What is closed in your community....?

To add to that, the added ease of mass transit osnt helping. Trains , subways etc. Unfortunately the reliance on mass transit to help with cars and congestion has had a negative impact now. I work in the town next to newark. Its not close to hitting the midway mark yet. And people still are not stating inside.

We have a train out by us but don't use it since it only gets you into NYC at the end. We have been on it years ago but not anymore. It's easier to load into the wife's car and she drives in when we need to go in.

I am GLAD to be in rural MS.

No offense intended to any of you, but this is the one time it actually works in our favor.

You guys up there be safe. Distance what you can.

Mike, We have taken a few hits over the years. 9/11 comes to mind. I wouldn't mind being more rural. I tried to convince my wife to move out further in NJ but no dice. She is from the burbs of Philly. She is a true suburbanite. Me I could live a bit further out. Believe it or not, we have a few back waters in the state. Out by me, I can go about another 15 minutes, and it would probably feel like home for some of you. South Jersey has plenty of backwaters to get lost in. It is more rural than northern NJ. Lots of farms and the like. Believe it or not, Vineland is a city in South Jersey that is the largest in the state. I think it has something like 50,000 people for 120 square miles of land. Most of the land within city limits is farmland! We have one of the largest preserves of pine trees in the eastern half of the country about a quarter of the state's area.

However we will be safe. Most of our Covid 19 cases have stayed to the east of me towards the Eastern end of the county. I am not saying we had our own cases here. My township of 25,000 people has only had 44 cases with a couple of them passing away reported by the mayor in his daily town briefing.

Same for us in TN. At least we can get out and walk our property. It would be much tougher in an apartment building. We moved out of NY when I was 16.

NY as in upstate NY, NYC, or long island? Each is its own area. I really feel Long Island could be its own state. I travelled a bit around New York.

I'm with you there tiggerdad, our state gets slammed alot about having nothing to do, it's a fly over state, don't stop here, etc. Well, I'm glad I'm here right now, the whole state only has around 1.9 million people in it. closest "big city" is 30 miles away with approx 250,000 people. So far in our county, 1 confirmed case of covid, the big city hospital reported last night that they had 5 patients hospitalized with covid with 1 on a vent. We actually are doing pretty good with social distancing and not going out. Don't have a stay at home order, hopefully, people will be smart enough not to go out if they don't have to without a order. Hope everyone stays safe and we are looking forward to the get together in October

South Dakota? I know the governor took a few shots about not closing the state down. It seems most of the upper plains states were not issuing shelter in place EOs.

BTW I updated my county of residence to 500 miles squared since it was not a 1000. I knew it was not that big. However,

wow 17,000 people in almost 600 sq miles. In perspective, my township is 31 sq miles with 29,000 people. Many people think it's the country. I think of it as almost the city in some ways with the amount of traffic on our roads and number of businesses. However, we are mainly single family homes but have 5 large apartment complexes plus at least 3 large townhouse type developments. There are areas like where I live in which it was lake summer cottages, developments built mainly in the late 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. They still are building out the last few develop approved areas. The rest of the town has a good amount of open space in which cannot be developed. I think right now the town will have 2 or 3 more townhouse/ single family developments going on. Pretty much once the last round of development finishes up, I think the mayor said that's all. I want to say somewhere in the area of 400 more housing units total.

Even in the 14 years I have lived here, I have seen the change in the amount of development and people on the roads and the like. Also 14 years ago, I was not sold on the house we purchased. I wanted something further out but my wife was of a difference of opinion. You know who won that battle. If we had bought the house i wanted, there would have been a place for a trailer to be parked and the house would have been more easily added on too. Oh well....

Our WalMart started only using 1 entrance/exit and closed the other entrance/exit down. It seems to me it would be better to use one side to enter and other side for exit. There is a bit of a bottle neck now.

Anyone else’s stores making the move to one way flow in the aisles? Wally Weird is doing one cart, one person with one direction shopping. These where taken at our local grocery store this afternoon.

View attachment 486460

View attachment 486461
Nothing here yet except the one person one cart rule. We're using Winn Dixie instead of Wal Mart. They are providing certain hours for medical personnel and first responders. Lot easier and less crowded.

wow 17,000 people in almost 600 sq miles. In perspective, my township is 31 sq miles with 29,000 people. Many people think it's the country. I think of it as almost the city in some ways with the amount of traffic on our roads and number of businesses. However, we are mainly single family homes but have 5 large apartment complexes plus at least 3 large townhouse type developments. There are areas like where I live in which it was lake summer cottages, developments built mainly in the late 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. They still are building out the last few develop approved areas. The rest of the town has a good amount of open space in which cannot be developed. I think right now the town will have 2 or 3 more townhouse/ single family developments going on. Pretty much once the last round of development finishes up, I think the mayor said that's all. I want to say somewhere in the area of 400 more housing units total.

Even in the 14 years I have lived here, I have seen the change in the amount of development and people on the roads and the like. Also 14 years ago, I was not sold on the house we purchased. I wanted something further out but my wife was of a difference of opinion. You know who won that battle. If we had bought the house i wanted, there would have been a place for a trailer to be parked and the house would have been more easily added on too. Oh well....
Where out west are you, that's still pretty rural for nj. Where i work you have like 17k people in 2 sq miles.

Where out west are you, that's still pretty rural for nj. Where i work you have like 17k people in 2 sq miles.

I'm out in western Morris county. Our pop/ mile is just under a 1,000 well less than the Eastern parts of the state.

The governor now has enacted more measures by saying construction and landscaping is going to be restricted. Stores are going to have to be limited to no more than 50%. Since Sunday, the there has been lines to get into stores. He also likes to call everyone knuckleheads. He also hinted at further measures since he closed down state and county parks. Our town has said they will keep parks open until told otherwise. It was hinted this might be coming sooner rather than later. with everything going on. So who knows.

On Sunday, I had placed an order with Micro Center in Paterson, New Jersey. It was ready for pick up. When I got there, I had to check in to wait for allowance to get inside the store. I was told 2 hours. It took about 90 minutes to get in for a 45 minute long pick up since there were problems within the store. However, I am done needing anything tech related since we got everything we need for home office and more importantly the internet now works better with a modem upgrade. I digress.

Yesterday, I went out to get my wife's vehicle taken care of due to an warranty issue. They were very clean and professional about the whole process. Turns out they didn't have the part in stock for a recall needing to be performed that we were not aware of. After that, I went to the local Walmart for a quick shopping trip for some essentials like bacon. I was only able to get a couple of things on the list. There was a person at the door counting and monitoring the number of people going and out of the store. When checking out, there were 3 people directing customers to registers human or self check out. Very interesting.

I can see things getting tighter in the coming weeks at the rate things are going. It appears about once every few days 4-5 something new is enacted to slow down any form of commerce. They are claiming we are getting closer to the peak and the like but I don't know.

There was a person at the door counting and monitoring the number of people going and out of the store. When checking out, there were 3 people directing customers to registers human or self check out.

Our Walmart started the people count thing this past Sunday. I believe they are letting in 5 people per 1000 square feet of store. And really limiting when you can go.

D6FBAF93-310B-4751-92FA-90DE3C445D28.jpeg

Our grocery store on top of doing the one way traffic pattern is also keeping the people ready to check out down to one end of the registers and a associate is letting them know what register is available. I told my wife it was like the military commissary, all they needed was the automated announcement telling you which register was available.

I will say that the grocery store is doing a better job at disinfecting than Walmart. They are sanitizing the belt and credit card pad after each customer. They also have a three foot wide by 6 foot high piece of plexiglass separating you and the cashier, if paying cash you put the money in a bowl and the cashier will take it and put your change and receipt in the bowl and give it back to you, no more hand to hand exchange.

normally we both go for groceries, thinking Saturday I will just send bert. It might be easier.

Our Walmart started the people count thing this past Sunday. I believe they are letting in 5 people per 1000 square feet of store. And really limiting when you can go.

View attachment 486532

Our grocery store on top of doing the one way traffic pattern is also keeping the people ready to check out down to one end of the registers and a associate is letting them know what register is available. I told my wife it was like the military commissary, all they needed was the automated announcement telling you which register was available.

I will say that the grocery store is doing a better job at disinfecting than Walmart. They are sanitizing the belt and credit card pad after each customer. They also have a three foot wide by 6 foot high piece of plexiglass separating you and the cashier, if paying cash you put the money in a bowl and the cashier will take it and put your change and receipt in the bowl and give it back to you, no more hand to hand exchange.

That Walmart post isn’t real. It isn’t on corporate or local Walmart social media, the website or emailed. It’s a farce circulated through social media. They even spelled inconvenience wrong.

That Walmart post isn’t real. It isn’t on corporate or local Walmart social media, the website or emailed. It’s a farce circulated through social media. They even spelled inconvenience wrong.
Thanks for that. After a bad experience at Walmart a few weeks ago we haven’t been back and don’t plan on going back. There are a lot of other stores out there with better quality than Walmart.

After a bad experience at Walmart a few weeks ago we haven’t been back and don’t plan on going back. There are a lot of other stores out there with better quality than Walmart.

Our local walmart here I wouldn't even set foot in the parking lot right now, people aren't smart enough to stay out of walmart when they have the flu, say nothing about this virus. Someone posted on our local facebook page touting that walmart had just put up the plexiglass shield to protect the customers, WOW, only took them 2 months to install 1 piece of plexiglass since that is the only checkout that isn't self checkout.

Thanks for that. After a bad experience at Walmart a few weeks ago we haven’t been back and don’t plan on going back. There are a lot of other stores out there with better quality than Walmart.

Walmart is our only good option. H-E-B began shrinking their brand name selection and only carrying small sizes of them. I guess trying to push their brand. But then again, no matter where you go, people don’t know how to be hygienic down here. It was on the news that someone took video of a toddler walking on the floor in a grocery store with ONLY a diaper on. That’s a common occurrence even without the pandemic, as is people of all ages with no shoes. People think our numbers are low because no one has it. I would bet it’s because people aren’t getting tested because a) they don’t want LE keeping tabs and making them stay home 2) isolation checks would cramp their illegal activities

I heard several of the local supermarkets are running low on many things. When I went to Walmart on Tuesday, it was not super crazy but I also didn't see it lasting too long. I kind of saw another round of restriction coming for the place. The aisles were mostly stocked unless it was the cold/ frozen food sections. Then it was a different story. However, I will need to venture out today at some point for a resupply. Hopefully trade some TP for bacon! LoL

Good luck out there and be safe....

I have to go out for stupid stuff later. 8 yo has to dye easter eggs. I should do some kind of nice dinner for Easter also. Bread supply is gone. Also paper towels ( good luck with finding them) are almost out. Oh and the every night desert of ice cream. Yea, my kido is spoiled. Seems really dumb to go procure this stuff, but the look of disappointment on my daughters face isnt good. I feel bad as she is an only child and in isolation due to this . So anything that has a slight resemblance to normality is a good thing for now.

Luckily I had a turkey in the freezer and peanut oil. DW rounded up remainder of fixing for dressing. I'll fry a bird on Saturday when I'm off from the emergency department and hide eggs. DW luckily had rounded up the eggs and dye just prior to all this going down. We also have big pack of tuna from Sams so don't nobody go breaking those eggs when you're done hiding them...

I went shopping this afternoon. Let's put it this way, my family and I should be able to make things last for at least 2 weeks with what we have in stock plus what I purchased. We will ration certain things though like bacon. I managed to get 4 12oz packs since that was the limit. Am I lucky? sure we will go with that. However, this morning my wife went though our pantry and wanted to see what can be be made with on hand like bread. We can make bread. We have plenty of items to eat and snack on. We just wanted to make sure if there is a complete shut down which I have a feeling is coming for some reason as our governor likes to say knuckleheads a bunch. Politics aside. However our stores are limiting the number that go in. Everyone is suppose to wear masks. I would say at least 20 percent in the store were not which is disturbing. We can only purchase some things in a limited amount as well. I can say I hope we do not need to purchase anything for the next couple of weeks. We are once a month type people to begin with.

I can still get beer from the local craft brewery. I became a huge supporter of this place recently after seeing what the ownership has been doing for the community. I had the beer a few times in the past but since the restrictions of travel and gathering, I order once a week for a stock up. That reminds me. I need to order beer.

One last thing, everyone who is a regular around here and has met @snowmedic knows he as nice tent compound set up for the Fort. We all remember the fort right? LoL Luckily I don't forget non important things such as birthdays and the like. However, I had to sleep on the couch since my wife was not feeling well. That was the last night I slept there. The next day because I remember Vince
s tent set up and those comfortable looking elevated air beds, it made me think a bit. The local Walmart had one in stock. So the last couple of nights I have been living like a snowmedic in my living room. Luckily it is not Covid 19 but of all things, chicken pox. My wife never had them she was a child. I had them and had a really bad case. My DD got the vaccination but still got a mild case even after the boosters after years back in which I had to isolate my wife from her. While I was at work, my mother would come over for care giving duties since my father never had them. However, it's like camping right now with whole crazy thing.

At this time 3 years ago (give or take a week), we were driving to Florida for a surprise spring break trip. My DD asked if there were magic bands in the Easter basket this year. Sadly, no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!