What rides can you take an 8 month old baby on?

michelleiada

DIS Veteran
Our next trip will include our first grandchild, an 8 month old baby boy.! What rides are baby friendly?

Our next trip will include our first grandchild, an 8 month old baby boy.! What rides are baby friendly?

We had our then 10 month old with us on our trip last December. We pretty much took her on any ride without a height requirement. MK has a lot of these (Peter Pan, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, etc.), while the other parks only have a handful—Toy Story Mania in HS, Navi River journey in AK, Frozen in Epcot. There are a few more.
My husband had no trouble “wearing” our daughter on most of the rides we took her on. IMO a baby carrier is a must!

We had our then 10 month old with us on our trip last December. We pretty much took her on any ride without a height requirement. MK has a lot of these (Peter Pan, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Small World, etc.), while the other parks only have a handful—Toy Story Mania in HS, Navi River journey in AK, Frozen in Epcot. There are a few more.
My husband had no trouble “wearing” our daughter on most of the rides we took her on. IMO a baby carrier is a must!
Thank you. Was it stressful for you, having a baby to tug along? We will be there to help out the new parents. I want them to enjoy vacation.

any ride without a height requirement but I would think twice about Toy Story as it jerks you around a lot. one thing to remember he can not be in any line with a height requirement even if someone plans to use the "chicken exit". hear a lot of people who are unhappy that you cant go thru line and skip out at the end

Thank you. Was it stressful for you, having a baby to tug along? We will be there to help out the new parents. I want them to enjoy vacation.

Surprisingly, it wasn’t. We actually had a great time and got a lot accomplished. We also had my 9 year old with us, so we used rider swap for all the big rides. Our baby could pretty much nap anywhere, so she slept in her stroller a lot of the time. She also couldn’t walk yet, so she was perfectly content in the stroller or carrier (she definitely wouldn’t be now!).

The fact that you guys will be there along with your daughter and grandson will make it even easier to swap off as needed.

I will say that because we went in December, we benefited from cool, comfortable weather, which made it easier to have her out longer—we even did some full days in the park with no break.

We took our youngest at 11 months. You’d be surprised by how many rides they can go on.

• Magic Kingdom
    • Astro Orbiter
    • Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
    • Country Bear Jamboree
    • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    • Enchanted Tales with Belle
    • Haunted Mansion
    • “It’s A Small World”
    • Jungle Cruise
    • Liberty Square Riverboat
    • Mad Tea Party
    • Mickey’s PhilharMagic
    • Monster’s Inc. Laugh Floor
    • Peter Pan’s Flight
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
    • Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
    • Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress
    • Walt Disney World Railroad
    • The Hall of Presidents
    • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
    • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    • Under the Sea ~Journey of the Little Mermaid
    • Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
  • EPCOT
    • Frozen Ever After
    • Gran Fiesta Tour Starring the Three Caballeros
    • O Canada!
    • Journey into Imagination with Figments
    • Living with the Land
    • Spaceship Earth
    • The Seas with Nemo & Friends
    • Turtle Talk with Crash
  • Hollywood Studios
    • Muppet*Vision 3D
    • Toy Story Midway Mania!
    • Walt Disney Presents
    • Beauty and the Beast – Live On Stage
    • Disney Junior – Live On Stage
    • For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration
    • Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
    • Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • Animal Kingdom
    • Affection Section
    • Conservation Station
    • It’s Tough to be a Bug!
    • Festival of the Lion King
    • Finding Nemo – The Musical
    • Kilimanjaro Safaris
    • The Boneyard Tricera Top Spin
    • Wildlife Express Train
    • Na’vi River Journey

From: https://mickeymomblog.com/2019/03/03/dos-donts-disney-world-newborn-infant/

Last edited:

the first time that we took our youngest was , when he was 4months old and my daughter was 2yrs. My oldest son was 11. We took my mother and she sat with the baby . We usually sat her in the shade with tea and danish. The 2yr went on everything possible. We all had a great time With the baby, since he was easy. We had more of a problem when the two year old, had terrible twos melt downs from being tired. Unlike my oldest who I had been taking since 2 on space mountain when all they had were seat belts.

We took my youngest at 7mo, and it was the easiest age. We took stroller and baby carrier and used both. We loved having grandparents along. My mom doesn't like fast rides, and she pushed him around in his stroller while my dad, husband, and I went on the bigger rides with the older kids. She took him on haunted mansion while we did Splash mountain- that's her favorite ride and he slept through the whole thing in the nice cool a/c. She loves that memory!

We went with 9 month old twins on our first trip, as well as our 4 yo and 6 yo. The twins were easier than the older two. They really just sleep a lot. You're walking around a lot, and they liked their stroller. You just plan in your meal times, and burping/diaper changes. Then they would knock out in the stroller and we could run around with the older guys. We had my wife's parents as well, so it made it easy to switch off for rides.

The one complication was the early mornings. Its one of our funniest memories from the trip, but every morning one of the twins would wake up early - between 5 and 6. We'd hear them making some noise in the room and I would get an elbow from the wife. I would hop out of bed, run to the bathroom, get dressed and brush my teeth quickly while my wife was loading whichever twin woke up in the stroller and I would walk out of the bathroom and my wife would have the stroller waiting in the hallway. I would then walk them around the resort till the rest of the family woke up. We didn't know much, so we were staying in a polynesian room. It was pretty tight for 6 of us. I would start every morning with a 3 mile walk around poly, or sometimes I would walk all the way over to GF. Then we would walk around the parks all day. It was exhausting, but its one of our favorite stories from all of our disney trips.

To the point of your post, and other peoples comments, there are A LOT of rides you can take a baby on. Ariel's under the sea journey was one of our favorites. Plus all the parades and character interactions.

We took our now five-month old to Disney from the time he was a month old (we are locals). So far he's been on The Little Mermaid, Small World, People Mover, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, and Frozen Ever After. Frozen Ever After was difficult to transfer while holding the baby, so I'd either make sure you have someone you can hand him off to while you climb on the boat or baby wear.

There are plenty of rides he will be able to ride. I never found a baby at WDW stressful. As others have mentioned, toddlers are typically more difficult!

It’s really nice you want to help and let the parents enjoy their trip. We have been with different configurations of grandparents and everyone has their own idea of how they want the trip to go. My in-laws said they would help us, but then refused to ever sit with the baby so my H and I could both ride something. And were just difficult in general about many aspects of the trip🙄 I don’t expect anyone to watch my kids if they don’t want to, but it annoyed me they offered and then wouldn’t do it. My dad goes in the other direction and it willing to do anything to make our lived easier. It’s awesome, but certainly not expected! On our last trip I felt bad and tried to ask him what HE wanted to do. But he just enjoys watching the grandkids have fun.

All 3 of my kids have been to Disney at around 10 months. We used a carrier and wore them on most rides. They also had no problem napping in the stroller.

ETA- We own at BLT so I am partial to that resort. I also like being on the monorail and walking distance from MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!