What show will open the Main Street Theater? (Poll)

What show will open the Main Street Theater?

• Total voters
I am all over the place on this. I initially thought Beauty And The Beast because it is so popular, but then remembered they already have a show based on that movie in DHS. So then I thought Tangled for the reasons some have said above - it is just not that represented in the parks. However, I actually think we could very easily get more of a mixed show with elements drawn from many different movies. Sort of similar to what they do on DCL. They could then satisfy many more people who would see their favorite represented plus have flexibility to change out scenes over time.

Would it possibly be more of a "Mickey and the Magical Map" style show from Disneyland?

I all for bringing back Tarzan. Hopefully it wont be Toy Story.

I'm guessing whatever show they produce there will be based on either an animated movie or live-action remake of an animated movie that comes out between now and the theaters opening - so Aladdin, Mulan, Ralph Breaks the Internet, or Frozen 2, and I'll include Beauty and the Beast since that's still so new. For now I'm betting it'll be Beauty and the Beast, in the style of the new stage show on the Disney Cruise Line, since the original still seems to be one of Disney's most popular and the remake has gotten such a warm welcome.

Personally, I'd love to see a staged version of Snow White, to kind of honor the movie that started it all - especially since Walt Disney was inspired to make it after seeing a staged production of the story. That's probably a long shot, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

I'm guessing whatever show they produce there will be based on either an animated movie or live-action remake of an animated movie that comes out between now and the theaters opening - so Aladdin, Mulan, Ralph Breaks the Internet, or Frozen 2, and I'll include Beauty and the Beast since that's still so new. For now I'm betting it'll be Beauty and the Beast, in the style of the new stage show on the Disney Cruise Line, since the original still seems to be one of Disney's most popular and the remake has gotten such a warm welcome.

Personally, I'd love to see a staged version of Snow White, to kind of honor the movie that started it all - especially since Walt Disney was inspired to make it after seeing a staged production of the story. That's probably a long shot, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

I love the Snow White idea - and could create puppets like they have for the DCL BatB show as the dwarfs

I can't picture Disney Parks doing something that might harm business at a different Disney division. As such, I think it's unlikely that this theatre will show anything that 1) is on or might be on Broadway, 2) is a touring Broadway show, 3) is a potential revival on Broadway or on tour, or 4) is available for school or community theatres via Disney Theatrical Licensing.

If that's a correct assumption, the following shows from the poll would not happen: Beauty and the Best, Frozen, Hercules, Mary Poppins, Newsies, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Little Mermaid.

If anyone is interested, here's a list of Disney shows available for school or community theatres: http://disneytheatricallicensing.com/browse-shows/

Last edited:

I can't picture Disney Parks doing something that might harm business at a different Disney division. As such, I think it's unlikely that this theatre will show anything that 1) is on Broadway, 2) is a touring Broadway show, 3) is a potential revival on Broadway or on tour, or 4) is available for school or community theatres via Disney Theatrical Licensing.

If that's a correct assumption, the following shows from the poll would not happen: Beauty and the Best, Frozen, Hercules, Mary Poppins, Newsies, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Little Mermaid.

If anyone is interested, here's a list of Disney shows available for school or community theatres: http://disneytheatricallicensing.com/browse-shows/
Well they do run Frozen already in DCA so it is possible. Sure the DCA show isn't the same as the Broadway show but it is a long show for something in a theme park and has some broadway like qualities.

I can't picture Disney Parks doing something that might harm business at a different Disney division. As such, I think it's unlikely that this theatre will show anything that 1) is on Broadway, 2) is a touring Broadway show, 3) is a potential revival on Broadway or on tour, or 4) is available for school or community theatres via Disney Theatrical Licensing.

Overall I agree. This is why I highly doubt it will be Frozen, as they wont want any possibility of diminishing Broadway sales.

Though an important factor to note in regards to licensing is that the license holder can restrict what theaters are able to get a license. This happens all the time and not just with Disney. So if you are a high school, community theater, or regional theater who wants to stage Les Miserables, but the national tour is coming to your city, you will not be granted the right to stage the show in the months surrounding the tour. If they truly believed a nearby production would be too much competition, they can simply withhold the rights to that area. (Also, Hercules does not yet have a stage adaptation. If you were referring to a potential Broadway production, that would be several years down the road).

Well they do run Frozen already in DCA so it is possible. Sure the DCA show isn't the same as the Broadway show but it is a long show for something in a theme park and has some broadway like qualities.

Though the DCA version came first so might be a bit different than to now do a version at WDW

Also, different coasts so maybe less competition between Broadway, NY and Disneyland, CA

Add Aladdin to that list. I just saw it in August on stage in London’s west end.

True, although I think the theme park version happened before the Broadway version began in earnest.

Though an important factor to note in regards to licensing is that the license holder can restrict what theaters are able to get a license. This happens all the time and not just with Disney. So if you are a high school, community theater, or regional theater who wants to stage Les Miserables, but the national tour is coming to your city, you will not be granted the right to stage the show in the months surrounding the tour. If they truly believed a nearby production would be too much competition, they can simply withhold the rights to that area. (Also, Hercules does not yet have a stage adaptation. If you were referring to a potential Broadway production, that would be several years down the road).

I wasn't thinking about local productions undermining popularity of the show at Magic Kingdom. Instead, my concern was that local productions would be less likely to select that show if so many people are used to seeing it every time they go to Orlando. That's where the loss of revenue occurs.

And, yes, Hercules is planned for Broadway. That's why I included it.

Add Aladdin to that list. I just saw it in August on stage in London’s west end.

I only included shows that were listed in the poll. That's why Aladdin wasn't included in my comments. But, I agree, I wouldn't expect Disney to put that show in Magic Kingdom.

-----

Personally, I hope the show isn't based on a single movie. Give me something with variety.

I think the smartest move would be to copy the structure that Cirque du Soleil uses for most of their shows. Create full-cast opening and closing numbers that don't change. Then, have acts that highlight individual performers or small groups. You always have one or more acts that aren't scheduled but available. If someone calls in sick or gets injured, you simply substitute a different act instead of scrambling at the last minute.

Using this method, you could also purposely make the show a little different throughout the day. And, it's much easier to change over time without completely retooling the entire show. If the most recent animated movie has a blockbuster song like "Let It Go", a modular variety show could feature that song with just a few weeks notice. If a show is based on a single IP, that sort of thing wouldn't be possible.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

My guess it will be for a newer show for a newer property. So I doubt we'd see Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback, Newsies, etc.

So probably Frozen, Moana, or even Descendants ... since that has a ton of catchy tunes.

I wonder if they will just simply move the Frozen show (updating it for Frozen 2) over to the MK, freeing up the theatre in DHS for perhaps an eventual reconstruction of the Echo Lake area (since Star Tours doesn't seem to fit, Indiana jones is dated (and doesn't fit the them anymore as it is the only attraction left that is about the "making" of movies), and the "Sounds Dangerous" theatre just sits in disrepair and limited use. Plus the Sci-Fi Drive in and ABC commissary really don't fit in anymore either.

I don't see that happening until well after SWGE, but who knows when the theatre will be complete at MK. Plopping Frozen there could be an easy first step for the new theatre while freeing up some space at DHS for a new show or reconstruction.

I think the smartest move would be to copy the structure that Cirque du Soleil uses for most of their shows. Create full-cast opening and closing numbers that don't change. Then, have acts that highlight individual performers or small groups. You always have one or more acts that aren't scheduled but available. If someone calls in sick or gets injured, you simply substitute a different act instead of scrambling at the last minute.

Using this method, you could also purposely make the show a little different throughout the day. And, it's much easier to change over time without completely retooling the entire show. If the most recent animated movie has a blockbuster song like "Let It Go", a modular variety show could feature that song with just a few weeks notice. If a show is based on a single IP, that sort of thing wouldn't be possible.

that's pretty similar to how festival of the lion king works... i could see them doing something like that, honestly

I don't see that happening until well after SWGE, but who knows when the theatre will be complete at MK.

Back when I worked at Disney World, I was told that attractions take a long time to build because they require specialized contractors. Supposedly, there are only a limited number of contractors that are qualified to build non-standard structures. Those contractors are in high demand, since there are multiple theme parks in Orlando/Tampa. I'm not sure of the veracity of these statements, but they do have a certain common-sensical feel to them.

In contrast, something like a hotel can be built much quicker because there are numerous companies that construct those types of buildings. I mean, how hard would it be to build a bunch of identical guest rooms?

I'm a neophyte to construction, but I'd probably place Magic's Kingdom's new theatre in the middle of Star Wars and a new resort in terms of difficulty. It seems like it would just be a big open space with a raked floor. I can't imagine Disney is spending much on acoustics, so there probably won't spend much time perfecting the space. As such, I'd guess that the theatre will be a fairly quick build.

Of course, this is pure speculation.

Side note: I was also told that the limited contractor scenario is why attractions generally take longer to build in Orlando when compared to Anaheim. The Orlando area has about 2.4 million people compared to 13 million in Southern California. More people theoretically means more companies who are qualified to build attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter