What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of increased prices, increased crowds or reduced experiences are affecting Disney in any adverse way. Almost the opposite is happening and things are better than ever for business.
They are not hurting them now. When the next economic downturn hits, they are going to get hit harder than they have ever been hit before. Plus, the ill will that has built up amongst loyal customers will make it harder for them to recover.

They are not hurting them now. When the next economic downturn hits, they are going to get hit harder than they have ever been hit before. Plus, the ill will that has built up amongst loyal customers will make it harder for them to recover.
This isnt a very bold statement considering everyone will hurt during a recession or collapse.
As far as the loyalists go? Nostalgia is a heck of thing, esp with Disney.

I'm going in June. I am closing out our Disney Decade. We got married at the YC in 2010. Stayed at WL. Will have made a total of 5 disney trips since. Not lots by some standards.
After this last trip to collect stuff for our anniversary celebration, we won't be doing disney anymore.
It was magical in the beginning. But, now, I mean, we thought it was expensive in the beginning, but now, it's wildly more. And, each time, the magic is just a bit less, things are less clean, the show mask has slipped bit more. We always found the magic, but it was a tougher search each time.
This time, I have paid for a load of upcharge events, maybe that will mitigate the resort construction, the park construction, the castle refurb, the crowds and the lines.
But this is the last trip, so. I guess it is what it is. Disney really couldn't care less how many trips I don't book, they are crowded as it is.

Disagree. I complained about the last 2 price hikes on APs, so I didn’t buy anymore. I have never paid rack rate on a deluxe and never intend to, so nothing different there.

Everyone is allowed to complain about whatever they want here. It’s really easy to scroll past a thread if you know the contents will frustrate you. And I mean “you” in the general sense. The DIS should be a safe space for Disney fans to share their thoughts, whether they are positive or negative. You think I don’t get tired of the constant crowd level posts? I just keep scrolling 90% of the time.

I love WDW more than any other place, so I will work with my numbers to still be able to go. I don’t think anyone needs to stop going because they are upset about price increases. You just modify your planning to make the numbers work. I have a Disney vacation fund. I have to make what’s in there work.

And those who are truly fed up can discontinue their trips. To each their own.

Sure, you (generalizing) can complain all you want. As long as you realize that at the same time, you do become part of the problem. Many people are just fine with that. I could care less if people complain on here, it doesn't phase me in the least. That isn't what my comment was about. Rather, it was just a very honest observation. Something to think about. It's like most things in life though - everyone loves to complain, but no one really likes to take the action that might eventually force change.

Last edited:

Because the vast majority of Disney guests are NOT these board members. The people on this board make up a miniscule percentage of guests. For everyone here who complains prices are too high and they're done, there's 10 (I'm sure many more) other people going for the first time, or for a repeat trip.

But even on this board, how many people complain about the price, and then turn around and book their next trip? 🤷 As others have said, talk is cheap. If you're really fed up - stop going. Don't drop from a deluxe to a moderate, that does nothing. Just don't go, period. Otherwise you just continue being part of the problem.
I see it differently. If you complain about the price and then look at ways to cut down on that price such as dropping down resort levels, staying off site, dropping Hoppers, shortening your stay, etc.....you’re not part of the problem. You’re part of your own solution. :goodvibes

I see it differently. If you complain about the price and then look at ways to cut down on that price such as dropping down resort levels, staying off site, dropping Hoppers, shortening your stay, etc.....you’re not part of the problem. You’re part of your own solution. :goodvibes

Key word being "own" solution. You're making it work for you, definitely, yes :) But you're still not really making an impact on the bigger problem, because at the end of the day, Disney still gets your money. Because ultimately, as Disney continues to rise prices, you shortening your stay, dropping hoppers etc... really doesn't make a difference, because the price increases offset that. It's why we're seeing relatively stagnant crowd levels, even some decline, and yet profits continuing to increase. As long as they keep increasing their profits through raising prices, the measures you're taking don't matter to Disney. Though they certainly work for you :)

This isnt a very bold statement considering everyone will hurt during a recession or collapse.
As far as the loyalists go? Nostalgia is a heck of thing, esp with Disney.

Nostalgia fades with each new generation and even what I am nostalgic for at Disney is slowly disappearing.

Also, younger generations may now have nostalgia for Universal/Harry Potter and not Disney.

Of course Disney will always have people, but maybe not in the same capacity they are enjoying right now.

Key word being "own" solution. You're making it work for you, definitely, yes :) But you're still not really making an impact on the bigger problem, because at the end of the day, Disney still gets your money. Because ultimately, as Disney continues to rise prices, you shortening your stay, dropping hoppers etc... really doesn't make a difference, because the price increases offset that. It's why we're seeing relatively stagnant crowd levels, even some decline, and yet profits continuing to increase. As long as they keep increasing their profits through raising prices, the measures you're taking don't matter to Disney. Though they certainly work for you :)
But that’s just it. If there is still enjoyment, many/most aren’t going to give it up cold turkey. Why would they? They would only be punishing themselves. I think if you’re planning to boycott Disney completely due to crowds/price increases, the magic is probably long gone for you anyways, and in the end, someone is always there to take your place.

Sure, you (generalizing) can complain all you want. As long as you realize that at the same time, you do become part of the problem. Many people are just fine with that. I could care less if people complain on here, it doesn't phase me in the least. That isn't what my comment was about. Rather, it was just a very honest observation. Something to think about. It's like most things in life though - everyone loves to complain, but no one really likes to take the action that might eventually force change.

We are discussing Disney trips, not activism.

I'm not buying into the whole "Thinning The Herd" theory. It's hard to believe the board of directors sit around trying to figure out how to keep some people from coming to the parks so the people that do still go dont have to wait in long lines. Yea, they make a ton of money off their intial ticket sales but they also make a massive amount of money on sales throughout the parks, hard to believe Disney is raising prices in Hope's less people will show up and that the price increases will compensate for lack of attendance cause their not just losing tickets sales, they would be losing thousands per family besides ticket sales. If anything, they are sitting around trying to figure out how to get more people in the parks with unique ways to control the crowd like FP and VQ. It takes a massive amount of money to build new attractions and those new attractions come with a daily operating cost. The price increases are to cover all the added expenses that Disney has incurred from upgrading and expanding their parks. IMO

You keep saying "part of the problem" - Disney technically isn't doing anything wrong. We may not like prices increases, or cuts, but they are in the business of making money. As said above, this isn't a human rights issue. There's no call for protests, boycotts, etc. No one's rights or way of life is at risk here.

So those of us that like to go will complain that the prices go up on whatever is our tipping point, but we will find a way to go until we don't want to anymore. I was upset my fav restaurant at home took away a menu item that I love, but I'm still going as I like other things on the menu.

Honestly I never thought I'd be a complainer, let alone defending complainers, but man...those resort prices...

We are discussing Disney trips, not activism.

It's the exact same mentality though. But whatever. You guys have no comprhension of what I was saying, or maybe you do and don't like it, so you're just trying to twist it into something I wasn't saying. 🤦 At any rate, I have no more time to waste on this.

We can discuss resort prices and ticket prices all we want but it’s all relative. We all do trips differently. Just look at the budget board and see how differently people do trips. I know people that will never go to Disney because they don’t want to spend the money but will drop big cash on eating out multiple times a week and spend a lot of time going to the movie, concerts and plays. I’m sure if they added up their entertainment expenses it would be just as high as my Disney trips. It’s all relative to our individual entertainment wants.

You keep saying "part of the problem" - Disney technically isn't doing anything wrong. We may not like prices increases, or cuts, but they are in the business of making money. As said above, this isn't a human rights issue. There's no call for protests, boycotts, etc. No one's rights or way of life is at risk here.

So those of us that like to go will complain that the prices go up on whatever is our tipping point, but we will find a way to go until we don't want to anymore. I was upset my fav restaurant at home took away a menu item that I love, but I'm still going as I like other things on the menu.

Honestly I never thought I'd be a complainer, let alone defending complainers, but man...those resort prices...

Yes, those resort prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not a complainer either. I figure that my feedback in terms of value should come from my own purchases, and for my family the resort costs are getting way too high for my budget. I can compromise to keep my budget in place, and I figure many people will do so as well, however I have a tipping point in that regard. I am not at a stage in my life where I am willing to scrimp at home to afford a vacation, nor am I willing to scrimp while I am on vacation, so that does not leave too many areas to cut back. You see, Disney is only going to get what I set aside for a trip, and I am not willing to rough it to get there. My family has searched other destinations that offer either match or exceed the level of stay for the same money and we tend to use those destinations in between our fewer WDW trips.

I also think that it is okay for folks to find their own solution to rising costs. We always have done so, especially when my family was young. I don't think that anyone who budgets by compromising their choices in expensive vacation destinations is part of any problem, that concept is silly to me. I firmly believe the biggest compromise is on or offsite for guests, and how is that a bad thing? I love onsite, however I am no longer opposed to offsite since I have discovered the ease of Lyft. From there dining choices and costs truly opens up. You are no longer trapped onsite paying 19.50 for a glass of wine if you like to relax in a lounge, or 18.00 for a burger and fries, or 62.50 for a decent steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter