What is closed in your community....?

I'll fly for this Mickey Mouse outfit!
It’s official as of a few minutes ago... Seymour, CT school district closes 2 weeks starting Monday. I suspect all of CT schools will have announced close for 2 weeks before Monday... all day today school districts have been making the same call one after another every hour...

Good news.... it is spring. Time to enjoy fresh air out in our yard and walking the neighborhood with everything else other than stores and the like closing up...

Nothing closed here in Cape May, NJ that I'm aware of. A lot of cancelled events though.

Good news.... it is spring. Time to enjoy fresh air out in our yard and walking the neighborhood with everything else other than stores and the like closing up...

MS still wide open for now. As of this post no reported cases.

Outside right now here is pollen...heavy and thick. Which causes congestion, cough, and potentially low grade fever...coincidentally the same signs as coronavirus.

Be safe.

A lot of colleges and universities are closed/strictly online in Cali. Most are asking students to stay at their personal homes rather then return to the dorms, apartments, etc. My guess would be high schools are next..

Oregon: Gatherings of more than 250 people have been cancelled. Parts of the Portland zoo have closed, all schools gatherings have been cancelled (sports, conferences, etc), a few school districts have closed (just the beginning and fully expect more to follow shortly), many events have been cancelled, senior centers are closed, assisted living/senior living communities are limiting visitors, some libraries and public pools are closed. Unfortunately, we have a VA senior living community with a few new + COVID-19 infections. I expect that as more tests/testing facilities become available to test for COVID-19, we will see an uptick in positive cases (as well as distress, anxiety and panic buying).

Nothing here where I am in MT has been closed. We have one case in the entire state that is accredited to but not actually in the state. A MT resident from the NorthWestern Part of the state was diagnosed and is in the hospital in Maryland but was not in MT for the 14 day incubation period prior so there is no known danger at this time. The CDC classifies patients based on their state of legal residency not where they are diagnosed and being treated even when that person has not been in the state since November. One of the things that I have read is that it tends to live on serfaces in more humid environments which where we already have parts of the state that are abnormally dry this early in the year if we don't get some significant moisture we cold be facing this situation like we had in August 2017 https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Maps/MapArchive.aspx. It was not until the 2nd week of October 2019 that we only had a couple small spots in a couple of counties that were not at least on the abnormally dry ranking and it is starting to go back up again to where if things don't change hello summer and fall 2020 fire dangers and restrictions.
Made in MT trade show has been cut to one day instead of 2.5 days and is restricted to wholesale suppliers only so won't be open to the public to come sample the food. University system both the University of Montana system and the Montana State System has been asked to go to online learning starting March 23 until further notice but dorms, cafeterias, and libraries will remain open on the campuses at this time. NAIA women's basketball tournament has been cancelled along with the remainder of the Big Sky Conference basketball playoffs (both University of Montana and Montana State are in this conference), the Charles M Russel Museum in Great Falls has postponed it's annual auction, Billings Downtown March candy grab er St. Patricks Day Parade has been cancelled. Cher has prostponed her Billings concert originally scheduled for April 26 till October.
Currently both boys and girls high school basketball tournaments are underway with the open round games played on Thursday in Missoula (class C ), Butte (class B), Billings (class A), and Bozeman (class AA). Yes it is a drive 1-90 in MT and hit one of the larger town or one of the small cities compared to the rest of the country and you will find a basketball tournament going on. This may change when the director of athletics for the Montana High School Association meets with public health officials on Friday morning and the only reasons they even held the tournament is there are no known cases actually in MT (even if the CDC is giving credit to someone that I suspect is moving to another state but has not been able to change residency due to it being less than 6 months) and no team has to cross the state boarder to get to their tournament. They are increasing sanitation and emphasising Hygene so the line up and good game hand slap as the teams file past each other will not be happening.

State universities now extended spring break another week to allow professors to get the work done and make all classes online for students.

University of Nebraska is extending spring break and doing online, some schools in Omaha doing online classes, the State boys basketball tournament going on but with only essential personnel and immediate family members can attend, I guess they figure immediate family members don't or can't carry the virus. People aren't smart enough to stay home when they are sick anymore. One person infected here, traveled back from UK, was sick in the UK, flew home to Omaha, then went to a special olympics basketball game in another city. WHAT? I look for our small town school to do some online classes for a couple of weeks.

There are a number of things closed or closing here. I'm in St Louis where we have the 1 case reported in Missouri (20 year old returned from Italy last week with symptoms). As of last night, there is a 2nd presumptive case in Missouri in the SW corner of the state; girl that returned from Austria with symptoms. Other than the local girl that has been contained since last week, the closest case is over 200 miles away (Chicago mostly).

St. Louis City and County announced restrictions on all events with more than 1000 people. NCAA regional tournaments were to start here. They have been cancelled. The symphony and theater houses (live plays) are closed. All universities in the region have extended Spring breaks or gone to virtual classes for the rest of the semester. Stanley Cup champion St Louis Blues have had their season stopped (NHL). Bayer/Monsanto world headquarters (10,000+ people on one campus here) closed for a few days this week for a suspected employee. Proved to not be COVID-19 and the campus reopened.

I work at the largest hospital in the Midwest and one of the largest in the US. We have restricted all work related visitors and have started furloughing staff that have traveled to one of the CDC high risk zones (Seattle, Northern CA Bay Area, Westchester Co, NY in the US). Screening of all patients and visitors/family (questions regarding travel and symptoms only) is required at all check in areas. All group presentations (guest speakers, grand rounds, larger teaching seminars) have been cancelled. We are being encouraged to do as much as possible via teleconferencing.

Attempts to contain are mostly over. The intention of 2 week closures is to slow the spread so there isn't an acute peak of patients. This will likely spread the disease over more time, but lower the total number of people at any given time. This will hopefully keep the health care need to a manageable rate instead of overwhelming resources in a short period of time.

Remember, MOST people that get COVID-19 will have mild to minimal symptoms that don't require any hospitalization and recover just fine. Just like influenza. Some will die. Just link the flu. By Summer this will be something we talk about in the rear view mirror.

Until the next outbreak of a "new" virus.

j

Bert is home for the next month. The coke HQ has shut down except for essential personnel. My office has not decided yet about next week. We are home today though to stress test the remote system. Most schools are closed for 2 weeks or more.

I am waiting to hear the fate of the Boston Marathon. I know it will definitely not happen on April 20. The question is if they postpone it till Sep. That is the rumor that it will be postponed. I am hoping it is postponed and not canceled. I can do a Sep marathon, even though that means training in the summer of atlanta. it can be done. If they cancel it may be a few years before I get another shot at it. i am really hoping to find out today as my weekend training plan is 8.5 miles on sat and 15 miles on sun. If the race is canceled i am going to do 6 and 10. this helps us out as we need to go to my brother's condo and get more stuff done. All our other activities for the weekend have been canceled. We had a soccer game on saturday night and i was participating in a Hunger Walk on sunday (after my 15 miles) but not anymore.

Our state universities are online only now
Our local school district is open, but tomorrow starts Spring Break clear through 3/24 so I am hoping we get a clearer picture before then and we can safely operate.
I live an hour from Disney World and that is closed
They cancelled the Grand Prix here
but stores and most business that I know of are still open

nothing closed here yet, HS games cancelled, large gatherings cancelled, went to the grocery store yesterday, plenty of full shelves, i don't see any shortages here, don't panic people

Officially Boston Marathon will not be run on April 20. they are planning on running it Sep 14. i can make that work and it is before our Dis meet. I am rejiggering my training plan and toying with running a marathon in June as well but verdict is still out on that.

@tiggerdad sounds like MS has finally succumbed.

Nothing is closed in my little city, but all the TP is sold out. Austin cancelled SxSw- which is the biggest event of the year (all the locals are happy with it though, no drunks and traffic haha).
This is STUPID.
Less than .007% of the population has actually gotten the virus and yet the world shut down? The mass hysteria stupidity of it all gave me the final push to close my Facebook account for a bit. I'll stick to forums where news is not blasted in10 second blips.

I have tickets to Norway in May but I got a notice from the airline saying they are cancelling 3000 flights between March and June, so mine may get cancelled...if it does- I am literally going to Disney.

-edit- the local colleges are online only. (Why can't they just do that anyway?) City of Buda events are cancelled until April 12.

Last edited:
Here in Mich, events are canceled, school, colleges, etc. But what really hurts? There's not a roll of TP to be found in a 50 mile radius :scared:

On a slightly different but kinda similar note, today I saw a sign of the times: Mount Everest is now closed due to C.V.19. I'm beginning to feel like I'm living a sci/fi movie plot.

Pennsylvania has seen the closings of most colleges and some public schools. Grocery stores and state stores have lines just about going out the door. More importantly, there was no chocolate milk on the shelves for me to buy today. Heck, you can't stockpile a perishable. Some counties have shut down "non-essential" businesses. Everyone is trying to figure out what exactly "non-essential" businesses are. I was a public school teacher for 35 years. I am thinking that I am immune to just about everything. 😷

I heard some doctors from Italy speak on the news the other night. They said the same thing Teamubr said. Shutting down schools, etc will help slow the virus so that our hospitals aren't over-taxed.

I wish us all good health.

Attempts to contain are mostly over. The intention of 2 week closures is to slow the spread so there isn't an acute peak of patients. This will likely spread the disease over more time, but lower the total number of people at any given time.

I sort of feel like saying closing for 2 weeks is not really accurate. I mean, maybe they just needed a starting point/statement, but we now have 6 cases in CT... I feel like the next 2 weeks is when it will really get going. Closing schools now will hopefully reduce or slow stuff down, but I can’t imagine after 2 weeks saying, “OK everyone, now we go back to school.” as the spread ramps up...

I think “until further notice” is a more appropriate way to take all of this right now. Fortunately (and I imagine this will happen everywhere it is an issue) the state is waiving minimum school days required to complete an academic year.

In Ohio, all schools are closed for 3 weeks starting next week. Since a lot of local schools do not have spring break scheduled until 4/6, many are out for 4 weeks. Schools may have to go into June/July, but since the weather was decent this year, many schools have at least 5-10 days they may be able to use. Mass gatherings are restricted to 100 people or less and the state is suggesting that you stay home as much as possible.

There have only been 5 confirmed cases, at the opposite side of the state from me. I know that there are many in the area suspected, but just not tested, or results are not back yet. This includes a spouse of someone that works in my building. Luckily, that person is not from my company and we have an entire floor so risk level drops significantly.

I was literally getting ready to post when there was a release of 4 confirmed cases 10 minutes from my office.

Where I live, schools, gyms, movies, day cares, some malls, some churches have cancelled services.. Open .....gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores...

But I am not there at the moment. At DD house. Will return in a few days. Picking up groceries here and planning to drive home and hide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!