What is the proper age to take a child to WDW for their first visit?

MrTMorrow

I'm pretty sure the answer is "I am Groot"
I apologize in advance if this topic is over saturated. My wife just gave birth to our first child a week ago, January 14. As you can imagine, we've already started having fun with the idea of his first trip to WDW. We want to wait a few years, as we want him to be old enough to enjoy himself and have some fond memories of his first visit. Also, we want to enjoy our time with him while there and not constantly worry about changing him, feeding him, nap breaks, etc. We were thinking maybe 3-4, does that seem like an acceptable age? Can any other parents out there share some of their insight and/or experiences with first visits? Thanks you all so much! :)

I’ve taken my kids at ages 2 through 12. It’s a different experience at different ages. So far I think my favorite was when they were around 4-9. It was “magical.” The last trip the 12 year olds mostly just wanted to do thrill rides and eat. Lol

First, congrats!!!! pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

As for what age, you'll get no end of answers...and all of them are correct. It's purely what you feel is best. WDW is age appropriate for kids ages 0-100. We brought our kids when they were 4, 1, 1 (the twins hadn't even quite turned one yet). It was great, we had a wonderful time. Our oldest son understood some of it and really enjoyed it. The twins obviously didn't understand anything, but it was really cool to see them discovering and enjoying in their own way. All the lights, colors, sounds, etc...were fascinating to them.

Reality is that memories fade as you age. If you take him when he's 4, it's not likely he'll remember much of it when he's 20 years old. I have almost no memory of being 4. Others may, but I bet it's not a photographic memory. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't take him. I'm very glad we took our kids when we did. Yes, diapers, etc...are a pain, but it was worth it to us. Take him whenever you feel it's the right time for him to start experiencing it.

I took my son when he was almost 4 (turned 4 during the vacation). I feel like it was a good age. He still remembers a lot of it (he’s 9 now).

I think it depends if this is a once in a lifetime type trip.

If you aren’t planning on going often, I think somewhere in the 5-9 range is good, tall enough to do most of everything but young enough where it’s magical to see it through their eyes.

If you’re planning on going more than once, I honestly think there’s no bad age to start. Each age has its pros and cons.

First...CONGRATULATIONS! Jan 14th is my oldest son’s birthday - he turned 18 this year. Very special day.

I have 4 kids, I’ve taken them at ages 18 months and up. I started keeping a journal for them for our trips - at night in our room, we discuss what we did that day, what our favorite or least favorite thing was, what we ate, etc...that way, even if they don’t remember, we still have these sweet memories documented. We also do Memory Maker each trip to make sure we have family pics with everyone in the photo.

I’ve taken a 2 year old and my biggest in park worry would be if they can stroller nap or not. Diaper changes are no big deal.

Here now with my 4 year old, he'll be 5 in May. He loves it!!! Potty trained, no stroller, we're all having a blast. My wife and I always thought 5 would be the earliest we would take him, but this trip is turning out fine.

Wow!! Thank you everybody so much for the positive feedback, congratulates, and personal insight! Just be reading some of your replies, I now understand that there really isn't a right or wrong age range. We're both huge Disney fans (as are all of you awesome people!) and we're just so thrilled about sharing this experience with our child!

I joke that my favorite age to bring them is 4 months (how old my second was during her first trip). I agree that if you are planning multiple trips, there's no such thing as too young. It's super easy when they are babies because they don't complain too much and they are free! My kids are currently 4 and 2.5. They have been at least 3-4 times and there's something special about every trip.

I would say there is no wrong age. I think people put way too much emphasis on whether their kids will remember their first trip. "Making memories" to me isn't as important as living in the moment. If you truly enjoy an experience as it's happening, does it really matter if you remember it in 20 years? You'll always have the photos and the autograph books. Go whenever you feel like it.

That said, one important factor to consider is whether you plan on having more children, or if your son will be your only one. If you think you will have more, it doesn't make much sense to plan with only him in mind. I have three kids. We went for the first time when they were 4, 6 and 8 because I wanted my youngest to be old enough to know what was going on, but my oldest to be young enough to still appreciate the magic. The second time we went, they were 6, 8 and 11. In my opinion, my 8 year old was the perfect age on that trip. She was so much fun! But the one thing I have found is that the magic doesn't go away as they age. They will be 7, 10 and 12 when we go in March, and they know what's "real" and what's not, but it doesn't matter. When we get there, they allow themselves to believe in the magic because it's just more fun that way.

We took my daughter about a week before her 2nd birthday. She was old enough to enjoy rides such as the tea cups and dumbo and the cost savings was a bonus as well. My wife was pregnant with our second so I was able to ride the larger rides (space mountain, rockin roller coaster, etc) while my daughter was napping in the stroller.

We’ll be going again in the fall when she’s 4 so I expect her experience to be much different and I’m excited to take her when she understands exactly where we are and knows who the characters are.

So in summary, I think you’ll have a great time no matter what age they are, but their experience will change for sure depending on the age.

Oh, and congrats!!

FWIW, I started taking my kids to DLR when they were 3-5 years old. We did not get to WDW until the youngest was 10.

IMO DLR is a better destination for families with young children. You can get a close by walking distance hotel and never have to get a stroller on or off a bus or boat or other. Much easier than WDW to get back to your room for an afternoon break or when a child emergency or meltdown happens. Smaller resort and just easier to experience with small children.

WDW is a better destination as kids get older. Especially after 10 years old but also younger depending on the kid. The larger size can be less overwhelming. Kids are more mature, have more energy and are less likely to have a complete meltdown. More things offered at WDW and thus older kids can better appreciate everything.

We had a rule at DLR that we never took strollers. Kids had to be able to stand and walk. We carried them a lot when they were 3-5. That worked for us.

As I said I never had small kids (under 10) at WDW. So I cannot speak from first hand experience at WDW. Only DLR. Some people take very young children (under 3) because they have older siblings and the small one just has to tag along. Especially if the age spread is large. When you have flexibility on whether to bring a child under 3 (e.g., maybe he/she is the oldest or only child and one is planning a first trip) I would say wait until they are at least 3 years old.

:wizard:

We took our DS a few weeks before his 2nd birthday. He had a blast!!! It was great seeing all his favorite characters come to life. He was all smiles the whole week. Diapers weren't an issue at all. We will be going back again right before he turns 3.

I apologize in advance if this topic is over saturated. My wife just gave birth to our first child a week ago, January 14. As you can imagine, we've already started having fun with the idea of his first trip to WDW. We want to wait a few years, as we want him to be old enough to enjoy himself and have some fond memories of his first visit. Also, we want to enjoy our time with him while there and not constantly worry about changing him, feeding him, nap breaks, etc. We were thinking maybe 3-4, does that seem like an acceptable age? Can any other parents out there share some of their insight and/or experiences with first visits? Thanks you all so much! :)
We waited till DD was 7 to bring her because we really wanted her to remember it, and we had no idea how much we all would love it. Since then we’ve gone back at different stages of her life and loved every moment. Now she’s 20 and she can’t wait.
The only thing I would have done differently, is maybe have brought her at age 5 or 6, but no younger. When she was a baby and toddler, we preferred relaxing beach vacations that required little planning and were very flexible.
I have family and friends that have brought their kids from infant and toddler, but they felt like it was a real chore. But it really is up to you and what you expect from your vacation.

Wow!! Thank you everybody so much for the positive feedback, congratulates, and personal insight! Just be reading some of your replies, I now understand that there really isn't a right or wrong age range. We're both huge Disney fans (as are all of you awesome people!) and we're just so thrilled about sharing this experience with our child!

Oh by the way, a trip with a really little one is VERY different than when you go as an adult only couple. In some ways it's magical, in some ways...not so much. So be prepared to embrace both of those things...the fun things and the challenges.

Took both of our kids on or around their first birthdays. They are 3 and 1.5 now. If we have more kids, we’ll do the same. We love the first birthday trip.

Everyone is different. Sure, the kids don’t remember it. But my oldest who is now 3 years old LOVES looking through the photos and videos of herself as a “baby” turning one there. She was 2.5 on our last trip and it is amazing how many memories she has retained from that trip. She talks about it every day, months later!

My parents brought me since I was a baby and as a WDW fan, I cherish the photos we have of our family there when I was so little, even if I don’t remember going.

We took our son when he was 2&1/2 and it was great. He's six now and still remembers things from that trip. We also took him when he was 4 and we leave Wednesday for his third time there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter