What is closed in your community....?

tiggerdad, teamubr: Did you see the report in one of Nebraska's major hospitals using a ultra violet light robot to disinfect up to 400 masks a hour? They use the robot to disinfect patients rooms after they've left. They say they can disinfect the masks up to 5 times.
We have been sterilizing N95s here for a week. We are using hydrogen peroxide systems (Sterrad). UV comes with some user risks, although we do have several UV robots for terminal clean of (empty) isolation patient rooms.

As with tiggerdad: Thank you for being on the front line and stay safe!!
Thanks!

I appreciate that. I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. I am an RN, but I have been in administration for a long time. I do have staff that are required to be on-site and I feel for them. My days are 12-14 hours of calls or prep work to create and implement a surge plan and recovery once we are past this.

j

Thanks!

I appreciate that. I'm fortunate to be able to work from home. I am an RN, but I have been in administration for a long time. I do have staff that are required to be on-site and I feel for them. My days are 12-14 hours of calls or prep work to create and implement a surge plan and recovery once we are past this.

j

I work with ag community as a Electrician so pretty much business as usual here. Fortunate to live in a small community about 2 miles outside of town. View from between my business and house out the front. There is advantages to being known as the "fly over state" at times, and this is one of them.

We have been sterilizing N95s here for a week. We are using hydrogen peroxide systems (Sterrad). UV comes with some user risks, although we do have several UV robots for terminal clean of (empty) isolation patient rooms.
What is hydrogen peroxide systems? Like a machine or a chemical?

Like a machine or a chemical?
Actually, YES.
It's a machine that uses hydrogen peroxide to sterilize (high level disinfect) things. We have certain instruments (scopes and cameras, drills, batteries) that can't be sterilized under pressurized steam (autoclave).

Here is the company brochure if have 3 minutes to kill.

STERRAD100NxwithAllClearBodyImage4.png

j

Last edited:
Ok cool, was trying to find a solution for reusing masks. Thats not going to work, lol. Unfortunately, using our air packs takes us out of service for a long time. And limited mask supply is not helping. Right now we have the surgical masks over the n95s.

Right now we have the surgical masks over the n95s.
We are doing the same thing in our units and ORs where we have a high likelihood of gross contamination. We are re-using N95s "until visibly soiled".

j

I will take this opportunity to say that the support we've gotten from local businesses and organizations has been appreciated. Tonight the wives club from the local naval air station sent food for us.

That's me in the background. Myself and the nurse in the picture confiscated the box of cookies.

IMG_0691.jpg

Our best friend's daughter is a NP here in TN. She is headed to NY to help there. She will be gone for 5 weeks.
Thanks to ALL health care workers.

Our best friend's daughter is a NP here in TN. She is headed to NY to help there. She will be gone for 5 weeks.
Thanks to ALL health care workers.

I have considered it, but since my full time position is not affected I have chosen not to go for fear I would have no job when I got back. There are other NPs here who have had their clinics closed due to isolation and thus not getting paid and have taken temporary jobs such as New York until their clinics open back up.

So far here it is steady, but not overwhelming. Certainly nothing like New York or what @Teamubr is seeing in St. Louis.

Certainly nothing like New York or what @Teamubr is seeing in St. Louis.
So far, we still haven't seen a big surge. We are still being told to expect it this week. Out total admitted numbers only went up 10 patients since yesterday. That has a total around 150. We have less than 30 on vents (we currently have about 175 ICU beds and plenty of ventilators).

Very preliminary indicators are New York may be getting close to a peak (sometime this week).

Hope for the best. Plan for the rest.

j

Ok cool, was trying to find a solution for reusing masks. Thats not going to work, lol. Unfortunately, using our air packs takes us out of service for a long time. And limited mask supply is not helping. Right now we have the surgical masks over the n95s.
We are having the same issue (out patient dialysis unit of 135 pts) We're wearing our masks over our N95s to conserve. I'm very grateful that at this time we're only dealing with two covid19 (asymptomatic) pts and praying that it stays that way but highly unlikely😢

It's crazy, right now 374,000 cases in the US and half of them are in two states, New York and New Jersey.

@tiggerdad we have some of the highest population densities in the nation. Bergen County is pretty dense in population. It was hit pretty hard from the get go. There were a few communities in lock down. I am 2 counties over from there and pretty much next to the westernmost counties which have less cases in general. However in population numbers, I think Bergen county is around 950,000 people, Hudson is about 700,000 people. Essex is around 800,000 people. Within an area of about 500 sq miles there is over 2,000,000 people. IIRC, you are in Mississippi, I had to look up size of your state which is just over 48,000 square miles with a population of just under 3 million. In Jersey terms, we have 2/3 of your state's population in about 1 percent of the area. NYC has about 8 million people in an area of just over 300 sq miles if I recall. Where I live, we have about 500,000 people in area of 500 sq miles. The county next us has about 100,000 people in 300 Sq miles. 140,000 within 500 sq miles. At one time, a town called Union City, NJ was the densest pop spot in the world running around near 60,000 people per square mile. Those number stood until the late 80s or early 90s when the far east took over in density.

I think this is the main reason why our rates or hot spot as you will is much greater than other places. Even other places such as Seattle do not have as much density substained as NYC. According to the latest population statistics it around 4 million for the metro area. 800,000 for Seattle proper. We have counties in NJ, that have that same population. NYC metro area is 20,000,000 or so.

This is one of the reasons why Covid has beaten us up a bit. Numbers to put it into prespective.

Last edited:
@tiggerdad we have some of the highest population densities in the nation. Bergen County is pretty dense in population. It was hit pretty hard from the get go. There were a few communities in lock down. I am 2 counties over from there and pretty much next to the westernmost counties which have less cases in general. However in population numbers, I think Bergen county is around 950,000 people, Hudson is about 700,000 people. Essex is around 800,000 people. Within an area of about 500 sq miles there is over 2,000,000 people. IIRC, you are in Mississippi, I had to look up size of your state which is just over 48,000 square miles with a population of just under 3 million. In Jersey terms, we have 2/3 of your state's population in about 1 percent of the area. NYC has about 8 million people in an area of just over 300 sq miles if I recall. Where I live, we have about 500,000 people in area of 1,000 sq miles. The county next us has about 100,000 people in 300 Sq miles. 140,000 within 500 sq miles. At one time, a town called Union City, NJ was the densest pop spot in the world running around near 60,000 people per square mile. Those number stood until the late 80s or early 90s when the far east took over in density.

I think this is the main reason why our rates or hot spot as you will is much greater than other places. Even other places such as Seattle do not have as much density substained as NYC. According to the latest population statistics it around 4 million for the metro area. 800,000 for Seattle proper. We have counties in NJ, that have that same population. NYC metro area is 20,000,000 or so.

This is one of the reasons why Covid has beaten us up a bit. Numbers to put it into prespective.
To add to that, the added ease of mass transit osnt helping. Trains , subways etc. Unfortunately the reliance on mass transit to help with cars and congestion has had a negative impact now. I work in the town next to newark. Its not close to hitting the midway mark yet. And people still are not stating inside.

I am GLAD to be in rural MS.

No offense intended to any of you, but this is the one time it actually works in our favor.

You guys up there be safe. Distance what you can.

Last edited:

No offense intended to any of you, but this is the one time it actually works in our favor.

Same for us in TN. At least we can get out and walk our property. It would be much tougher in an apartment building. We moved out of NY when I was 16.

I'm with you there tiggerdad, our state gets slammed alot about having nothing to do, it's a fly over state, don't stop here, etc. Well, I'm glad I'm here right now, the whole state only has around 1.9 million people in it. closest "big city" is 30 miles away with approx 250,000 people. So far in our county, 1 confirmed case of covid, the big city hospital reported last night that they had 5 patients hospitalized with covid with 1 on a vent. We actually are doing pretty good with social distancing and not going out. Don't have a stay at home order, hopefully, people will be smart enough not to go out if they don't have to without a order. Hope everyone stays safe and we are looking forward to the get together in October

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter