What to do with one day/night in Orlando after our Cruise?

Lauraisfabu

Earning My Ears
Hi All! We've never cruised before and are looking for advice. We get back from our cruise on a Saturday morning, but don't fly home until Sunday morning. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to spend that time? We do not want to buy one-day park tickets because they are so expensive. We're also curious to know if we're likely to be exhausted or energized when we come back.

Is it worth it to stay at a Disney resort, or is that too much money for just one night when you're not going to the parks? Would a Disney water park be a good option, or will we already be over-stimulated from the cruise? Are there not-to-miss non-Disney activities you would recommend for just one day?

Any and all ideas are appreciated! Our kids are 12 and 8, and we are sailing in late February/early March.

Thank you!

How about a stay at Yacht or Beach Club and enjoy Stormalong Bay? The increase in cost from to stay at a deluxe hotel would probably be less than buying tickets for everyone to a water park, especially if you wait to book once the discounts come out. And there are lots of great dining options there (Beaches & Cream; late-morning character breakfast at Cape May Café or Trattoria just 5 minutes away at the Boardwalk). Plus, you'd be close to the mini golf.

We chose to stay offsite for that one night but made a dinner reservation for Kona. We enjoyed our meal and then watched HEA fireworks from the Poly beach. The view was great but the audio left something to be desired.

We love Disney Springs to walk around and relax, stay offsite close to airport and eat at Wawa. They make the best hoagies!!!! I miss Wawa so much as I am from Philadelphia and happy to see so many popping up in the Orlando area. 10 bucks will get you a hoagie, fountain soda, philly soft pretzel and even a Tastykake!

We would stay at a deluxe resort after a cruise. I could not justify spending that much for a week's stay when most of the time you are in the parks but for one night made it seem better. I would suggest AKL Jamba House. It has the feel of AK park with the animals roaming outside your window. There is plenty to do at the resort. If you have wanted to try Boma or Jiko, there you go. It also has the most unusual gift shop. There is then there is a couple of tours that base there (Starlight Safari and Sense of Africa) if finances permit. Or you could head on out to Disney Springs. Use DME to deal with luggage and transportation back to airport next day at the resort.

There is tons and tons of stuff to do in Orlando. Without a theme park, and even the water parks can be pretty expensive, there are still lots of things to do in and around Orlando. If you have a car, some of the things we have enjoyed are Leu Gardens and Titanic: The Experience. Without a car, I would definitely stay on Disney property (it is, after all, a huge resort that has lots and lots of recreation options other than the parks) and use their transportation to get around. Maybe work in a round of mini-golf at Fantasia Gardens (~5-10 minute walk from the Boardwalk area), rent bicycles or boats at one or multiple resorts, or even do a trail ride at Fort Wilderness. Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

How about a stay at Yacht or Beach Club and enjoy Stormalong Bay? The increase in cost from to stay at a deluxe hotel would probably be less than buying tickets for everyone to a water park, especially if you wait to book once the discounts come out. And there are lots of great dining options there (Beaches & Cream; late-morning character breakfast at Cape May Café or Trattoria just 5 minutes away at the Boardwalk). Plus, you'd be close to the mini golf.

Until this post I had never heard of Stormalong Bay. When I looked it up, it looked AMAZING. So does the Yacht Club, but the rates there almost gave me a heart attack! ;-) I could maybe justify it with some lengthy and delusional internal dialogue. What do you mean by "once the discounts come out"?

We have stayed at the beach club and love it.. best benefit if the pool and walking distance to Epcot. you also have the boats as free thing to do. Depends on the time of year.. if you are going jan-mar.. it may be too cold to stay the whole afternoon at the pool.

We sailed our first disney dream 4 night a few weeks ago. I can definately comment I was EXHAUSTED getting of the ship. For me it was not a relaxing vacation, where I tanked up my energy by simplly lounging all day. but I am not being negative I had a great time and was not tired on the trip at all. We slept about 7-8 hrs a night. what made de-embarkation exhausting for me was:
1. We went to bed later than the other nights.. we were sooo sad it was our last night,, we simply wanted to enjoy the last hours as long as we could.
2. We ( meaning ME) had to pack suitcases out by 10pm, but we had a lot of carryon. IMO it's the little things that are more stressful to pack up.
3. We had a late seating for the last breakfast... but you need to be out of your room by 8am.. so we got kids up at 7am.. they were tired and crabby..
4. breakfast, customs, getting rental car were not at the time exhausting...

exhausting hit when I was driving back to WDW.. the drive is straight and boring.. my DH was not on this trip, but had I been the passenger, i would have crashed and slept the whole trip.. Driving then after the evening and morning excitement and " stress" of packing up and leaving hit me..

I had the added stress of going back to Beach Club to get held luggage and then check-in to All star movies for our one night...

After relaxing a bit we were pepped back up and went to MK around 2pm until about 7pm... had a relaxing evening at resort pool.. dont think the kids and I would have made it to a late park night. Was really happy I did NOT buy the MNSSHP party tickets for the night...

my kid are 12 and 13. Have a pic of DD lying on the last row of the bus sleeping on the way to MK:

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend overscheduling that day. My two were 10 and 7 on our last cruise and they were absolutely wiped out when we got off the ship! A water park would have been way too much. A nice resort with a cool pool would have been the right speed.

I'm more of a moderate kind of girl. I like the pool at Port Orleans Riverside. I like the boat to Disney Springs for dinner even more!

I wouldn't recommend overscheduling that day. My two were 10 and 7 on our last cruise and they were absolutely wiped out when we got off the ship! A water park would have been way too much. A nice resort with a cool pool would have been the right speed.

I'm more of a moderate kind of girl. I like the pool at Port Orleans Riverside. I like the boat to Disney Springs for dinner even more!

didnt think of POR! great idea instead of BC.. seeing they are there end of Feb.. could be a bit cold to enjoy the pool the whole day to justify the cost, especially if they have no park tickets ( walk to epcot a reason to pay more).. We loved the boat from POR to Disney Springs...

Until this post I had never heard of Stormalong Bay. When I looked it up, it looked AMAZING. So does the Yacht Club, but the rates there almost gave me a heart attack! ;-) I could maybe justify it with some lengthy and delusional internal dialogue. What do you mean by "once the discounts come out"?

Disney usually offers discounts a few months in advance; typically around 20-25% off for deluxe resorts. We stayed at beach club this summer for ~$330 a night. Expensive, but not crazy for what you get. I would never pay rack rate for a disney hotel. Just go the website and look at the page for "special offers." For example, the offer available right now is 20% at beach club and yacht club through December. In a month or two, they will likely put out discounts for the start of 2019.

It's been several years since I did the cruise but my daughter (then 7) and I really enjoyed staying at the Contemporary Resort for the night after our cruise, and before we flew home. We'd already spent the week before the cruise in the parks so felt no need to go back to the parks but were glad to have the chance to explore Downtown Disney as it was then (now Disney Springs). There was plenty keep us occupied. The sheer novelty factor of having the monorail glide right through the hotel was enough to make it really special. We had breakfast at Chef Mickey's the next morning and then got DME back to the airport. A special way to wind down after an amazing vacation. And yes, the cruise is surprisingly tiring -- especially getting up early to get off the ship.

I would look into one of the Disney Springs resorts and spend the day swimming and going to Disney Springs. There is no reason, IMHO, to spend WDW resort prices if you aren't going to the parks.

POR would be a great choice too. Be sure to catch Yehaa Bob at the River Roost. He puts on a great family friendly show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter