What is the most breathable mask for visiting WDW

https://www.bocogear.com/
I’ve loved their running hats for years, so I was excited when they started making masks because they’re made from a tech/athletic fabric that breathes well and evaporates sweat quickly.
Has anyone used these? I have an Arctic Cool Neck Gaiter for our July trip but these look like an interesting choice.

Disney does have an official definition of a face covering. I don't think gaiters are going to be allowed, unless they have a ear loops.

Face Coverings

All Guests ages 2 and up—along with Cast Members—are required to wear face coverings when visiting Walt Disney World Resort. Please bring your own face coverings and wear them at all times, except when dining or swimming.

All face coverings should:

• Fully cover an individual’s nose and mouth and allow the Guest to remain hands-free
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Be made of breathable material, either disposable or reusable
Costume masks are not considered appropriate and are prohibited from being worn, in alignment with our existing rules.

The use of face coverings is not a substitute for physical distancing.

The Tim Tracker has a video he just did this week where he visited Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens and he had 3 different mask that he wore on roller coasters and around the park in general to see how they did. He wore a neck gaitor, a paper pleated, and a ear loop clothe mask. Of all of them he like the paper pleated disposable one. He said it was the most breathable and it stayed securely on when he rode a coaster. The neck gaitor slide down his face on the coaster no matter how many times he pulled it back up to cover his fact. The gaitor also cause a lot of sweat to form under his chin and neck but it felt the most comfortable wearing. The clothe ear loop stayed on while riding but was bothersome to his ear because it pulled his ear down which you could see in the video and it was a hotter material and muffled his voice.
** yes they do make gaitors with ear loops. I saw a few online.

The Tim Tracker has a video he just did this week where he visited Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens and he had 3 different mask that he wore on roller coasters and around the park in general to see how they did. He wore a neck gaitor, a paper pleated, and a ear loop clothe mask. Of all of them he like the paper pleated disposable one. He said it was the most breathable and it stayed securely on when he rode a coaster. The neck gaitor slide down his face on the coaster no matter how many times he pulled it back up to cover his fact. The gaitor also cause a lot of sweat to form under his chin and neck but it felt the most comfortable wearing. The clothe ear loop stayed on while riding but was bothersome to his ear because it pulled his ear down which you could see in the video and it was a hotter material and muffled his voice.
** yes they do make gaitors with ear loops. I saw a few online.
good to know I can't watch him anymore ever since I saw the drunken Halloween video (that they posted online) where he said a bunch of things I didn't want my kid hearing. I know that universal and SeaWorld just ask for face coverings but Disney specifically said masks does that mean they allow these as well?

Disney does have an official definition of a face covering. I don't think gaiters are going to be allowed, unless they have a ear loops...
One of the WDW mods reported that gaiters have been seen on guests in Disney Springs since it reopened. No one has stopped those guests and no one has reported any issues so far. It appears that Disney's specifications on masks/face coverings is to prevent guests from showing up in face shields only or other types of homemade type coverings that leave gaps on the sides of the face and below the chin.
Personally, I would bring a variety of masks and gaiters for a WDW trip, just so I could keep changing them out according to weather conditions and comfort/discomfort level. So far, even in a/c, I haven't yet found one type of mask that is comfortable every time.

One of the WDW mods reported that gaiters have been seen on guests in Disney Springs since it reopened. No one has stopped those guests and no one has reported any issues so far. It appears that Disney's specifications on masks/face coverings is to prevent guests from showing up in face shields only or other types of homemade type coverings that leave gaps on the sides of the face and below the chin.
Personally, I would bring a variety of masks and gaiters for a WDW trip, just so I could keep changing them out according to weather conditions and comfort/discomfort level. So far, even in a/c, I haven't yet found one type of mask that is comfortable every time.
Yes I have a friend who he and his family has been to DS several times since they opened and wore gaitor and no one told them they could not wear it.
So, what constitutes as a face mask?! Scarves tied snugly around your face, gaiters, buffs, disposable or reusable masks (including bandanas), and handmade or homemade masks are all examples of what is allowed Disney World.
This info was on the Disney Food Blog web page
*** Disney has updated "masks" to be face coverings. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/

Last edited:
I am planning on taking 4 different kinds of masks. A light paper one like a new father would wear in a delivery room (they are very easy to breathe in imo...-------a light scarf/hankerchief type (a.k.a. Gaiter) (like the one that people usually use to cover themselves from dust etc) and then I have a filtered mask and a Disney whole face cloth mask. You don't want a mask that gets wet, dirty, or just sweaty as hell. Choices are good. I am not dreading it anymore.

Last edited:
I am planning on taking 4 different kinds of masks. A light paper one like a new father would wear in a delivery room (they are very easy to breathe in imo...-------a light scarf/hankerchief type (a.k.a. Gaiter) (like the one that people usually use to cover themselves from dust etc) and then I have a filtered mask and a Disney whole face cloth mask. You don't want a mask that gets wet, dirty, or just sweaty as hell. Choices are good. I am not dreading it anymore.
my Disney masks from the preorder shipped I have a variety also I plan on taking 2-3 with me at a time. Im sure Pete is going to have his review in a week on which one works better I'm curious to see his thoughts.

I've tried almost every kind of face covering and the gaiter is the most comfortable. It's the only one I wear on my visits to Universal and Disney Springs.

As a nurse I wear different types (depending on level of need/risk) but I can honestly say none of them are nice to wear. Having in depth, long conversations can leave you feeling a little short of breath and I'm glad to get in my car and breath normally without one. I can't imagine a full day in the park wearing one, especially on hot days. Although I had a laugh at some of the face covering pictures on this thread, they don't provide any filtering of the air you breath in.

I've tried almost every kind of face covering and the gaiter is the most comfortable. It's the only one I wear on my visits to Universal and Disney Springs.
I am bringing gaiters with me too .....because I do like how thin the gaiter is, but I was thinking after awhile the neck would get really sweaty. :sunny::furious:

So if this gaiter type is so great why don’t they just make something with that same material that doesn’t cover the neck

So if this gaiter type is so great why don’t they just make something with that same material that doesn’t cover the neck
Many gaiters are known as neck gaiters so they cover the neck no matter what.
They do however sell online the cooling neck gaiter. They work like the cooling towels people wear when they do yardwork or kids play sports etc. So the question is...does it sound comfy to wear a thin cooling mask that is damp but cooling or .........no way?!

For those of you who wear the gaiters, how are they on your neck in the heat? When its that hot I cant stand anything on my neck. Are they made from moisture wicking fabric or something that you can wet to stay cool? Obviously not having it wet over your face. We are going in July and I'm trying to figure out the best mask options. I have to wear a surgical mask all day for work and on the few hot days we've had so far, it has been a less than pleasant experience.

good to know I can't watch him anymore ever since I saw the drunken Halloween video (that they posted online) where he said a bunch of things I didn't want my kid hearing. I know that universal and SeaWorld just ask for face coverings but Disney specifically said masks does that mean they allow these as well?
He just made a video apologizing for inappropriate videos he made in the past.. i think parenthood has changed them.

Anyone know if the official Disney masks have a nose wire? I'm doubting so, since the web site doesn't mention it. I'm a glasses-wearer and cloth masks with no adjustable nose wire make my glasses fog terribly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter