• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

what kinda CD do I use to copy pics on?

miss missy

Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives?!
For storage? I have a cd burner write only? I got Sony CD R's that say audio 80 mins on them, is that not for pics? what should I use? Thanks

Yes you can burn pix on them. If you are using XP it will give you a burn disc options when you insert the disc or:
highlight all your pix
right click on the mouse
choose "Send to" option
send pix to the drive that corresponds to your CD burner
a balloon will pop up syaing "You have files to write"
Click on balloon tip
Choose "Write these files to CD"

This all takes less han 10 seconds to do

As a former CDRW technician DH mentioned the following:

1. Burn at LOWER speed (4x, 8x)
2. Do data verification after burning
3. Buy good media. Cheaper usually worse.
4. Store media (both unused and burned) in a more-or-less climate controlled area
5. Always make back up copy of the media every 2 to 5 years (depending on addendums 3 and 4)

miss missy said:
For storage? I have a cd burner write only? I got Sony CD R's that say audio 80 mins on them, is that not for pics? what should I use? Thanks

If it says "CD for Audio" or something similar... LOL! what a scam. The idea behind that was that the artists would see some of the profits from sales of these CDs --- which are sold at MUCH higher prices than the generically labeled CDRs.

Basically, any CD you can write on is fine.

Kelly Grannell said:
As a former CDRW technician DH mentioned the following:

1. Burn at LOWER speed (4x, 8x)
2. Do data verification after burning
3. Buy good media. Cheaper usually worse.
4. Store media (both unused and burned) in a more-or-less climate controlled area
5. Always make back up copy of the media every 2 to 5 years (depending on addendums 3 and 4)

Sure can be true, but here is another thing. In my experience, the CDs with the BLUE bottoms have a much higher success rate than the clear ( plain ) colored ones, ESPECIALLY when it comes to DVs.

Papa Deuce said:
If it says "CD for Audio" or something similar... LOL! what a scam. The idea behind that was that the artists would see some of the profits from sales of these CDs --- which are sold at MUCH higher prices than the generically labeled CDRs.

Basically, any CD you can write on is fine.

Yes and no. CD for Audio is not designed to be used in a regular CD burner but to be used in a standalone consumer audio CD burner. Without these discs, the standalone audio recorder record button will not operate.

Kelly, your DH is a CDRW/burner expert?? Can you have PM me so I can question him on why my burner won't burn?? It will play music, DVD movies, photo CDs. I just cannot get it to burn. It goes thru the whole beginning process but then as soon as it starts to burn some error code comes up. I have tried to burn photo and music cds. I have used the Roxio program, Windows MP and neither will burn. In the meantime, Dell is sending me a new drive.

What error are you getting? There are drives that will only write CD-R's or CD-RW's, not both and others that write both.

Sometimes all you have to do is go to your control panel, got to system, click hardware manager, click on device manager, click on CD/DVD option, uninstall the drive and then choose "Scan for Hardware Changes" from the action menu. This will reintall the device and solve many problem (unless the drive has just died).

hemispheredancer said:
Kelly, your DH is a CDRW/burner expert?? Can you have PM me so I can question him on why my burner won't burn?? It will play music, DVD movies, photo CDs. I just cannot get it to burn. It goes thru the whole beginning process but then as soon as it starts to burn some error code comes up. I have tried to burn photo and music cds. I have used the Roxio program, Windows MP and neither will burn. In the meantime, Dell is sending me a new drive.
If Dell support couldn't help you over the phone it is probably hardware related. They are usually pretty good about getting replacement parts to you fairly quickly. Or they used to be, I haven't dealt with Dell for a while.

hemispheredancer said:

Just PM me and I'll forward the message to DH. He was the head CDRW technician for a major manufacturer from 1996 to 2004.

I got my replacement 24x CDRW/DVD from Dell toady and have installed it. It played a music cd just fine. I am about to rip and burn a music cd so we will see if the problem is solved! If there is still some type of error code, I will post it here. TIA..

Well, I think my problem is solved!!! Yeah for me for being so pushy with Dell and asking them to send me a new drive. Now I feel like a computer geek that can install hardware and fix my issues!! I ripped and burned a Kelly Clarkson cd and I am listening to it now. I did at a rate of 8x since you suggested a slower speed. I did it using Windows MP and had no problem. WOOHOO!!!

Thanks everyone for the info! I think I will be albe to take on this task.

How many pics does a CD hold? My pics are 5.0 I believe.

miss missy said:
Thanks everyone for the info! I think I will be albe to take on this task.

How many pics does a CD hold? My pics are 5.0 I believe.

cds hold 700MB of data, so the numberof pics depends on the size of each file..
if your files ar 5 megs each you will get approximately 140 pics per cd..

MICKEY88 said:
cds hold 700MB of data, so the numberof pics depends on the size of each file..
if your files ar 5 megs each you will get approximately 140 pics per cd..

Thanks that help alot! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter