What is faster from WL to EPCOT, Boat/Monorail or bus?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Boat to MK and monorail to EPCOT? Or direct bus from WL to EPCOT? Also do the bus and monorail drop you off in the same location, or is there an advantage to one over the other for specific destinations? Thanks!

Boat to MK and monorail to EPCOT? Or direct bus from WL to EPCOT? Also do the bus and monorail drop you off in the same location, or is there an advantage to one over the other for specific destinations? Thanks!
Fastest would be bus. IIRC, the bus drop off at Epcot is a little further away from the gates than the monorail, but not enough to worry about.

Fastest would be bus. IIRC, the bus drop off at Epcot is a little further away from the gates than the monorail, but not enough to worry about.
Although the Monorail station exit is physically slightly closer than the bus stops, you have to walk the full length of the parking lot tram twice, plus some, to get from the Monorail platform to the Epcot entrance, so the walking distance from the Monorail to the entrance is about the same as from the bus stops, although it will vary depending on where in the bus area you happen to get dropped off.

By the way, I asked because obviously we are staying at WL and I'm trying to plan an itinerary for 2 weeks, I think MK is probably easiest to reach from WL, but I thought (or maybe hoped) that EPCOT would also be a simpler type of trip due to the monorail. Based on the answer I'm getting (bus is faster) should I suppose there is no time advantage in hopping to AK, EPCOT or HS since they are all just a single busride away or is there?

By the way, I asked because obviously we are staying at WL and I'm trying to plan an itinerary for 2 weeks, I think MK is probably easiest to reach from WL, but I thought (or maybe hoped) that EPCOT would also be a simpler type of trip due to the monorail. Based on the answer I'm getting (bus is faster) should I suppose there is no time advantage in hopping to AK, EPCOT or HS since they are all just a single busride away or is there?

To me, monorail accessibility to Epcot is not a compelling attribute of WL. While yes, you can take the boat to MK or boat to CR, get on the monorail, then transfer to the Epcot line at the TTC - that's several steps/transfers and would take some time. It's certainly possible, but something I'd only do if I had extra time and wanted a more leisurely pace getting there. These routes would also require double security screenings along the way.

Otherwise bus to Epcot is going to be the quickest.

I love WL, but you really only have transportation advantages to one park (MK). It's one of the reasons WL is among the cheaper of the Deluxes and certainly the cheapest of the MK resorts.

To me, monorail accessibility to Epcot is not a compelling attribute of WL. While yes, you can take the boat to MK or boat to CR, get on the monorail, then transfer to the Epcot line at the TTC - that's several steps/transfers and would take some time. It's certainly possible, but something I'd only do if I had extra time and wanted a more leisurely pace getting there. These routes would also require double security screenings along the way.

Otherwise bus to Epcot is going to be the quickest.

I love WL, but you really only have transportation advantages to one park (MK). It's one of the reasons WL is among the cheaper of the Deluxes and certainly the cheapest of the MK resorts.
Wow, I havent been to WDW in a LONG time, I forgot they have security screenings now... but why do they make you go through twice? If people are coming off the monorail (which I assume is screened), then why make them go through a second time? In any event, how long would a second screening take? I just thought a 12 minute boat ride, plus a 5-10 minute monorail ride would be faster than a bus from a place as 'far out in the woods' (pun intended) as WL.

Wow, I havent been to WDW in a LONG time, I forgot they have security screenings now... but why do they make you go through twice? If people are coming off the monorail (which I assume is screened), then why make them go through a second time? In any event, how long would a second screening take? I just thought a 12 minute boat ride, plus a 5-10 minute monorail ride would be faster than a bus from a place as 'far out in the woods' (pun intended) as WL.
Dont know about the security screening, but the EPCOT monorail only goes to TTC. You would need to transfer to another monorail to get between TTC and MK (or CR)

The double screening requires a somewhat long explanation. But to sum it up, the Epcot monorail exit is configured such that it dumps people in an area "outside" the current Epcot security bubble configuration. It's an unfortunate byproduct of the physical layout of the exit ramp, inbound bus people, etc. So yeah, even though anyone on the Epcot line would have already been screened at some other point in their journey, you have to go through again at Epcot.

Security doesn't really take very long though. If you're bagless, it's a breeze. Sometimes the bag line at Epcot is a bit oppressive, especially in the mornings. It's certainly manageable, just something you have to deal with.

I think you're underestimating the timing on the boat/monorail to Epcot trip. In case it helps, from WL, your journey would be:

Boat from WL to CR (you could also take boat from WL to MK)
Walk into CR, go to 4th floor where the monorail entrance is, go through security screening there
Wait for monorail
Take monorail one stop to the TTC
Transfer to the Epcot line
Wait for Epcot monorail
Take Monorail to Epcot
Exit monorail, go down the crazy long ramp, go through security again

All of this could be anywhere from 30-60 minutes, in my estimation, if not more. It's hard to peg it exactly because you could get lucky on wait times, or you might not. So it's certainly doable - I've done crazier things(!) - but it's not exactly quick.

The double screening requires a somewhat long explanation. But to sum it up, the Epcot monorail exit is configured such that it dumps people in an area "outside" the current Epcot security bubble configuration. It's an unfortunate byproduct of the physical layout of the exit ramp, inbound bus people, etc. So yeah, even though anyone on the Epcot line would have already been screened at some other point in their journey, you have to go through again at Epcot.

Security doesn't really take very long though. If you're bagless, it's a breeze. Sometimes the bag line at Epcot is a bit oppressive, especially in the mornings. It's certainly manageable, just something you have to deal with.

I think you're underestimating the timing on the boat/monorail to Epcot trip. In case it helps, from WL, your journey would be:

Boat from WL to CR (you could also take boat from WL to MK)
Walk into CR, go to 4th floor where the monorail entrance is, go through security screening there
Wait for monorail
Take monorail one stop to the TTC
Transfer to the Epcot line
Wait for Epcot monorail
Take Monorail to Epcot
Exit monorail, go down the crazy long ramp, go through security again

All of this could be anywhere from 30-60 minutes, in my estimation, if not more. It's hard to peg it exactly because you could get lucky on wait times, or you might not. So it's certainly doable - I've done crazier things(!) - but it's not exactly quick.
Thanks for the detailed analysis GADad - so 30-60 (pretty wide difference) vs how long for the bus? (Don't forget, there's no way to know how long you might have to wait for a bus to EPCOT). I have too say though; I am a bit dissapointed that WL doesn't seem as convenient as I initially hoped, I thought it was basically like CR plus a boat ride..

Thanks for the detailed analysis GADad - so 30-60 (pretty wide difference) vs how long for the bus? (Don't forget, there's no way to know how long you might have to wait for a bus to EPCOT). I have too say though; I am a bit dissapointed that WL doesn't seem as convenient as I initially hoped, I thought it was basically like CR plus a boat ride..
In my opinion, 30 minutes using a boat/monorail is if everything goes EXTREMELY perfect. I think 60 minutes (minimum) is a better time to budget (wait 15 minutes for a boat, 10 minutes for monorail to TTC, 10 minutes for monorail to Epcot + actual transportation), and it could be as long as 90 . As far as a bus, I think you're looking at 15-20 minutes plus the wait for the bus. That wait could be 5 minutes or it could be 30 (supposed to average 20 minutes).

In my opinion, 30 minutes using a boat/monorail is if everything goes EXTREMELY perfect. I think 60 minutes (minimum) is a better time to budget (wait 15 minutes for a boat, 10 minutes for monorail to TTC, 10 minutes for monorail to Epcot + actual transportation), and it could be as long as 90 . As far as a bus, I think you're looking at 15-20 minutes plus the wait for the bus. That wait could be 5 minutes or it could be 30 (supposed to average 20 minutes).
What about buses to HS or AK, are they more time consuming then EPCOT? Based on what I'm reading here I'm starting to get the feeling like it's not much of a timesaver to be at WL : (

What about buses to HS or AK, are they more time consuming then EPCOT? Based on what I'm reading here I'm starting to get the feeling like it's not much of a timesaver to be at WL : (
Look at a map of Disney. It's not difficult to see where the various parks are vs. the hotels. That gives you an idea of how long the drive will take (add some time to stop at the Poly(?) for other guests. The only park that WL would be considered a "time saver" IMO is MK (direct boat). That being said, I *LOVE* the theming at WL. I think the YC/BC or BW would be the best picks for "Most time saving". They would have boats to Epcot and HS. I

If you're going to be there for 2 weeks, I wouldn't worry about saving time. Soak up being in the bubble.

Although WL is officially a "Magic Kingdom Resort", it's no better nor worse than other Disney resorts in terms of transportation time. You might save about 10 minutes over the most distant resorts when traveling to MK, but that's about it.

If you plan to spend time at FtW, like for Hoop-De-Doo or Trail's End, or at the CR restaurants, it does have an advantage there.

Thanks and agree. I should have probably emphasized that in my response above (that it could take longer than 60!). There’s a big and unpredictable difference in a trip full of “just missed it” boats and monorails vs. hitting each one perfectly. :-)

My parents basically walked up the ramp at Epcot to the monorail as it arrived. From loading at Epcot to unloading at TTC and walking over to the MK Express line was about 10 minutes. Then they had a 5 minute wait. Once that monorail arrived it was about 5 minutes to MK. At MK, it was about 10 minutes from offloading the monorail, walking to the FW boat dock and waiting for that boat. Then it was the 15 minute boat ride to FW dock where I picked them up in the golf cart. Total travel time: 45 minutes

I know this was FW and not WL, but that would have been only about 5 minutes less time. Plus, this was before the change to security lines at TTC.

Pluto 777...you mentioned a 2 week stay....WL is a wonderful resort...boating over to MK is great.....but would you consider a split stay and a week at WL and then a week at Boardwalk or Beach Club..the Epcot resorts....we stay at BW and walking or boating to Epcot is the BEST!!!!Greatest !!!

Pluto 777...you mentioned a 2 week stay....WL is a wonderful resort...boating over to MK is great.....but would you consider a split stay and a week at WL and then a week at Boardwalk or Beach Club..the Epcot resorts....we stay at BW and walking or boating to Epcot is the BEST!!!!Greatest !!!

Very much agree with this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter