What???? No Dining Plan...Are you Crazy Mom??? - Our Dining Experiment

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe

When we got to Cosmic Ray's we were pleased to see it wasn't crowded. Then we realized why. Most of the windows were closed and they were serving a very limited menu. Which always makes me mad. Why don't the food vendors stay open until the parks close???

I decided on the 1/2 Rotisserie Chicken - with Mashed Potatoes and green beans

DSCF0905.jpg

It was all really good. Skye snagged some green beans. Cary snagged some mashed potatoes. Tyler grabbed come chicken. There was plenty.

Skye got the kid's Chicken Nuggets with fries, grapes, and a water

DSCF0906.jpg

Which she liked. There was plenty for her and I even think Tyler snagged a nugget.

Tyler just got a hot dog and fries that I don't even see on the menu now...

DSCF0907.jpg

It was a hot dog. He likes hot dogs. They just didn't have much else he felt like ordering and I had told him he could share my chicken so he was good.

Cary had the Barbecued Pork Bacon Cheeseburger - with french fries.

DSCF0908.jpg

which he really liked. It was kinds hard to eat and a lot of the pork fell off but it was good on it's own and on top of the fries.

We also ordered one large coke.

Overall, this is a decent place to eat...when all menu options are available. The kids like Sonny Eclipse and always seem to find a table near him.

DSCF0909.jpg

DSCF0910.jpg

Usually this is a place we will stop if there is nothing else open. They have a general basic menu though so if you're looking for mostly basic park kind of food, this is your place. The chicken is probably their stand out here.

Total = $52.13
TOTAL so far = $924.08

Main Street Confectionery

We stopped for a bag of cotton candy for Skyler on our way out. The lines were long. It was bagged cotton candy...sugar on a stick...what's not to like???

TOTAL = $4.67
TOTAL so far = $928.75

Sunshine Seasons

We headed across Future World to The Land. Soarin' was down!!! So we hit Seasons for breakfast.

DSCF0937.jpg

It was not crowded in there at all and there was plenty of seating available. Usually it is crowded and crazy in there!

I got the kid's Breakfast Platter - scrambled eggs, bacon, and cinnamon French toast bread pudding and a small chocolate milk.

DSCF0933_1.jpg

This was VERY good for a kid's meal and enough food for a breakfast meal. Everyone was jealous! THe French Toast bread pudding was really good! I would definitely get this again (however, I think I have heard that they have stopped serving breakfast???). My eggs got snatched up on by a couple of greedy hands and I shared my bacon but those freaks wanted nothing to do with my bread pudding and that was fine with me!

Cary for a Cherry Danish and a coffee.

DSCF0934.jpg

It was soft and fresh and a good Danish...what more is there to say. The coffee was coffee.

Tyler was pleased to see they had a cinnamon roll that was not the dry flaky kind that everyone changed to a while ago.

DSCF0935_1.jpg

This one was more along the lines of Gaston's but not as large and fluffy. He enjoyed it.

Skyler got a cheese Danish and a fruit cup.

DSCF0936.jpg

Again, it was a good Danish. The fruit was rips and cold and sweet so all is good.

The receipt says we actually got two fruit cups but I don't know about that...I normally would not think we would do that so I am inclined to think that we were charged for something we did not get. CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS PEOPLE! I wasn't paying, Cary was.

We also got one coke to share. You can refill here so one should suffice right?

This was overall a god breakfast albeit not a cheap one.

TOTAL = $27.83
TOTAL so far = $956.58

Refreshment Port

Our first order of business upon entering the World Showcase was bathrooms...and right next to that is the Refreshment Port. Do you know what they have at the Refreshment Port????

Croissant Doughnut - with soft serve ice cream!!!

DSCF0943.jpg

So we grabbed one to share (they were all getting tired of the work "SHARE" by now!) and sat on a bench to enjoy it...and enjoy it, WE DID! This was really good. Flaky and texture of a crossaint. Cinnamony, sugary, shaped like a doughnut. Topped with vanilla Ice Cream...yes, yes, yes!

TOTAL = $6.69
TOTAL so far = $963.27

Mitsukoshi

Cary grabbed a Calpico Strawberry drink from Mitsukoshi.

DSCF0950.jpg

It was really refreshing but very sweet too.

TOTAL = $4.25
TOTAL so far = $967.52

Via Napoli

We checked in for our 2:30 ADR at Via Napoli at 2:11pm.

DSCF0952.jpg

DSCF0953.jpg

There were a lot of people sitting around waiting and we were taken almost right in. I assume the others were walk-ups??? We were seated in about the same place me and the kids were last time (Cary had not been with us because the night before he was not feeling well so he was in the room resting still) along the back wall.

DSCF0954.jpg

These seats give a great view of the whole restaurant.

Skye wanted a closed pic of the ovens though so she went over and got one...

DSCF0957.jpg

It is very loud in here and every time we have been there we have had wait staff with heavy accents that are difficult to understand but add the noise level in there to the mix and it's a disaster!

We ordered a Mezzo Metro Pepperoni Signature Pie - tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, two waters and two cokes.

DSCF0958.jpg

It was as good as we remembered. Of course, everyone wanted more. So I had to convince them that there were a lot of other things to eat in The World so we did not need to stuff ourselves with pizza. They didn't agree but went along with it.

Everyone was pleased and Cary was even more disappointed that he missed it here the last time now that he had it himself. Needless to say, we have an ADR for our next trip. I have a feeling they will not let me get a trip in without eating here again!

We did not see much of our waiter and needed drink refills a few times for a while before the helper came by and got us them. Service has never been extremely attentive here but it hasn't been bad either.

We were there about 50 minutes. The place was full but not overpoweringly so.

Total = $54.63
TOTAL so far = $1022.15

Trail's End

About 7:30pm we all woke and freshened up. At 7:49pm we were on a bus bound for Hollywood Studios. At 8:05pm we were on a bus to Ft. Wilderness. On the way we saw four turkeys and two deer...after the first turkey no one believed me...but they were watching after that...and then they believed!

DSCF0968.jpg

We had no idea where we were going though and it must have shown, or the bus drivers get this a lot, because as we were getting off the driver asked us where we were headed. We told him and he told us which bus to hop on. It pulled right up behind him and we got on. We had never been to the fort before. I did have ressies to camp here one year but we gave up...too much work. We were really enjoying watching it go by on the way. We decided we might like to stay here some time...the question is when. We tent came and in Florida, much of the year I would see everything being damp from the humidity and that would not be a comfy trip. Heat we could remedy. Cold we could remedy. But wet bedding and clothes, etc...not so much so we'll have to work on the timing of that trip.

DSCF0969.jpg

DSCF0970.jpg

Anyway, we checked in for our 8:30pm ADR at 8:18pm. We waited a couple of minutes...

DSCF0971.jpg

DSCF0972.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

He was inside the light...

...and then were taken in. We were given a large round table (maybe a 6 top???) just inside the door.

Our server was Randall and he told us how everything worked and we ordered our drinks. Then headed up to the buffet.

My first plate...

DSCF0974.jpg

Chili, pickled cucumbers, Caesar salad, pea salad, potato salad, cold peel and eat shrimp (I hate peeling my own shrimp!), and tomatoes.

Skye's first plate...

DSCF0975.jpg

Caesar Salad and shrimp...

Tyler's first plate...

DSCF0976.jpg

Chicken, rib, and cheese pizza...

Cary's first plate...

DSCF0977.jpg

Chili, ribs, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, and I cannot even tell what else???

Skye's second plate...

DSCF0978.jpg

Mac & Cheese, chicken, mashed potatoes, corn...

My second plate...

DSCF0979.jpg

Pasta salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, baked beans, mac & cheese, corn bread, corn, dinner roll, and a chicken leg...

Skyler's dessert plate...

DSCF0980.jpg

Chocolate cake, red velvet cake, chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, mint chocolate chip brownie...

Another of Cary's plates...

DSCF0981.jpg

Chili, mashed potatoes, ribs...

My dessert plate...

DSCF0982.jpg

I can't remember but looks like vanilla soft served ice cream, gummy bears, bread pudding, berry shortcake, n apple crumble kinda thing, I think banana pudding, and I cannot even make out what that other thing is???

Cary's dessert plate...

DSCF0983.jpg

corn bread, chocolate chip cookie, sugar cookie, apple crumble thing, berry shortcake...

Everything was really good! Lots of options while not being overwhelming. The set up is nice so you are not feeling like you are cutting in line when you want only one thing. Out plates were cleared and drinks kept full the whole time.

This was a really great, not fancy kinda meal. We really enjoyed it. It is a bit out of the way to get to though. The boat is more direct than the way we came.

DSCF0985.jpg

This is the entrance near where our table was.

We left at about 9:12pm. It was not crowded in there at all the whole time we were in there. When Cary went to pay Randall noticed the Disney Visa and gave us the 10% off that I did not even know was an option...didn't even think to look.

We would love to come back here some day. Not sure when that will be but if things worked out that this was on the radar, we'd have no problem returning.

TOTAL = $99.69
TOTAL so far = $1121.84

Friar's Nook

And we found The Friar's Nook. It was only 10:45am but they were open and serving food.

DSCF1009.jpg

We all decided to get something here but had we realized the food was so large, we would have shared!

Skye ordered the Macaroni and Cheese - topped with toasted panko bread crumbs (with her bread crumbs on the side)...

DSCF1010.jpg

It was huge and soupy and she loved it!

Tyler got the Hot Dog and Chips.

DSCF1011.jpg

It was a hot dog and chips...his was the only small option we got! LOL

Cary and I decided to share the Barbecue Chicken Macaroni & Cheese that comes with coleslaw...

DSCF1012.jpg

...and the Pot Roast Macaroni & Cheese that also came with coleslaw that is no longer on the menu!

DSCF1013.jpg

These were huge! Cary liked the chicken one better, I liked the pot roast one better. Both were really good though!

We also got two large cokes.

There is a small seating area to the side and we were able to get a table but I could see that being a problem later in the day. It is a covered area too so it is out of the sun and a tad bit cooler.

We all enjoyed the food here and I am sad to see the Pot Roast Mac & cheese not on the menu anymore. I can see us returning here though!

TOTAL = $46.04
TOTAL so far = $1167.88

Hi, I've been lurking on your trip reports :) Our family is going in August, yay! I'm wondering: what is your most FAVORITE food in "the World"? Like, what you think about and drool for when you're not at Disney? Just curious ;--)

Hhhhmmm...I don't even know if I could pick! There is so much good food in The World! I know Tyler would say a steak he had at California Grill over our Christmas trip But in general steak! Skye is usually Mac & Cheese or Salmon. Cary really loved the Teriyaki Been Sliders that are not at the food truck in Animal Kingdom anymore (but I am wondering if they are the same ones listed on the Nomad Lounge menu???). But me??? I just like food...that I don't have to plan, shop for, cook, and serve! LOL

We are in fact. We will be in The World in 6 days! We have five nights at ASMo with the Deluxe Dining Plan, three nights at Portofino Bay at Universal (Skye's dance team is dancing there!), three nights on the Carnival Liberty (they are dancing there too!), and then three nights at POFQ out of pocket. Meals planned are...

Skipper Canteen (L)...new to us
California Grill (D)

Teppan Edo (L)
Narcoossees (D)

Tony's (L)
The BOATHOUSE (D)...new to us

Mama Melsore (L)
Flying Fish (D)...new to us since the renovations but have been before that

Tiffins (L)...new to us
Jiko (D)

Planet Hollywood (L)...new to us since the renovations, were once befor ethat

We will do counter service at Universal.
We will stuff our faces on the cruise.

Then we have ...

STK (brunch)...new to us

Kona Café (L)
Via Napoli (D)

Tuskerhouse (late B)
Yak & Yeti (D)

Homecomin' (late L or early D, I forget)...new to us...I had this at lunch but had to changes it to later because Skyler and her duet partner are getting a class behind the scenes at Epcot at 1pm this day unexpectedly!)

So I was hoping to have this review done before we left bit I am pretty sure it's not gonna happen so....

don't miss the opportunity to dine at Mytho's at Island of Adventure it is a table service but their prices aren't like Disney TS and by all means do eat at one of the Harry Potter restaurants

Been reading along with much enjoyment! We always used the dp on our visits. However, last year I convinced my reluctant husband to just try oop and see how it goes. It is only the 2 of us. Kids are grown with kids of their own, so.............just Mom and Dad at Disney:)
Well, we loved NOT being on the DP. We found that we liked eating when and where we wanted, and what we wanted. We always ate too much on the DP, you know, gotta get the most out of the DP! We were never hungry to try other things during the day. By paying out of pocket, We found that we ate less, enjoyed it more, and saved a lot of money besides. All good things:) We shared food, ate a children's plate if we wanted, only ate 2 times a day if we wanted. We also did schedule 3 ADR's in restaurants that we love, in 10 days visit. We enjoyed those a lot, but really enjoyed the freedom of no set eating schedule.
It's great we all have such different ways to do things that work for us, and no one way is "right" for everyone. I admire that you tried all sorts of different foods, and shared too. Loved following along, and know you will enjoy your next DDP trip!

Love seeing all the WDW reports! If you're inclined for totally unsolicited advice - its a board, you get whatcha pay for, right? - Bice and Mythos at Universal are excellent and Mythos isn't even that spendy.

Your family is ADORABLE! Looking forward to the next installment.

Hi Sherry! Just reading one of your TR's and see that you used an online travel agent named Wendy. So funny, I am connected to a Wendy for our trip! I was wondering if it was the same lady :) Mine is Wendy from "YourMagicalJourneys.com"

Hhhhmmm...I don't even know if I could pick! There is so much good food in The World! I know Tyler would say a steak he had at California Grill over our Christmas trip But in general steak! Skye is usually Mac & Cheese or Salmon. Cary really loved the Teriyaki Been Sliders that are not at the food truck in Animal Kingdom anymore (but I am wondering if they are the same ones listed on the Nomad Lounge menu???). But me??? I just like food...that I don't have to plan, shop for, cook, and serve! LOL

We are in fact. We will be in The World in 6 days! We have five nights at ASMo with the Deluxe Dining Plan, three nights at Portofino Bay at Universal (Skye's dance team is dancing there!), three nights on the Carnival Liberty (they are dancing there too!), and then three nights at POFQ out of pocket. Meals planned are...

Skipper Canteen (L)...new to us
California Grill (D)

Teppan Edo (L)
Narcoossees (D)

Tony's (L)
The BOATHOUSE (D)...new to us

Mama Melsore (L)
Flying Fish (D)...new to us since the renovations but have been before that

Tiffins (L)...new to us
Jiko (D)

Planet Hollywood (L)...new to us since the renovations, were once befor ethat

We will do counter service at Universal.
We will stuff our faces on the cruise.

Then we have ...

STK (brunch)...new to us

Kona Café (L)
Via Napoli (D)

Tuskerhouse (late B)
Yak & Yeti (D)

Homecomin' (late L or early D, I forget)...new to us...I had this at lunch but had to changes it to later because Skyler and her duet partner are getting a class behind the scenes at Epcot at 1pm this day unexpectedly!)

So I was hoping to have this review done before we left bit I am pretty sure it's not gonna happen so....

Love your trip report. We will be at WDW in Sept. Will be on the regular dining plan. I have some really good ideas from your posts. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter