What map or GPS did you use while in Oahu?

nkereina

Last chance to lose your keys.
We'll be renting a car for our time at Aulani and am just curious what others have found to be the best way to get directions. Did you rent a GPS from the rental car company? Did you just use an app on your phone? If so, which app? Any issues with cell service? We'll be venturing out to the North Shore and Kualoa Ranch. Thanks all!

We'll be renting a car for our time at Aulani and am just curious what others have found to be the best way to get directions. Did you rent a GPS from the rental car company? Did you just use an app on your phone? If so, which app? Any issues with cell service? We'll be venturing out to the North Shore and Kualoa Ranch. Thanks all!
I have used both a Garmin GPS and Google Maps on my iPhone (AT&T service). Google Maps is far better. Garmin kept losing signal and routed us wrong more than once. Google hasn't missed anything yet.

Paper maps from one of the touring companies. They have so much more information on them then google.

I have used both a Garmin GPS and Google Maps on my iPhone (AT&T service). Google Maps is far better. Garmin kept losing signal and routed us wrong more than once. Google hasn't missed anything yet.

Glad to see we're not the only ones. Used the rental car GPS once (think it was a Garmin), entered Beach Walk, Waikiki, and somehow got routed to Kailua. We didn't realize it until we were in the mountains...hey, this doesn't look right.... Redid it on Google Maps on my phone and it routed us to the correct place. Now I try to remember to shrink the map to check if the general area is right.

If you have a smart phone that's all you need use the one on your phone. Do not rent a gps. Make sure you bring a car charger for your phone as it eats up the battery quick using it on your phone at least mine does.i went all over the island and never had a problem. I'm with sprint.

We use Waze as well. Bring along a car plug charger though.

If you have a smart phone that's all you need use the one on your phone. Do not rent a gps. Make sure you bring a car charger for your phone as it eats up the battery quick using it on your phone at least mine does.i went all over the island and never had a problem. I'm with sprint.

We use Waze as well. Bring along a car plug charger though.

Good tips on the charger. Thanks! Did you bring a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter space or a USB cord (i have an iPhone)? Not sure how many vehicles have USB at this point. Thanks!

Good tips on the charger. Thanks! Did you bring a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter space or a USB cord (i have an iPhone)? Not sure how many vehicles have USB at this point. Thanks!

My charger for the phone plugs into the cigarette lighter.

We brought our own GPS 2 years ago. I think we brought the Magellan. It was fun hearing the lady pronounce all of the roads. I think this trip we will just use our smart phones and Google Maps. One less thing to lose.

If you are renting a car you can't count on it having a USB port so bring one that plugs into the power socket.

We used both Google (my phone) and Apple Maps (my wife's phone). Other than the lies about nearby gas stations to the Aulani (power plant and oil refinery), they were fine from getting one place to another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter