What is happening in the World in early December?

Sallimander

Earning My Ears
Good morning all!

I have a quick weekend planned for my family to go to WDW December 5-10th 2018. We've been down there that time of year before and have never had any problems with booking a resort or meals. Our home is Saratoga Springs, and while we have a ressie there I checked availability at every other resort and it is crazy full!! Is something happening during that time that would make things so busy or is it just the hustle and bustle that is now Disney World?

I can't even get a ressie at O'hana for dinner! But I'll keep trying!! :)

Thanks for any input you have!

I have no idea, it has been crazy booked for a while. I will be down there that week as well. It has me a little worried that the parks are going to be fairly crowded. Has O'hana started taking reservations? I know some other restaurants I have looked at haven't opened up booking yet despite the 120 day window.

Is something happening during that time that would make things so busy or is it just the hustle and bustle that is now Disney World?

While those dates are slow in the hotels, the first 2 weeks of December are SUPER popular for DVC members to book and they go fast! Points are low, weather is not blistering, and the Christmas decorations and festivities are underway! We've stayed that time of year numerous times and love it! :love:

Ohana has always been tough to get, IME.
A lot of the Epcot restaurants limit ADRs because they hold slots for the Candlelight processional dinning packages.
MK closes early several nights for Christmas parties so the MK restaurants have fewer time slots.
Sometimes there’s pop warner & cheer stuff going on in early Dec. too - not sure about this year.
But basically it’s just gotten to be crazy busy in early Dec..

I think the first two weeks of December are usually considered the busiest/highest demand of the year for DVC. As others said, points per night is the lowest and Xmas decorations are up.

I've only been during that time once due to schedule issues. But if I had to choose one week a year to go for the rest of my WDW trips that would be a top choice.

Last edited:

and add the amount of stock they take out of circulation for refurbishment, last two years seem tighter than before.

Yeah, with the low points structure of early December, lots of DVC members book that time. At 10 months out (needed vacation approval) I had to book 1 bed at BWV for 3 nights and got a studio at BCV for 5. Still I'm happy.

It's when we are going. Booked at 11 months at our hom DLT and because I goofed and forgot it was the morning to book abd got online two hours after MS opened I couldn't get a standard studio. Had to do a lake view.

We were not planning to go back as this was our last trip for a year or two as we have a new baby bundle coming late Sept. Just got in at 2:00 AM today from a wonderful week at WDW. But, we got flight vouchers that expire 6/12 and AP’s expire 12/10. I’m wondering if I should hold my breath for the Waitlists or give up? Ironically this early Dec time has been our routine for years until now.

We were not planning to go back as this was our last trip for a year or two as we have a new baby bundle coming late Sept. Just got in at 2:00 AM today from a wonderful week at WDW. But, we got flight vouchers that expire 6/12 and AP’s expire 12/10. I’m wondering if I should hold my breath for the Waitlists or give up? Ironically this early Dec time has been our routine for years until now.

Congrats on the new baby coming! :love:

As to trying to W/L for early December, whew, I don't know. I haven't looked but are there ANY nights anywhere during that time? What about immediately after T'giving? Like starting Nov 26 or 27th? If you could get part of your nights and only needed a night or 2, I'd say go for it if you can book cash as a backup.

DVC stays the 1st & 2nd weeks of Dec have always been busy.
They are the 1st & 3rd busiest weeks of the year.
It is the cooler weather, kids being in school, the holiday decorations being up, and lower points per night that cause this time of year to be so busy.

We got lucky on three of four nights starting 12/8. Now I'm contemplating Booking 12/11 or keeping waitlist for 12/7? This will be a short 4 night stay unless my one waitlist matches for 12/1-8 (I know, it's highly unlikely given the high volume of DVC that week).

You can book still at SSR but I am trying to piece together something myself I have SSR for 12/8, BWV 12/9 - 12/11, CCV 12/11 - 12/14, and back to SSR for 12/14-12/15. Trying to get BWV for 12/8 and CCV for 12/14. Waitlisted but I look everyday. I also am not having any luck getting into Sci-Fi for 12/10 or BOG for 12/12. Even at 180 days. :( Looking for that everyday too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter