What is your favorite $5-7 dinner?

neatokimmo

DIS Veteran
I am going to meal plan for an entire year. I have a big pantry and an extra freezer. I know I won’t be able to stick to it perfectly, but I want a plan.

We just have three in our family. What is your favorite cheap dinner?

My favorite - all milk quiche with roasted veg and fruit salad:)...
Aldi pie crust $.65 (1 of 2 - you can use a scratch one, but I hate making crusts)
5-6 large eggs (1 dozen have been around $.60 at Aldi's) $.30
1 cupish whole milk (1/16 of gal Aldi milk that's been $1 this year) $.06
Salt/Pepper $.10
I like to really fill my quiche high - you can use less egg or milk if you want...
The filling - the family's most popular is ham and cheese or bacon and cheese
- Bacon 1/4lb cooked and diced $1 ($4/lb pack - I buy Aldi thick cut or on sale grocery Smithfield) - ham is cheaper if you like that more
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese 1/2 cup shredded ($2 8 oz - bag or shred myself) $.50
Total Quiche Cost $2.61

Roasted Veg is 1lb veg + olive oil + S&P - Broccoli, Green Beans, or Asparagus are my go-to's for this meal b/c they work so well with eggs - I get each on sale fresh for $1.49/lb or less (green beans are $.99, and broccoli can be $.99 or $1.29) + 1TB olive oil and s&p makes it about $1.65

Fruit Salad - I like a berry base that I add kiwi or bananas or grapes - I make this when strawberries are $1.50/lb
Strawberries $1.50
Other Fruit $1 (1 large or 2 small bananas and 1 kiwi as an example - this will make 5-6 people worth of fruit, so plan accordingly)
You can macerate with a little sugar and liquor, but I like this straight most of the time
Fruit Salad $2.50

Total full meal cost $6.76 (this feeds 4+, but you can just have yummy leftover lunches:)...it feels fancy and decadent, but when you see how little a quiche with a fruit cup and veg costs, you'll practically never pay for it again:)...

If you sub cream or 1/2 and 1/2, your cost probably goes up $.50 or $1, but I love whole milk in quiche b/c it tastes much lighter and I love the light almost "fluff" feeling you get:)...

I also do broccoli and cheese as a quiche and will wrap asparagus with bacon and roast and call that a meal, so this meals has a lot of change up possibilities:)...

2nd one also feels decadent, but you'd have to shop when steak is on sale for $5/lb or less - I like NY strip for this, but any steak works...the extra veg and layering on rice stretches the expensive ingredient, but letting the steak in with the veg gives everything a steak-y feel, so you don't notice:)...

Steak Fajita Bowls
3/4 lb steak $3.75 (thinly slice, like you do the veg)
1 onion (from Aldi bags) $.20
1 bell pepper (I do this when you can get them for $1.50/3 or $2 for 3 if they are red) $.50-$.66
1 zucchini (again, this is a fall dish for me, so I buy when seasonally cheap) $.50
1 fajita seasoning pack $.50-$.66
Olive Oil (2 TB-3TB or so - 1 TB for rice and rest for fajita saute) $.20
Salt and Pepper (for rice) $.10
1 cup white rice $.20 (I buy rice by the large bag, so this might be more expensive for you)
3-4oz shredded cheddar (8oz is $2) $.75-$1.00 (can leave off, but my fam loves cheese on anything Mexican)

Saute the fajita ingredients and cook the rice as you normally would - plate the rice on the bottom, layer the fajita mixture on top, and sprinkle cheese as you like...

$6.70-$7.27

I do this dish with chicken (boneless skinless breast or thigh) and shrimp, too...chicken is obviously cheapest and shrimp is about the same price as steak:)...

Last night I made black bean burritos for a quick, cheap, easy meal.
1 can black beans $.50
1 Package cilantro lime rice $1.49
1 bag frozen corn $1.00
1 can enchilada sauce $.79
1 package tortillas $1.25
1/4 small onion
1 cup shredded cheddar $.50
1 bag side salad $1.25

Vegetable soup is another cheap/easy one. A bag of frozen mixed veg, a can of tomatoes, some tomato paste, veg or chicken broth, a couple diced poatoes, and whatever about -to -expire bakery bread/rolls you find on sale.

Baked potatoes topped with leftover chili and cheese, served with a side salad or stramed broccoli.

Veggies in a biscuit casserole:

1 bag frozen mixed veg. $1.00
1 carton chicken or veg stock $1.50
1 can butter beans (or a cup of leftover shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken or such) $1.00
1 can cream of mushroom soup $.50
1/2 small onion
1/2 bag of frozen biscuits $1.25
2 cloves garlic

Chop and saute the onion/ garlic in a dutch oven. Add frozen veg, saute another min, add liquids and beans or chicken, and 2 bay leaves, bring to boil, boil 20 min. top with about 8 of the frozen biscuits. Bake at 350 until biscuits start to brown. So delicious on a winter day.

Quesadillas and tomato soup with a salad are a big hit here.

Terriyakki veg. stir fry with homemade fried rice.

Tortellini tossed with garlic infused olive oil, sauteed mushrooms, onions, grape tomatoes, and asparagus, with a small amount of freshly grated parm and a side salad

We eat a lot of vegetable based meals and try to mix in seafood 2-3 nights a week, and occasionally chicken (DH loves chicken tacos!). The seafood meals get expensive to I try to round it out with less expensive stuff. I find keeping our meat consumption low really helps with the budget.

My favorite super cheap dinner is Senate Navy Bean Soup. This is the basic recipe. I usually use a ham bone for it, and also, I don't cook it on the stove as recommended, but bring it to a boil in my dutch oven, and then put it in a 300 degree oven, stirring it occasionally to monitor the cooking. Both would work, obviously, but I'm a big fan of "baking" a lot of dishes that are traditionally done on the stove, as they take less babysitting. Super cheap (esp if you subsituted in some dried herbs). I mean like less than $3 per pot of soup level cheap. Big bowls with a salad make a nice winter meal.

U.S. Senate Navy Bean Soup (Cook's Illustrated Recipe)

INGREDIENTS
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 parsley stems, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
1 pound dried navy beans washed and picked clean of any debris or dark-colored beans
1 smoked ham hock (about 12 ounces)---(***I use a leftover ham bone instead--I don't care for the flavor of ham hocks and find them greasy. I have used a ham steak as recommended below-it's good, but not as good as a leftover bone from a holiday dinner)
Salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 medium carrot, chopped fine
1 medium stalk celery, chopped fine
4 medium cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
Ground black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice from 1 medium lemon, plus 1 lemon cut into wedges

INSTRUCTIONS SERVES 4 TO 6
The finished texture of the soup should be creamy but not too thick.
Eight to 10 strokes with a potato masher should be adequate. If you
cannot find a smoked ham hock, a ham steak is almost as good and
readily available. We found that 6 ounces of ham steak adds flavor
without overwhelming the beans. If using ham steak, cut it into
quarter-inch dice and add the meat to the pot when starting the
beans.

1. With a 12-inch length of kitchen twine, tie together the
bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and parsley stems.

2. Combine the beans, ham hock, herb bundle, 1 1/2
teaspoons salt, and 4 quarts of cold water in a large Dutch
oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the
heat to medium, and simmer until the beans are soft, about
2 hours.

3. While the beans are simmering, heat the butter in a large
skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery
and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly
browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until
fragrant, about 30 seconds longer. Transfer the sautéed
vegetables to a small bowl.

4. Remove the herb bundle and the ham hock from the pot
with the beans. Lightly smash some of the beans in the pot
with a potato masher until creamy and lightly thickened.
Using tongs and a chef’s knife, remove and discard the skin,
fat, and bones from the hock and mince the meat. Add the
meat and the sautéed vegetables to the beans and simmer,
uncovered, until the flavors have melded and the soup has
thickened, about 30 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

My favorite cheap meal.

5 to 6 cans of dark red kidney beans drained
2 jars of salsa
I like to add a little rosemary also

Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes

Make up 4 cups rice

spoon beans over some rice and sprinkle some grated cheddar over the top along with a tablespoon of sour cream
Hot Sauce to taste.
Without the dairy this is also vegan.

This recipe usually gives leftovers for 4 or 5 lunches (smaller meal) after the two of us binge for dinner.

Rice and beans with corn bread. You can't really freeze the rice and beans but I usually make 3 or 4 loafs of corn bread and freeze those. We also add sausage to the rice and beans.

Since you have a year, here's another good one...

Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
1lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (Aldi-priced) $1.00
1/4 to 1/2 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Sauce (I buy these at Mem Day/Labor Day at $.99/bottle, but it might be more for you) $.50
Salt/Pepper $.10
Water/Cornstarch $.10
Cook in crockpot til chicken is shreddable...thicken sauce with a cornstarch/water mix and warm extra 10-15 minutes

Bag of hamburger buns ($.83 Aldi - you'd need 1/2) $.42
1/2 Tub of Blue Cheese Crumbles ($1.89 full tub) $.95

Toast buns and tops each with chicken mixture and blue cheese crumbles...

Serve with Raw Baby Carrots (1/2 bag at $.49/bag when on sale at Aldi) and Celery sticks (1/3 of medium celery at $1.50) and Blue Cheese Dressing (1/4 bottle at $1.50/bottle - you can use this on sandwiches if you want to be cheaper or drippier:)) AND Baked Fries or Baked Onion Rings (for 3 people, 1/2 bag at $2/bag)...

Total Cost of Sandwiches - $3.07
With Fries, Both Veg Sticks, and Dip - $5.20 total

Chinese pork dumplings. You can make it with pork or chicken or whatever, and mix with veggies (cabbage, bok choy, spinach...etc). Spend an hour wrappign them. Freeze a ton of them, and steam / fried them up when you need them. Healthy, easy and kids' favorites. Cheap as you can get. Sample recipe : https://omnivorescookbook.com/pork-dumplings/

I am going to meal plan for an entire year. I have a big pantry and an extra freezer. I know I won’t be able to stick to it perfectly, but I want a plan.

We just have three in our family. What is your favorite cheap dinner?

Other thought - right now, I'm posting recipes I do without fresh herbs...but I have a bunch that I make that use fresh basil, chives, dill, rosemary, and thyme (b/c I have those in my garden either year round or seasonally). Do you have access to any fresh herbs, so you wouldn't be paying $2-$3/herb for a small bunch?

Chinese pork dumplings. You can make it with pork or chicken or whatever, and mix with veggies (cabbage, bok choy, spinach...etc). Spend an hour wrappign them. Freeze a ton of them, and steam / fried them up when you need them. Healthy, easy and kids' favorites. Cheap as you can get. Sample recipe : https://omnivorescookbook.com/pork-dumplings/

I make these a lot, but they always take me all afternoon (at least I have a ton of them then). I like a shrimp/pork mixture, with homemade skins.

We have been out running around this afternoon and I just got back. These are some great suggestions!

Wow, a year! I can barely do weekly meal planning. Can I ask, why do you want to meal plan for a year? Is it for your budget?

Pure laziness. Ground beef 90/10 cases are about 80 pounds. I can write in 80 meals using that meat over a certain period. Say we do spaghetti every other week. I know to buy 26 jars of sauce if it goes on sale.

Other thought - right now, I'm posting recipes I do without fresh herbs...but I have a bunch that I make that use fresh basil, chives, dill, rosemary, and thyme (b/c I have those in my garden either year round or seasonally). Do you have access to any fresh herbs, so you wouldn't be paying $2-$3/herb for a small bunch?

I will have a small herb area this winter and a huge one next year in the garden.

I will have a small herb area this winter and a huge one next year in the garden.

Excellent - then here's another really awesome meal...I do this when I find the lamb on 1/2 off sale...works with any cheap cut...

Crockpot Irish Lamb Stew
Lamb Rib/Shoulder/Boney Cheap Cut 1 lb $2.50
1/2 lb carrots (baby or regular - go with the $.49/lb option:)) $.25
3 stalks celery $.25
2 onions $.50
2 1/2 lbs of potatoes $1
12 oz beer $1-$1.50 (from 6 pack, if beer - love Guiness for this)
About Identical amount of water
Fresh rosemary and thyme (free)
Salt, pepper, minced garlic, cornstarch ($.40) - sometimes 1/2 tsp sugar if it's too bitter (I use my spouse's home brew which can be bitter)
PS - You can add any additional root veg, like parsnips or something like a can of peas for last 30 minutes of cooking - your choice)

Cook 6-8 hours on low - shred meat off, and thicken with the cornstarch in a slurry - let cook another 30 minutes or so...

Stew Total $5.90-6.40

Add a can of rolls/biscuits for $.99 or just enjoy the stew as is - it's hearty...

PS - You can sub broth for the beer/water...use about the same amount (should cost the same)...

Last edited:
I love this idea. I'm absolutely horrible at meal planning, but next year I plan to get a large chest freezer and want to stock the pantry and freezer in bulk when things go on sale.

Some great recipes in here so far. I think i may try the quiche this week!

Great thread- but you've lost me already. Im assuming Aldi's is a regional store because Ive never heard of it here in MA. But a gallon of milk is a dollar?? And eggs are 60 cents??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter