What to expect. . .??

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
We are staying for our first time in two DVC resorts in June (BWV & SSR).
What should we expect as far as quality (maintenance/looks) of the rooms?
I guess I was anticipating them to look like any nice hotel room at Disney
(with a size difference, of course). However, so many posts comment on numerous items in the rooms that are broken or gouged or cracked or in bad shape somehow.
Are these reports primarily because as DVC members who have ownership, we are sure to scrutinize the room carefully to be sure our rooms are properly maintained? Or are the rooms in less than normal quality shape? I will admit, it makes me a little nervous. We are hoping/expecting to walk in and see a beautiful room that reinforces that we made the right decision to purchase DVC. Have I just read the wrong reports?

Thanks -

Ellen

After we purchased VWL site unseen, we started reading some negative posts regarding issues there. But it was all for nothing, as many DIS/DVCers reassured me all would be OK. And they were right!

I wouldnt let these posts get you down or concerned. Yes, there have been minor things thatdidnt cause big issue for us. And each time we visit, we find things in great shape all in all.

So go with your chin up and know you are staying in some of the best rooms WDW has to offer!

We've stayed so far at only VWL and OKW (total of 4 trips). But we have not been disappointed. The rooms have always been clean, never had an issue. The only thing that made me scratch my head was the inside of the bathroom door at VWL was kind of scratched/chewed. All I could think of was that maybe someone had snuck in their dog or something????:confused3

But I wouldn't worry, you'll be very happy. (I do the same thing, read threads about a bad view, or poor service, etc. and get myself in a panic that it will happen to us....all for nothing).

We are staying for our first time in two DVC resorts in June (BWV & SSR).
What should we expect as far as quality (maintenance/looks) of the rooms?
I guess I was anticipating them to look like any nice hotel room at Disney
(with a size difference, of course). However, so many posts comment on numerous items in the rooms that are broken or gouged or cracked or in bad shape somehow.
Are these reports primarily because as DVC members who have ownership, we are sure to scrutinize the room carefully to be sure our rooms are properly maintained? Or are the rooms in less than normal quality shape? I will admit, it makes me a little nervous. We are hoping/expecting to walk in and see a beautiful room that reinforces that we made the right decision to purchase DVC. Have I just read the wrong reports?

Thanks -

Ellen

Hey Ellen,
I wouldn't worry much about it. Since joining we've done OKW (2X), BCV's (2x) and the VWL. I think the worst issue I had was the small back burner on the stove did not work. No biggie, I reported it on check out, only so they could have it fixed. My rooms have always been clean and in great shape and I've always smiled upon entering :love:
SSR is pretty new so don't think you'll have major issues.

We own at BWV and SSR and stayed at both within the last year. SSR is brand new, so you'll see a few less dents and scratches , but I have nothing to complain about with either. I'd stay at BWV anytime for the location - wish I was there now!

Each DVC room I've stayed in has been in worse shape than any deluxe hotel room I've been in at Disney. Its little things - cracked bathroom tiles, broken hinges or drawers, mold in the shower, fridges with a stale smell, ripped couch cushions (but only when you pull the couch apart to make the sofabed).

Now, I'm still content because I think I'm getting a great deal over the deluxe resort, and I've never seen anything that really impacted my stay (a drawer I don't use that's off its rails - a cracked tile in the bathroom - don't care) - but they aren't as nice, IMHO. (Plenty of DVCers think they are nicer).

I think its important to realize that these rooms are getting cleaned once a week. In the "bedroom" units people are cooking and eating fairly regularly in the room. The hideabed gets pulled apart for someone to sleep on. The furniture gets moved around - that is going to add to wear and tear.

Each DVC room I've stayed in has been in worse shape than any deluxe hotel room I've been in at Disney. Its little things - cracked bathroom tiles, broken hinges or drawers, mold in the shower, fridges with a stale smell, ripped couch cushions (but only when you pull the couch apart to make the sofabed).
crisi, apparently you haven't heard -- the cushions on those new sofa beds at BWV are non-removable. If you didn't insist on trying to "pull the couch apart", maybe we wouldn't have so many ripped couch cushions! :lmao: (Sorry -- I couldn't resist. When I read your post I just had this image in my mind of someone wrestling with the new sofabed until they finally managed to remove those fixed cushions by ripping them right off the couch.)

crisi, apparently you haven't heard -- the cushions on those new sofa beds at BWV are non-removable. If you didn't insist on trying to "pull the couch apart", maybe we wouldn't have so many ripped couch cushions! :lmao: (Sorry -- I couldn't resist. When I read your post I just had this image in my mind of someone wrestling with the new sofabed until they finally managed to remove those fixed cushions by ripping them right off the couch.)

I'm not sure if that will increase or decrease the number of ripped couch cushions.

At a Hyatt, I once "broke" the curtains trying to shut drapes that were merely hung for show.

We've only stayed at 2 so far. The 1st was BCV before we bought. I had read horror stories about BCV at the time and was worried that everything would be awful (that was my 1 chance to sell DH on DVC). Everything was great, no complaints and we bought SSR about a year later. We have stayed @ BWV the past 2 years and have had no problems. We did have a shower with some mildew in it (not bad) but that has been the worst so far.

If you have a problem, report it. I'm sure they would like to know if housekeeping or maintenance is not doing their job.

Have a great trip.

We are hoping/expecting to walk in and see a beautiful room that reinforces that we made the right decision to purchase DVC. Have I just read the wrong reports?

Thanks -

Ellen

Ellen, in all likelihood, you will find exactly what you are hoping/expecting to see. But the folks who report problems aren't making it up, sometimes rooms do have issues. Having stayed at DVC resorts many times, I've had plenty of good rooms, a number of so-so rooms and a few pretty bad ones. If things aren't to your liking when you check in, simply call the staff, who in most instances, will be more than happy to remedy the situation.

Have a great trip!

Thank you for your honest replies. . .I can always count on these boards.
Overall your responses made me feel better. Maybe I have too high of expectations since I have never been involved in a timeshare before.

Thanks again -

Ellen

PS - If you have a "pretty bad" room, do you call housekeeping/maintenance and they fix it? Do they ever move your room due to problems or are you stuck with it?

Maybe I have too high of expectations since I have never been involved in a timeshare before.

Don't lower your expectation.
The DVC rooms should be maintained at the same level as any other hotel room. My personal rule of thumb - If you get a room that you won't accept at any hotel then you shouldn't accept it at DVC. I suggest heading down to the front desk if you want a new room assignment vs calling the front desk.

For a simply change of the bulbs or batteries for the tv remote then a simple call will do. However if there are major housekeeping issue, I suggest going back to the front desk and requesting a new room.

The EPCOT Area Resorts are going to have more wear and tear because of their high usage. Worst case scenario, you can always request the front desk to move you to SSR for the rest of your stay.

I hope you have a wonderful first DVC stay.

PS - If you have a "pretty bad" room, do you call housekeeping/maintenance and they fix it? Do they ever move your room due to problems or are you stuck with it?

Yes, definitely call! Generally, they are quite good at taking care of any problems. If there are rooms available, sometimes you're given the option to relocate for room problems (not for view issues or such silly things as that), but normally most housekeeping/maintenance issues can be resolved without moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter