What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were at epcot yesterday and was also very manageable, wasn't quite as slow as HS was but was still alot lower crowd than last year at this time. Did have some rain but nothing a poncho couldn't stop, mainly light rain. TT did get up to 145min but alot of that was due to rain delay but outside that everything else was 70min or less. Last year was alot different. TT at 210min , Frozen 180min, Soarin140min, this has been the norm now during xmas over the past 7yr or so. This year has been very pleasant so far. Literally no lines at the qs food and drink. For someone who hasn't been in 10-15yr, then yes the crowds probably seem crazy compared to the last time u were here but I can tell u, the past 10yr has been insane at xmas, almost every year MK has reached capacity on xmas eve and xmas day by 1pm and gates closed. I know cause I was here. Crowds are definitely down compared to recent years. It could just be the crowds are starting to equal out and spread out more evenly throughout the year, this would be good for all, us and Disney. I'm sure we'll get some official analysis after the holidays.

Well, at AK today and it is packed. Over the years I've learned to stay away from MK on xmas eve and xmas and it seems like everyone else has done the same thing. I'm curious if the xmas crowd is finally starting to arrive or if everyone just had same idea as us and came to AK thinking the crowds would be low. FOP is 4.5hr wait at the moment, that's insane. Curious if there anyone currently at MK and what the crowd is like there.

Well, at AK today and it is packed. Over the years I've learned to stay away from MK on xmas eve and xmas and it seems like everyone else has done the same thing. I'm curious if the xmas crowd is finally starting to arrive or if everyone just had same idea as us and came to AK thinking the crowds would be low. FOP is 4.5hr wait at the moment, that's insane. Curious if there anyone currently at MK and what the crowd is like there.
We also did AK today but it went very smooth despite the crowds. We had a Dinosaur FP at 10:00 but the standby was 5 min so we did it twice. We then did Nemo live with a FP 11:00 show. Still seats open when it started. 12:00 was our EE FP and almost rode it again with standby being 55 min. Headed to Yak and Yeti for lunch, no reservation cause we are Landry members so 5 minutes and we were seated. Next was the rapids with a 2:00 FP. Standby was 10 min. We did the safari 3:00 FP. Standby was over 100. Final FP was FOP at 4:00. Pandora was packed but we did our ride and headed out. Back at Yacht Club now, heading to Flying fish for dinner later. Overall, AK was packed but not as busy as last Christmas but the weather sucked. Cold and misting rain all day.

We also did AK today but it went very smooth despite the crowds. We had a Dinosaur FP at 10:00 but the standby was 5 min so we did it twice. We then did Nemo live with a FP 11:00 show. Still seats open when it started. 12:00 was our EE FP and almost rode it again with standby being 55 min. Headed to Yak and Yeti for lunch, no reservation cause we are Landry members so 5 minutes and we were seated. Next was the rapids with a 2:00 FP. Standby was 10 min. We did the safari 3:00 FP. Standby was over 100. Final FP was FOP at 4:00. Pandora was packed but we did our ride and headed out. Back at Yacht Club now, heading to Flying fish for dinner later. Overall, AK was packed but not as busy as last Christmas but the weather sucked. Cold and misting rain all day.

Yea, it was very manageable for us as well. We were able to walk on the new Up Bird Show, Lion King and Dinosaur. Our fp's were also pretty much walk on. I agree, it's still not as busy as previous years but definitely busier than the other parks we just went too. I'm guessing everyone assumed MK was going to be a mad house and decided to come to AK. Either way, still very nice. I hope this trend continues. We got MK tmrw and then AK again on 30th and then it's on to HP land at Universal, very excited to ride the new hagrid's. After that its Volcano Bay and then finish up with Sea World, cant come to Florida and not visit Sea World, we love the animals and dont forget about Gator land, definitely be there too. Guess that's why we love Florida so much, there is just so many things to do down here.

If I’m understanding correctly, you scored Kali, Safari, and FoP as 4th, 5th, and 6th FP? Or, are you staying Club Level at Yacht and utilizing the CLFP offering? Either way, that would be a great day at AK any day of the year. Even better on Christmas Eve!

If I’m understanding correctly, you scored Kali, Safari, and FoP as 4th, 5th, and 6th FP? Or, are you staying Club Level at Yacht and utilizing the CLFP offering? Either way, that would be a great day at AK any day of the year. Even better on Christmas Eve!
We’re not lucky enough to score anything good as a 4th, 5th or 6th FP+. Maybe we could have scored Bug lol. We purchased the CL FP+. It’s well worth it at Christmas time.

I found the crowds! We spent Christmas day at Yacht Club. Woke up to a manageable lounge for breakfast then headed to Storm along bay. We swam from 9:30 - 1:00 and the pool was empty compared to summertime. My wife and youngest headed to the spa for a mani-pedi and me and my 8yo daughter went to the marina and rented a 2 seater Sea Raycer boat. It was one of the best things we have ever done! We cruised Crescent Lake and rode to Hollywood Studios twice. We were on the water for 50 minutes and it only cost $34 with AP discount. One of the best bang for the buck for sure! But like I said, we found the crowds. We got showered and headed to DS for a 6:30 dinner and OMG! It was crazy crowded! I have never ever seen DS so packed! We got out of there right after we ate and when our Minnie van finally arrived 45 minutes after we requested it, it took 30 minutes to get back to our resort due to traffic. It was insane!

I found the crowds! We spent Christmas day at Yacht Club. Woke up to a manageable lounge for breakfast then headed to Storm along bay. We swam from 9:30 - 1:00 and the pool was empty compared to summertime. My wife and youngest headed to the spa for a mani-pedi and me and my 8yo daughter went to the marina and rented a 2 seater Sea Raycer boat. It was one of the best things we have ever done! We cruised Crescent Lake and rode to Hollywood Studios twice. We were on the water for 50 minutes and it only cost $34 with AP discount. One of the best bang for the buck for sure! But like I said, we found the crowds. We got showered and headed to DS for a 6:30 dinner and OMG! It was crazy crowded! I have never ever seen DS so packed! We got out of there right after we ate and when our Minnie van finally arrived 45 minutes after we requested it, it took 30 minutes to get back to our resort due to traffic. It was insane!
Thanks for the report!

How is it today?

Thanks for the report!

How is it today?
At Hollywood Studios. Did smugglers run about an hour wait, did RotR then ToT, RnR and just finished Brown Derby. Headed to Toy Story Land to do SDD, TSMM and AS2 Then Star Tours before we leave. Crowds as expected but not really bad. I seen ToT had a posted wait of 70 min. I’ve seen worse. RnR was at 85 around 1:30.

Just now leaving MK and I just cant believe how low the crowds were today compared to recent years. Dont get me wrong, its definitely crowded but nothing like previous xmas times. I was able to get 4th-SM, 5th-PP, 6th-BTM and 7th-SPM fp's today which has never ever happened in years coming at xmas. Were talking prime fp's there, not pooh or small world and all from 6pm to 9pm. Been our best trip yet. Most definitely a difference in crowds.

Last edited:
Just read a Disney article stating that Disneyland reached capacity today and had close gates. This has been the norm for WDW the last several years but not this year, seems everyone headed to Disneyland this year. I'm just wondering if the opening of SWGE scared off a lot of people thinking the crowds were just going be too much.

Just read a Disney article stating that Disneyland reached capacity today and had close gates. This has been the norm for WDW the last several years but not this year, seems everyone headed to Disneyland this year. I'm just wondering if the opening of SWGE scared off a lot of people thinking the crowds were just going be too much.
They entered the first phase which they stop seeing same day tickets that’s it.

They entered the first phase which they stop seeing same day tickets that’s it.

Sorry rteetz, not sure what that means. Are u talking about same day tickets vs the multi day tickets. The phase of a special ticket, promotion.

Sorry rteetz, not sure what that means. Are u talking about same day tickets vs the multi day tickets. The phase of a special ticket, promotion.
The parks go through phased closures. There is no hard close. Disneyland stopping selling same day tickets meaning you couldn’t go to the ticket booth and but a ticket for that day. They did not stop admitting everyone only new same day tickets.

I don’t believe WDW has had a full, phase 4 closure in years; but I could be wrong.
I’m sure rteetz could confirm if that’s accurate.

I don’t believe WDW has had a full, phase 4 closure in years; but I could be wrong.
I’m sure rteetz could confirm if that’s accurate.

I'm not sure what the phases are nor did I know they even had them but I have personally been at MK on xmas last several years and have been in the park when it reach capacity. First couple times we were already in the park and once where we weren't and was trying to get in. Now we stay offsite so not sure if offsite guests are considered a phase but we were told flat out that the park was at about 120,000 guests and they weren't allowing anymore guests in and I had to basically prove I had reservations and FP's just to get in. The other times we were already in the park and they closed all ticket booths and refused to let anyone in and even announced the park was at capacity. All within last 6+ years. This is the very reason we stopped going to MK on xmas day and even xmas eve.

I'm not sure what the phases are nor did I know they even had them but I have personally been at MK on xmas last several years and have been in the park when it reach capacity. First couple times we were already in the park and once where we weren't and was trying to get in. Now we stay offsite so not sure if offsite guests are considered a phase but we were told flat out that the park was at about 120,000 guests and they weren't allowing anymore guests in and I had to basically prove I had reservations and FP's just to get in. The other times we were already in the park and they closed all ticket booths and refused to let anyone in and even announced the park was at capacity. All within last 6+ years. This is the very reason we stopped going to MK on xmas day and even xmas eve.
The only phase which doesn't allow anybody into the park is Phase 4, which as mentioned above, hasn't occurred since 2009. There are various phases in between. The first phase, which is most common and likely the ones you experienced each time, doesn't allow same-day ticket sales, hence the ticket booths closing. The middle phases do require either onsite stays or ADRs (among other things that would get you in). A lot of times, Disney will release a statement on social media and on the app that says "Park at capacity", when in reality it's only a phase one closure and almost everybody can still get in. But that helps discourage people from going to that park.
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/capacity-closures

The last phase 4 closure (when no one is allowed in) at MK was 10 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!