what is the best dining plan calculator?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by pesto78749, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I agree that the only way to determine the value vs the OOP is to do your own math. The online calculators have not really been updated to include the alcohol or increased cost of food.

2. clutter

clutter DIS Veteran

I did the same in August. $1,800 in gift cards, which would have been the cost of DDP and tips. Came back with $100, after eating really well. It gave us more flexibility - meals were shared entrees with appetizers and no desserts. Drinks were of the adult nature, few soft drinks. Only one CS meal the entire trip, but TS at least once per day. Our first meal was two of us at Le Cellier. We split an entree, had two appetizers, a side (or was it two?) and a couple drinks. Omg, after that meal, I HURT, it was so much food (and sooooooooo good). So the rest of the trip we slowed down on the quantity of food, trying for more variety with smaller portions. We learned to love appetizers and lounge food.

I've always thought that the difference is whether you would buy soft drinks and desserts or not. We drink water and rarely have dessert, so our OOP was always lowered by that.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. DISNEY1975

DISNEY1975 DIS Veteran

Same here. I pay for my entire trip with discounted gift cards. 5% off at BJs, plus 2% BJs rewards for buying them there. Then I use my Discover card 5% cashback at wholesale clubs. 12% off (though 2% is in the form of BJs cash, which I use to buy more giftcards!! But, in the end..I still overspend!

5. DISNEY1975

DISNEY1975 DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tips! We will definitely have to get creative next trip. She bought the snacks as "souvenirs" for friends, and packed the chip and dale snack mix in her lunch for quite a while. Since we didnt do any of this until the last day and I had packed up 99% of our stuff the night before, I just shoved it all into the suitcases when we brought them curbside. My luck, it brought the luggage over the weight limit and I had to open my suitcases on the sidewalk and repack everything multiple times. Nightmare! Note to self: buy lightweight snacks and eat more ice cream on vacation!!

6. MarkinNM

MarkinNM NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

I have messed with lots of them and I have found in my case https://www.distripplanner.com/ as closest to my own calculations. For me/us, prefer and love the idea of the food, paid for with the DDP and just going for it, no carrying around gift cards in the park, if it goes over, meh oops if it is under meh.....just go have fun, eat away, drink away, enjoy the time in Disney......

DISNEY1975 likes this.
  7. sharonabe

sharonabe DIS Veteran

Why don't you just pay OOP? You know you're overpaying before you ever get there. Why not take the money you would prepay for the DxDDP and buy a prepaid Visa or something like that? You'd still have everything paid for ahead of time and you'd save money.

DISNEY1975 likes this.
  8. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I love having my food prepaid as well, however it needs to make financial sense before i book a plan. I do not mind breaking even, but I will not go into a plan knowing I will lose money.

9. DISNEY1975

DISNEY1975 DIS Veteran

Honestly, I dont do it because Im stupid! There is no reason...just way more convenient to over pay for convenience. Never thought of a prepaid Visa though. Still wouldnt have a bill waiting for me at home after my trip and no left over Disney money on a GC. Hmmmmm.

sharonabe likes this.