What rides to skip and not to skip?

jennifertoyy

Earning My Ears
Hey, we are going to disneyland for 3 days, so I was wondering what are the rides that are the best to go to, and the ones that aren't worth much.

2 adults-
16 yr old
10 yr old
and 4yr old

My brother is like 43 inches

My sister likes gentler rides, but not to gentle kinda mild

Me an my dad like more exiting rides, but we still enjoy the relaxing disney stuff too, and of course the classics, my mom is like that too.

What are the things to skip and not to skip with my family? :confused3

If you need more info I'll be on later.

Skip:
Carousel
Storyland Canal Boats
innoventions
shooting arcade in frontierland

Not to skip:
everything else!

We (DH, DS6 and DS2 and I) took our first trip to Disneyland in September, and our favorites were:
Peter Pan
Buzz Lightyear
Splash Mountain
Winnie the Pooh
Pirates of the Caribbean
Indiana Jones

DS6 also really loved the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, a very fast, jerky roller coaster. A thrillseeker has been born!

We also loved Soarin' and Grizzly River Run in California Adventure, though we did very few rides in that park, these are definite must-dos!

If you have time, even after re-riding some of your favorites :thumbsup2, I suggest not skipping anything that is open, or may be showing within your schedule.

If you have time, experience everything once.
You may be magically surprised. :yay:

Some of the over-looked by most, attractions and shows, at the Disneyland Resort are really fun and entertaining, for many ages.

Billy Hill & the Hillbillies
Disney Animation
Seasons of the Vine
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Both parks carousels
Big Thunder trail
Tom Sawyer Island
Disneyland Railroad
Playhouse Disney
Jedi Training Academy
Various character Meet & Greets
Talk to Stitch and Honda ASIMO in Innoventions
Various storytelling around the parks and Grand Californian Hotel fireplace
Live entertainment in both parks (sometimes with unexpected character performance and/or Guest interaction)
and in Downtown Disney

It's Disneyland, it's all for the young at heart. :cool1:

My 2 and 5yr olds LOVE the carousel, story book canal boats, It's a Small world, Peter Pan, etc.

They did not like: The Haunted Mansion, Mr. Toads Wild Ride

The 4 yr old may or may not be too small to go on some of the bigger rides, depends on size...

I would attempt anything that looks interesting, and even those that might not, and see how things go. With such a wide range of children ages, you might end up doing some rides together as a family and some apart..

Dont miss the Jungle cruise- it should appeal to all of your age groups. Big Thunder is a good coaster to start on. Its not too big or fast, its a bit jerky, but in general its an easy one. My 4 year old wanted to ride on 3 times in a row on our last trip. He also loved Splash Mt. and Grizzly River (in DCA).

None of us really enjoy Mr. Toad. My 8 year old has decided its the scariest ride in either park. The whole going to hell thing bothers her. LOL Snow White and Pinnocchio can be a bit scary for the 4 year old as well.

I have to memories when I went to disneyland, one when I was getting cinderella's autograph, and then the one when my mom was trying to get me into the snow white thing, I was crying my head off, I wouldn't go anything with a tunnel in it. The only other ride I went on that went inside something was it's a small world.

also keep in mind the height requirements for the rides also because u mentioned your brother is 43 in thatll get him on all rides in disneyland except indiana jones and driving alone on autopia. In DCA he can get on everything but the roller coaster california screaming and the maliboomer

If you like the classical, you just cant skip It's a Small World. It's simply classic Disney.

We usually skip:
Tarzan's Treehouse
Mark Twain Riverboat/any RoA
Disney Gallery
Billy Hill & the Hillbilles
Fronteirland Shootin Arcade
Dumbo(Too long of a line and not worth it to go in the early morning)
King Arthur Carousel-basic Carousel. Why waste your time?
Mad Tea Party-Same reason as Carousel
Innoventions
HISTA-If you've seen it once, that's plenty
Asto Orbitor-Same thing as Dumbo
All Characters-Biggest waste of time! Someone dressed up in a costume. Why would you want their autograph or a hug/pic?

DLR29 said:
We usually skip:
Dumbo(Too long of a line and not worth it to go in the early morning)
King Arthur Carousel-basic Carousel. Why waste your time?
Mad Tea Party-Same reason as Carousel
Asto Orbitor-Same thing as Dumbo
All Characters-Biggest waste of time! Someone dressed up in a costume. Why would you want their autograph or a hug/pic?

You must not have children...

Since we take our 3 and 6 year old to Disney to have the time of their lives, characters are a HUGE part of their lives... they also love dumbo and the tea cups etc..

We tend to skip all the big people rides - not because we don't like them, but we aren't visiting DL so the kids can wait around while we ride on Space and Indy, etc...

Some of my DDs favorite rides are Tea Cups, Carousel, Small World, & Dumbo, but they also love Big Thunder, Splash Mtn., Space Mtn., Autopia, all the biggies - try not to skip anything if you can help it. The point being, everyone is going to have different favorites for different reasons, and they may not be what you would imagine. There are a couple of rides that are definetely not worth their wait time, but I hate to offer my opinions and cast what might turn out to be one of your favorites in a negative light. Just find out for yourselves. However, I can say that DL will take much longer to explore than DCA. There are fewer attractions and recordedly much shorter lines at DCA.
Some advice would be to hit the non Fastpass rides first thing in the morning. We usually walk on the Matterhorn, sometimes riding 3-4 times in a row before there is a line. Later in the day, the wait can be 30-40 minutes, and no fastpass option. The same goes for Pirates, Dumbo, Peter Pan, and Mr. Toad's. Have fun!

I agree that, if you can, you shouldn't skip any rides. You never know when you might find a hidden treasure! I have been to Disneyland at least 10 times, and I had never been to the Tiki Room. I went on the last trip and thought it was fabulous!

DisneyLoverinWA

At DL, do not miss:

Tiki Room (good for a rest mid-afternoon)
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (fie on the blasphemers who say otherwise -- ;) )
Buzz Lightyear AstroBlasters
Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain RR (for all but the littlest one)
Pirates of the Caribbean
walk inside Sleeping Beauty's Castle

Avoid:

the Treehouse
Innoventions

Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter