What is something that you are dreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dread the 12 hour each way drive to NC next month. I usually come home in so much pain that I'm in bed for a week. We're taking up all the stuff we need for DS's graduation party, so flying isn't an option.

Exactly! He's going to experience what many Americans go through on a yearly basis, if they can afford insurance at all. Those who don't live that life appear to have no sympathy at all. I'll leave it at that or it may get political.

I dread the 12 hour each way drive to NC next month. I usually come home in so much pain that I'm in bed for a week. We're taking up all the stuff we need for DS's graduation party, so flying isn't an option.

Exactly! He's going to experience what many Americans go through on a yearly basis, if they can afford insurance at all. Those who don't live that life appear to have no sympathy at all. I'll leave it at that or it may get political.
Well, I don't have a dog in that fight, but I am gobsmacked at the thought of it. That's a almost 1/2 of what we anticipate needing as an annual retirement income, which will be modest enough as it is. There's absolutely no way we could afford that kind of expense. My heart bleeds for anyone who is facing the possibility. :sad1:

Well, I don't have a dog in that fight, but I am gobsmacked at the thought of it. That's a almost 1/2 of what we anticipate needing as an annual retirement income, which will be modest enough as it is. There's absolutely no way we could afford that kind of expense. My heart bleeds for anyone who is facing the possibility. :sad1:
Believe me, millions of Americans wish they didn't have a dog in that fight. America needs more bleeding hearts. Again, I'll leave it at that.

Making a decision on retiring , I work for the Government so you get a full retirement after 30 years, I have 36, but every year you work past 30 it gets you closer to the 100 percent of yuor salary. So Im real close but once you give them the date, there is no going back, I just go back and forth

I thought that when I first retired but it's quite nice not having to ask for time off to go somewhere, not have to set your alarm, etc.

I dread waking up every morning and reading that the horror show going on at the border has not stopped. My stomach will not unknot.
You mean the US Mexican border? If so it's awful I agree. If a person doesn't want detained don't invade the US, or don't get caught. If the people wouldn't invade. They would not have to go through what they are. But they do get room board and medical care for free. Not bad.

Funny story...I felt exactly the same as you last year when we went to Europe. :scared: I started dreading the flight back about an hour before the flight there landed. As it happened, we lost our Passports on the journey and ended up being stranded for 3 extra days. By the time we were cleared to fly I was so danged happy and relieved to be going home my dread of the flight evaporated! :goodvibes

We'll I sure don't want that to happen.
Still dreading it and it doesn't happen until the 26th.....but I really, really enjoying this trip!!!

Hearing from my doctor on Tuesday.

I haven't been feeling well so my doctor ran some tests. Those results were not favorable so she ordered another set of tests. Those also were not favorable so she ordered one other test. I get those results this coming Tuesday.

She's a really great doctor and she's working very hard to get to the root cause of my issues but still. I told her I was not coming back because she always gives me bad news.

Retiring. Hope to do it at 63 in 2 years. No pension, just IRA, 401K and savings. Won't touch Social Security until 66 1/2. I will have to pay for my own health insurance for 2 years until I qualify for Medicare, and that is looking at about $22,000 a year. My Financial Planner and CPA and all the software they use say I can do it. But just will be odd not having money coming in, and spending down 40+ years of savings.
You sound just like my parents a few years ago. :rotfl:You can do it! That is what I told them. They saved for years to be able to do that.

I have a wedding this weekend in Canada. I'm driving because I was trying to save some money. It's a 9 hour drive both ways, and I have to work Friday and Monday....I also won't know many people there, and it's not for a particular close friend. I REALLY regret RSVPing yes.

Packing DS18 up for his move to school one month from today. Moving him. LEAVING HIM THERE! He is ready and looking forward to it. I am not.

This was me a year ago. I totally get it. I was sad for myself, but so incredibly excited for my son to be going to a great school with an amazing program for his very specialized major (musical theater). Too bad his dream school had to be on the opposite coast!

It was definitely an adjustment, but it was actually easier than I thought it would be. We were fortunate that he loved his classes (well, music theory not so much), made lots of friends, stayed out of trouble (that we know of!), and perhaps most importantly (for me at least), stayed in touch often. My only request was that I hear from him at least once per day. It could just be a quick text with an emoji. He didn't even have to say anything. I just wanted to know he was alive and well. I was fortunate that he texted or even called each day. This is a sad but happy milestone. If your son is ready and willing to branch out on his own, you did great, Mom! Enjoy your success!

In terms of the thread topic, I am dreading starting work at summer school tomorrow. My classroom just finished a tough year this past week with 17 special needs preschool student (over two daily session, thankfully!). Now we jump right into the summer session. At least it's only one 3-hour session each day, but we will have 10 kids! Only the most severe kids qualify for the summer session, so we will be on our toes the whole time. We're also getting kids from other classes, so there will be a learning curve to get to know them. I don't have to work summer school. I signed up voluntarily. Why? Because I'm already making deposits for our Thanksgiving trip to WDW/Universal. The extra paycheck will be helpful. So off to work I go...

You mean the US Mexican border? If so it's awful I agree. If a person doesn't want detained don't invade the US, or don't get caught. If the people wouldn't invade. They would not have to go through what they are. But they do get room board and medical care for free. Not bad.

Bless your bleeding heart, Art. Sitting in a jail cell is much better than being with one's children. I hope in the next life everyone gets what they have coming to them. Good or bad.

Short term- Summer. Ours get so hot and SO humid that if you don’t live in a/c, it’s unbearable. I love when we get our first frost warning of the fall.

Long term- the future. MS has no rhyme or reason so I could wake up blind tomorrow, or lose the use of my legs in five years. I don’t dwell on it but it’s always in the back of my mind.

Hearing from my doctor on Tuesday.

I haven't been feeling well so my doctor ran some tests. Those results were not favorable so she ordered another set of tests. Those also were not favorable so she ordered one other test. I get those results this coming Tuesday.

She's a really great doctor and she's working very hard to get to the root cause of my issues but still. I told her I was not coming back because she always gives me bad news.

:hug:

Long term- the future. MS has no rhyme or reason so I could wake up blind tomorrow, or lose the use of my legs in five years. I don’t dwell on it but it’s always in the back of my mind.

:hug:

Short term- Summer. Ours get so hot and SO humid that if you don’t live in a/c, it’s unbearable. I love when we get our first frost warning of the fall.

I'm not dreading summer at all (because I work on the school schedule :cheer2: ) but by the end, I will be with you in looking forward to that first frost. - For me it's because it kills the bugs.

These people didn't get caught. They weren't hiding or sneaking in. They are seeking asylum. That is not a crime

My mother in law dying. Since she and my husband have not spoken in 5 years I dread having to deal with her death.

When I first read this I thought "Oh, Oh-another bleeding heart". But then, unfortunately, you spoke exactly what we think. For all those who think otherwise, walk a mile in my shoes, 15 minutes from the US/Mexico border.

Anyways, back to the original poster who's not sure about retirement. DH fought it for years, but then one day he had an issue at work, called our financial planner, and said "Can I afford to retire?" Now all he keeps saying is "If I'd known how great it was, I would have retired years ago."
My fear is being separated from DH, because one of us is in a nursing home.

When I first read this I thought "Oh, Oh-another bleeding heart". But then, unfortunately, you spoke exactly what we think. For all those who think otherwise, walk a mile in my shoes, 15 minutes from the US/Mexico border.

Anyways, back to the original poster who's not sure about retirement. DH fought it for years, but then one day he had an issue at work, called our financial planner, and said "Can I afford to retire?" Now all he keeps saying is "If I'd known how great it was, I would have retired years ago."
My fear is being separated from DH, because one of us is in a nursing home.

Speaking about walking a mile in another shoes, just for one minute imagine the horror the other side is living. Innocent children in detention camps without their parents. Monsters.

Last edited:
Making a decision on retiring , I work for the Government so you get a full retirement after 30 years, I have 36, but every year you work past 30 it gets you closer to the 100 percent of yuor salary. So Im real close but once you give them the date, there is no going back, I just go back and forth

I just set my retirement date for later this summer. I've gone back and forth on dates for the last 6 months and changed it 4 times already. No pension so kept thinking one more paycheck is good before relying on my 401k. Luckily I'm grandfathered into retiree health at work since I have several years to go before Medicare. Then I read something that said you can always make more money but you can never get back time. That made me decide on a date and plan for life in retirement. Good luck on your decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!