What should we not miss -- food related

proud mom

Take me to my happy place.
I'm heading to Disneyland with my 22 year old daughter. We are both "foodies."

We are not really planning to do table service restaurants while at Disneyland and California Adventure. We are interested in food crawling through both parks.

What do you consider the "must eat" foods at both parks? Where can I find them? Do you have pictures?

Thank you!

Last edited:

A corn dog at DL is a must....seriously. As is the churro.

For snacks we also enjoy the tiger tail at Pooh Corner and Jalapeño stuffed pretzel from Coke Corner.

Another must for us is the fried chicken meal at Plaza Inn. The Red Rose Tavern menu looks interesting. Most would also recommend Jolly Holiday and French Market.

It's a shame you don't want to do table service, because some of my favorite food at DLR is only available at TS restaurants. In my case, it's the loaded baked potato soup at the Carnation Café and the pommes frites at Café Orleans (used to be the French onion soup at the Café Orleans as well, but sadly, they took it off the menu). I also love the Mickey waffle at Carnation, but I think you can get that at Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian as well.

For CS, though, I'm partial to the corn dogs from the Red Cart on Main Street, the fried chicken at the Plaza Inn, the skewers at the Bengal Barbecue (especially the bacon-wrapped asparagus), the Mickey-shaped beignets at the Mint Julep bar (although I usually get them at Café Orleans) and the more-authentic ones at the Jazz Kitchen Express in Downtown Disney. In DCA, I like the skewers with pita bread at the Paradise Garden Grill (if available; last time we were there they were serving Asian-themed food for Chinese New Year), the Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto pasta at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, and the sourdough bread bowls with soup at the Pacific Wharf Café. I also love the pineapple spears at the various fruit carts, and the popcorn in both parks is very good.

Definitely Plaza Inn Fried chicken. SO good...just had some yesterday. It's easily a sharable meal.

Bengal BBQ for a quick snack is a must do.

Poutine at Red Rose Taverne. They also just started serving breakfast there and they have some unique options.

Fried pickles and Chocolate Malts at Carnation Cafe!

Corn Dogs or Cheddar Cheese Stick at the Corn Dog castle in DCA.

Nachos at White Water Snacks at Grand Californian. I love the carnitas version.

Rancho del Zocalo or its equivalent at DCA (Cucina Cucamonga) has great Mexican platters.

Jolly Holiday Bakery has the BEST desserts.

Hit up Napolini at DtD for some amazing pizza available by the slice (so you can skip sitting down to eat).

Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup from Jolly Holliday. I’m not even a huge fan of those foods but love theirs. Also the fresh pineapple in Adventureland. I’m convinced they add something illegal to those to make them so good :lmao:

Agree with both, that grilled cheese and tomato soup is delicious, especially on a rare cold day. And the pineapple is always delicious. The pineapple I buy fresh at the grocery store is not nearly as good.

I am a huge fan of the Dole Whip and find that often that going into the Tiki Room is a shorter wait, but it's easy to get the one outside too.

If you're going soon, check if your dates will be during the food and wine festival. I believe it starts in a couple of weeks and that could be a game changed food-wise. My partner and I went during the Festival of Holidays (holiday themed food festival basically) and we skipped all our usual favorites so we could try as many festival offerings as possible.

On a normal food day, our one must-do is the sourdough bread bowls in DCA. We usually go in Fall and if they're offering the orange-cream soft serve at DCA that's also a must-do. We also enjoy the pommes frites at Cafe Orleans, though that requires a sit-down meal. I usually book an ADR for our busiest day for a late lunch, and we pair the pommes frites with a side of soup and enjoy the break. Although if you're willing to have a sit-down meal and you really want to indulge your foodie side, Napa Rose would be a good choice.

Can't believe I forgot about Plaza Inn being a CS restaurant also. Lots of love for the Fried Chicken, but that Cobb Salad is really good too.

I don't think I can add anything, all my favs have been mentioned (the Corn Dog at the Main Street Cart is the only "must" for me). But DL is a counter service bonanza, graze to your hearts content.

Love posts about food !! Keep 'em coming!!

I'm only there for 3 days though...there def won't be enough time to eat everything I want to!

We're going to Blue Bayou one afternoon, because I really want to check it out. I feel like we're wasting a meal though, cause there's nothing there I'm excited about eating... Do you guys think it's worth it though?!

We're going to Blue Bayou one afternoon, because I really want to check it out. I feel like we're wasting a meal though, cause there's nothing there I'm excited about eating... Do you guys think it's worth it though?!

Absolutely not! This is the most over hyped, underwhelming restaurant at DLR. Skip it.

If you're really not interested in the food, you could just order drinks and dessert. I've seen this discussed before and the general opinion I've seen is that as long as you don't hold up the table for an excessively long time and you tip, there's nothing wrong with not ordering a full meal. Although I will say that I haven't tried this personally and I notice that the desserts are not listed on the menu online, so I can't guarantee that they're available a la carte and how much they cost. I could have sworn I had seen people say they've done this, so I'm surprised I don't see desserts on the menu.

Matterhorn Macaroon at the Holly Jolly Bakery.
You can get a corndog at the Stage Door Café and eat it at the Golden Horseshoe while watching a show and having some break time. You can get it a la carte for a bit cheaper (you can actually do this for most meals/sandwiches if you don't want the fries or chips).
We enjoy the fried chicken at Plaza Inn, but share the meal by ordering an extra side and an extra roll.

I also love the Mickey waffle at Carnation, but I think you can get that at Whitewater Snacks at the Grand Californian as well.

The Mickey waffles at Whitewater Snacks are really good - 3 mini waffles with strawberry compote and maple syrup. :cloud9:

Lobster Rolls across from HM, Mickey Beignets and the fried dough from Hungry Bear are favorites!

Apologies for any repeats:

Breakfast-Brioche French toast at Flo’s; beignets/breakfast burritos from Jazz Kitchen Express in DTD

Lunch/Dinner-Pacific Wharf Cafe for sourdough bread bowls; Jolly Holiday has some super yummy seasonal salads; my kids like the chimichangas found at different stands in both parks; Whitewater Snacks at the Grand and Tangaroa Terrace at DLH are great options if you’ll be visiting either; Earl of Sandwich in DTD; Paradise Garden Grill if you’re there after Lunar New Year

Treats- Ghirardelli; chocolate dipped soft serve at Cozy Cones; Jolly Holiday has tons to choose from; and of course Sprinkles in DTD can have some yummy cupcakes plus an absolutely delicious chocolate chip cookie you can have warmed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter