What is the best character meal for solo Disney travelers?

I've been steadily working my way through all the character meals on site. I think for overall experience Tusker House has to be my favourite so far.
As a solo traveller best tip I ever got was asking your server if they can take a picture at the beginning of the meal OR ask the character when they arrive. The handlers in theory are on the lookout for when the characters need them so the characters are able to get their attention pretty easily. Selfies with princesses are easy but characters like Pooh and Mickey have massive heads so if you don't have a selfie stick (non extendable of course) it is difficult to get their picture by yourself.
I've had people from other tables offer to take pics for me and I do the same for them so they all get in the photo but like @DaisyDuck001 said, not everyone is comfortable with this.

I've been steadily working my way through all the character meals on site. I think for overall experience Tusker House has to be my favourite so far.
As a solo traveller best tip I ever got was asking your server if they can take a picture at the beginning of the meal OR ask the character when they arrive. The handlers in theory are on the lookout for when the characters need them so the characters are able to get their attention pretty easily.

Tusker House is also my favorite (mostly because of the food), even though I've found the characters often go by too fast there.

When solo I do ask the server at the beginning of the meal if they can take pictures of me with the characters, but it often turns out that the server is busy with another table when the character arrives at mine.

Sometimes I've asked the character who can take our picture, if both the server and the handler are out of the area. On occasion the character then gives the camera to a person at the next table. I haven't seen the character get the handler's attention when the handler is out of the immediate area, but anything's possible and I'm glad this has apparently worked for some people.

Also on occasion I've taken selfies with characters with "massive heads" and while these pictures don't include the character's entire head, they are always amusing!

I've done many character meals solo and other times with other Dis'ers. I wasn't so crazy about doing character meals solo, as it often happens that no character handler or server is available to take your picture when the moment arrives. Most of them are glad to help but they aren't always in the area when the character stops by. But if pictures aren't important to you, or you're content with just selfies, then no issues. BTW you can ask the family at the next table to take your picture and offer them the same, however I usually don't feel comfortable doing this.

What I always love to do is to whisper in the character's ear, "I wish we could find someone to take a picture of us." Then the character always grabs my camera and runs over to find someone to take our picture. Although it's usually the character handler or a server, a few times I've had the character just hand it to another nearby family and motion for them to take our picture. They always do (No one says "No" to Mickey!) and the family always laughs-you can tell it's a highlight of their trip, and something they'll long remember. Afterwards, they always say something to me, and I've met some really nice people that way.

I have done quite a few character meals solo, and I think my favorite is Garden Grill. I love their breakfast, and I've got another reservation there for my next trip in a few weeks. I don't mind asking other people to take my picture if the server is busy.

If anyone has insight on which dining periods (breakfast/lunch/dinner) for character dining are more and less busy, that would be helpful! I'm planning on a very late lunch at Tusker House right now. Has anyone else had experience getting a walk-up table for character dining in the parks?

Actually I got a walk-up at Tusker House when I was solo for lunch. I'd just gotten off the Kilimanjaro Safari ride, decided I was hungry, and checked there first. Waited all of about 5-10 minutes.

Actually I got a walk-up at Tusker House when I was solo for lunch. I'd just gotten off the Kilimanjaro Safari ride, decided I was hungry, and checked there first. Waited all of about 5-10 minutes.
Great thanks! I might cancel my late afternoon reservation then so I can go when I'm actually hungry.

I think of all the character meals I've done, the one that was best suited to me as a solo diner was the dinner at 1900 Park Fare. So many of the character meals appeal to families (understandably so), but I've found that children don't really care about the secondary characters at this one -- they're so obsessed with Cinderella and Prince Charming that Lady Tremaine and her two daughters get a bit of the short shrift. Which means as a solo diner you can have some really great interactions with them if you're so inclined. Last time I was there, Lady Tremaine actually sat down at my table and we had a very nice conversation about whether or not I was worthy of marrying her daughters.
I agree! I go solo a lot. I normally skip expensive character meals as a solo (done many of them with niece and nephews, so I am not missing out). The best interactions I had (no kids) is 1900 Park Fare. Had a huge discussion with Anastacia about how Drusilla was her mom's favorite. Lady Tremaine grilled me about my husband--was he rich, handsome, a prince? I told her, hey, I'm here without him while he's slaving away to pay for my fun. She highly approved.

Reactions: lxy
My favorite recently was the Bon Voyage breakfast at Trattoria al Forno on the BoardWalk. I had great character interaction, and my server was great about coming over to take pics for me. Flynn Rider was great!

I have tried a few character meals as solo. I like Akershus because they used to include the Belle photo with the meal- not sure if that still happens. Plus the families seated near me made a point to say, hey, we will take your picture. Did not even have to ask. Also the princesses were on top of it too. My other favorite is Crystal Palace for the breakfast food. The characters are fine and were good about making sure I got photos. But the food is amazing for breakfast...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter