What To Choose - New To Photography (Newbie Questions)

Shane

Tower of Terror Mad!
Hiya All

I have posted on the Photography Board a few times now, mostly with questions about photography :rolleyes1 . Well, I am acutally in the stage of buying my first camera,and,like always, I have no idea of where to start, I have a budget of around £450(Not that I wanna spend that much) and am looking for a pick up and play camera such as the Sony-Cybershot, well... your thoughts would be nice on what to buy :rotfl2:

Many Thanks

Shane

Welcome to the darkside! :darth: The problem is we don't really know what 450 BP can buy in The UK. In Canada, for 450 BP you can get a RebelXT with its kit lens.

I personally would not recommend any camera that's tiny and thin (regardless of brand) because there is no way for me to hold it real steady. Also, optically, none of these cameras can be considered excellent (the Sony really thin camera thingie is actually very good, but far from excellent).

Yeah yeah I know, I'm rambling. Time for me to step off the soap box. Gotta prepare supper... an hour ago :rolleyes1 :crazy:

One GB pound is currently worth about 1.76 US dollars. You have plenty of money to buy a good camera unless you are looking at a DSLR. Try going to your local photo shop and handle some cameras and get an idea of what you think you would like, sizewise and how easy they are to operate. Before buying anything get back on your computer and check out some of the online review sites such as http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ and http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.dir and http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html There are hundreds of digital cameras out there.

I don't mean that, ndelaware. What I mean was the pricing scheme difference between UK and NA. I remember (when I lived in AU) the price for electronics over there tend to be anywhere from 50% to 100% MORE than the price of that same item in NA.

So maybe 450 BP can buy you a RebelXT kit in Canada but only a Kodak P880 in UK.

Truthfully Kelly, I was trying to add to what you said, not contradict it. Sorry if it sounded that way.

i would agreethat small cameras are hard to hold steady...i have a canon ixus and its too darn small! though i believe newer cameras now have image stabilisers so its not such a big deal any more :)

ndelaware said:
Truthfully Kelly, I was trying to add to what you said, not contradict it. Sorry if it sounded that way.

Ndelaware, I'm the one who should apologize, I should've read it more carefully. :grouphug:

Shane do you have a jessops store by you, if so go in and talk to someone they will give you some good advice. Tell them your budget and what you are looking for. I have just bought a digital SLR nikon D50 from them for £459 on offer. Its so unfair but prices over here are much more expensive than in the USA. Good luck

Deedee said:
I have just bought a digital SLR nikon D50 from them for £459 on offer.
Yikes, that is expensive! It would be about 370 GB pounds here thru an online dealer.

Well, I would prefer a stlyish camera rather than something pretty bulky/big to carry around...

I have seen 8.0 Mega-Pixel+ camers much cheaper than some 5-6 Mega-Pixel cameras, how come?

Because it's cheaper to create a sensor than an array of highly calibrated optics and people tend to buy into the MP war.

Ah I understand, The Canon IXUS is £195 5.0megapixel camera, does anyone have one or any photos taken with one?

When I bought my Canon 300D from Jessops they price matched any internet store, so long as it was UK spec and in stock.

Why don't you research Nikon and Canon and look for best price before going in to try out :)

unfortunately Jessops don't do internet price matches any more i tried 3 weeks ago. They did it with our camcorder 2 years ago but not this time.

Hello Shane,

I had one of the original Canon digital cameras, the S20 ($699 US in 2000), which was one of the basis for development for the IXUS. It is a 3.2 meg camera and served me well for many years with very good clarity and true color reproduction. I have recently upgraded to the Canon 20D (DSLR) and my daughter has very happily taken my old Canon giving 'mom' her new Kodak.

The camera is very well built and the only issues I had with it (as with all the early digital cameras) was that it has a very limited flash range. Other than that issue, even some of the newer cameras can't compete with it. If I were to go with another 'shirt pocket' camera I would lean towards the Canon or a Nikon, because of it's reliablity with both brands... Sony tends to be too proprietary and pictures can be a little soft (just an opinion).

Good luck, there are plenty of sites to research the camera on and even see sample pictures (such as dpreview and dcresource).

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter