated based on when you actually buy them. Prorated dues savings are roughly $50 per month per 100 points... so delaying 3 months on a 200 point contract would save around $300.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter