What to do when you travel with friends?

goofynut41

Disney Veteran
I guess I need to vent... Planned a girls trip and they told me they didn't care what I did cause I was the expert... Never been to Disney with anyone but my husband and he does what I do no complaints. So we get together for a meeting to dicuss what the plans are... I start hearing I don't want to get up that early and Im not riding that, I not bringing that much clothes. Don't want to eat there too expensive... What do I do? I told them They didn't have to do what I did but Im gonna do what I planned with fast passes and dining reservations getting to HS and getting my BG.. If they don't want to ride don't come with me... Was I wrong????? Feeling kinda letdown...

Friend trips are always different to with husband, especially if he’s very easy going, and the group trip is large and diverse. Maybe pick a couple of headline activities you want to do each and try to mix & match? Try to decide budget before discussing restaurant choices? As for clothes, I wouldn’t be influenced by how much anyone else takes - wear what feels right for you. 😀

It depends, IMO, I've done friends trips. I've been so much and I know I'm going back, so I let them set the pace with my input. I try to take their taste and budget into account and go from there. However, if it's something like Rise that I want to go ride and it's my only chance, then plan to do that and meet them somewhere in Studios a bit later in the day. It's fine to go off and do something on your own, but if it's about a friends specific trip, then try to focus on that more often than not.

Clothes is their own deal, and yeah, unless I'm paying, then the price needs to be weighed for food. Rides are individual choices as well. It sounds like maybe the planning meeting should maybe have happened a bit earlier on? The trip will be different, but if you go with the flow, and they go with the flow it'll be a lot of fun!

I did ask them way before all the reservations were made they seemed to never have time to talk to me and said whatever you do is fine... I even got the impression that they didn't want to go or go with me... Im probably reading too much into it... We leave next week.. Im just gonna go with the flow its not like I wont go back... But Im am tring for Rise! that's a given!!!!

I guess I need to vent... Planned a girls trip and they told me they didn't care what I did cause I was the expert... Never been to Disney with anyone but my husband and he does what I do no complaints. So we get together for a meeting to dicuss what the plans are... I start hearing I don't want to get up that early and Im not riding that, I not bringing that much clothes. Don't want to eat there too expensive... What do I do? I told them They didn't have to do what I did but Im gonna do what I planned with fast passes and dining reservations getting to HS and getting my BG.. If they don't want to ride don't come with me... Was I wrong????? Feeling kinda letdown...
Never go to Disney with friends who don't understand Disney. Never, ever ends well. People think they can just show up and wait in line and have fun.

Nope, it doesn't work that way.

I don't think you were wrong - sorry you are having to deal with this.

Yeah, I've had several trips like that (not just Disney), and if they won't give input, I simply say; here's what I'm doing, you're welcome to join in with me if you want, if not text later and I'll join back up at some point. You can only do what you can do!

Disney is a VERY HARD place to travel with others when you aren't controlling their FPs, ADRs, and general schedule.

My advice, and what we do, is go WHEN YOU want to and let the others know they're happy to meet you there if they wish. We try to match FPs as closely as possible outside of that.

It is hard when you go with someone new. They have their ideas of a good vacation, and you have yours. It is VERY hard for non-Disney goers to understand a plan really makes a trip a successful one. I don't think they don't want to go, I just feel they don't realize how you have to plan!

Know what are definite things for you -- no way would I go without trying to get on ROTR. I would be so angry at myself afterwards if I didn't try. Hopefully you will have 1 friend that shares in your excitement, especially because your boarding group could be in the evening and impact your plans. Also, I know I what rides are my must do's. It isn't an extensive list, but there are a few. Stick to those, and hopefully they will learn that you are a valuable asset to have around!

For dining, that is where I would give a little. I definitely would want some table service restaurants, but unless it is a place I know I would never return, then I would go with the flow. No doubt, I would longingly look at Flying Fish, wishing I was there, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. Again, compromise.

Clothes, you can't give that any consideration. What they pack is what they pack. Hopefully they won't complain when they realize they should have packed something you told them to. 🤞

Good Luck! Just remember what you said, you will be back so don't get too caught up in doing it differently.

You have to compromise. Take it as an opportunity to try new stuff.

Even when I go with my SO, we’ll split up and do different attractions. She loves Jurassic Park. I love Forbidden Journey. We split up, ride our rides, and then get back together. We still do stuff together. But we sometimes do our own thing.

If your group is large enough, split into smaller groups for some stuff.

On the clothes part I just told them that its been cool down there and they might wanna pack some extra clothes for just in case... Course Im a overpacker lol....And I paid for Cinderella Castle and told them it was my treat... Don't think I was asking for too much.. Via Napoli and Sci Fi was the other, Oh also Beast Castle for Breakfast...

You have to compromise. Take it as an opportunity to try new stuff.

Even when I go with my SO, we’ll split up and do different attractions. She loves Jurassic Park. I love Forbidden Journey. We split up, ride our rides, and then get back together. We still do stuff together. But we sometimes do our own thing.

If your group is large enough, split into smaller groups for some stuff.
Its just three of us..

On the clothes part I just told them that its been cool down there and they might wanna pack some extra clothes for just in case... Course Im a overpacker lol....And I paid for Cinderella Castle and told them it was my treat... Don't think I was asking for too much.. Via Napoli and Sci Fi was the other, Oh also Beast Castle for Breakfast...

How nice treating them to Cinderella's Castle!

Did they think Via Napoli and Sci Fi were too much? Those are great options that aren't break the bank expensive! I hope they didn't fight those.

I feel for you with this. For 9 months I planned a trip with my in-laws, who hadn't been to Disney in 20 years. Everything was "you know what you'd doing, we trust you! We don't care where we eat! We will ride anything! We'll wake up at 4am!" (it was extra extra magic hours when we went)...flash forward to the second day of our trip and they won't wake up before 7am, they "never said they'd ride any roller coasters," they hated LITERALLY every restaurant we went to (on Deluxe Dining, so it was a lot), etc. We didn't get to HS till 6:30 on a 6am opening day...sigh. I hope your trip goes better.

I would say to compromise but at the same time, they've been financially invested in something and at the last minute decide to change plans, so that's on them. Maybe show them menus and explain nowhere is cheap to eat (and seriously, they're complaining about the places you listed??? I thought you were throwing Yachtsman and Cali Grill prices at them lol!), the weather is crazy so they better pack accordingly, and the rides you chose are the best from your experience. I wouldn't compromise on ROTR though! :)

On another note I had the whole trip fixed so we wouldn't have to rent a car... One of my friends smoke and she said she had to rent a car, I told her about the parking charges, it didn't matter she was renting a car... I said ok I'll cancel our magic express... She said and Im taking smoke breaks... I told her not in the park its no smoking... Guess she will leave every time she wants to smoke... I'm not....

How nice treating them to Cinderella's Castle!

Did they think Via Napoli and Sci Fi were too much? Those are great options that aren't break the bank expensive! I hope they didn't fight those.
I want know till we get there...

When I go with a group (especially new people), I tell them "Hey, this is what I'm doing. You're welcome to come along or to do your own thing". Generally my friends follow me around like ducklings at Disney, haha. But the best way to have fun with multiple people is to make it clear up front that the group can split up & do separate things with no hard feelings. They don't want to rope drop? Cool, you'll be at DHS & they can come find you later in the day. They don't want to go to the Boathouse/BOG/California Grill but you do? That's fine, go solo! I would just be firm in that you're not waiting around on them, because it's your vacation too. My husband doesn't like to RD, but he also complains about long lines. Well then buddy, get your tush out of bed & get to MK at 7am with me and not 11am! Just don't alienate them either - they're welcome to join you and let you drive, or they can do it their own way. As for the clothes thing, I would tell people what to wear, so that one I'm with them on. Unless you're going to Victoria & Albert's they don't need to bring fancy clothes or anything.

I think maybe they wanted me because of my military discount.. I always stay in deluxe and my friends have only stayed in value so I split the middle and stayed moderate at POR in a royal room... I havnt heard anything on that yet, hope its good...

When I go with a group (especially new people), I tell them "Hey, this is what I'm doing. You're welcome to come along or to do your own thing". Generally my friends follow me around like ducklings at Disney, haha. But the best way to have fun with multiple people is to make it clear up front that the group can split up & do separate things with no hard feelings. They don't want to rope drop? Cool, you'll be at DHS & they can come find you later in the day. They don't want to go to the Boathouse/BOG/California Grill but you do? That's fine, go solo! I would just be firm in that you're not waiting around on them, because it's your vacation too. My husband doesn't like to RD, but he also complains about long lines. Well then buddy, get your tush out of bed & get to MK at 7am with me and not 11am! Just don't alienate them either - they're welcome to join you and let you drive, or they can do it their own way. As for the clothes thing, I would tell people what to wear, so that one I'm with them on. Unless you're going to Victoria & Albert's they don't need to bring fancy clothes or anything.
Oh know I didn't by any means tell them what to wear, just bring extra clothes because of the weather...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter