What to pack?

JessNewbs

Mouseketeer
hey everyone! I am almost up to a uni break which will mean time to start packing/organising stuff for our May trip. I understand it will be quite warm that time of the year but am wondering if we should pack jumpers etc. as well? We will be visiting L.A., NOLA, NYC, Orlando and Hawaii. Also if anybody has any extra packing tips/important items I should pack please help as this is our first holiday out of the country!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

One of the regulars will post with some useful info I am sure. There was a packing discussion recently as a random part of another thread but can't remember where-you could try a search for it. I would take a lighter weight hoody or polo fleece sweat in case you get some rainy weather and the temp drops even though I would imagine its hot most of your places in May. Biggest tip-don't take too much. Hot climates you don't need a lot of gear, plan to wash frequently (even if its hand washing undies and tops along the way-take an all purpose wash with you-you can buy at camping stores). You have to lug your case everywhere and you will buy LOTS of stuff while away.

Don't forget to carefully check your on-board gear and stick with the 100ml each item + they all fit within a plastic see-through bag (think Glad sandwich size bag) as if you haven't done this before its easy to get caught out. This includes things like gels (e.g. lip moisturiser-I have had gel medical capsules queried and required to be put in the see-through bag once, also "wet ones" antibiotic hand wipes).

We always carry a few plastic bags to put damp clothes in (either caught in the rain or bikinis etc from that last swim in the pool) but if you are a shopper you will be awash with bags anyway! Don't forget the adaptor for the US powerpoints.

You are planning a great trip!

Not sure if it's very helpful, but I always take some pegs with me. They are really handy to peg hotel room curtains together so they don't gape open and let the bright light in early in the morning.

Jess, much of what you need like pegs, pop up hampers for dirty washing (if you're staying put in one spot for a while), clothes powder etc can be found in 99c or Dollar stores (yes, everything is that price) and then left behind before you leave or donated to an op shop. I second the pegs plus also ziplock bags for wet or damp or dirty things, plus the snack bag size makes an excellent waterproof cover for your phone and cover. I also grab some cheap novels from op shops before I go to read and leave them for someone else. Most of all, take a sense of humour and adventure :)

Thanks so much guys, I was thinking clothes wise when I posted the thread bit am very thankful as I hadn't even thought about how I am going to wash our clothes! So if I check luggage I don't have to put my toiletries in 100ml containers and see through bags? Just carry on?

JessNewbs said:
Thanks so much guys, I was thinking clothes wise when I posted the thread bit am very thankful as I hadn't even thought about how I am going to wash our clothes! So if I check luggage I don't have to put my toiletries in 100ml containers and see through bags? Just carry on?

No you don't for checked but do remember to put them in plastic bags in case of leaks. I don't take full sized bottles with me either, I take some hotel ones that we've collected (DH works away and brings home the toiletries for me) for the first couple of nights and I buy full sized there. When we flew to America I had travel deodorant (roll on), moisturiser sample sachets, tooth brushes and small tooth paste, dental floss and that's about it as carry on.

You'll need something warm for the mornings and evenings, especially in NYC.

Take a powerboard so you only need one or two powerpoint converters - some of the newer ones comes with USB chargers too, which is really handy.

I try and remember to take a pillow case to use as my dirty clothes bag.

*sigh* I want to be at the packing stage again... :rolleyes:

Thanks Bec, justvwondering when you Santo get some warm clothes for NYC how cold do you think it would actually get in May?

I try and remember to take a pillow case to use as my dirty clothes

I've never thought of this and ended up lugging plastic bags with stretched handles to laundries, next time I'll be taking a pillow case!

When I was there in May it was cold enough for me to take a jumper/jacket out with me every day. I'd wear it of a morning before it warmed up, and then as the sun went down.

Having said that I do feel the cold pretty bad, so a light cardie would probably be plenty for most people.

I always take a couple of thin metal coat hangers when I go away, it allows me to hang my T shirts tops etc in the shower (or anywhere else i can find) once I wash them, I don't like using dryers for everything, as I'm worried that my clothes will shrink.
I throw them away at the end of the holiday.
Have fun packing and planning:)

Take a powerboard so you only need one or two powerpoint converters - some of the newer ones comes with USB chargers too, which is really handy.

Such a good idea! Is it ok if it's a "cheapie" powerboard with simple overload protection or should it be a "you-beaut" one with surge protection?

Another question- I have the new ghd air hair dryer (which I :love:), but is there any point buying a voltage transformer so I can take it with me to the USA (it is a 240v hair dryer, not 110v)? I think using the transformer means it'll operate on the lower (and slower :-( ) speed/power (110v), so won't work as I would like anyway? If so, I can take my travel hair dryer instead (which is what I have done previously) but now I am thinking I should just use the hair dryers provided by the hotel, to save space for shopping ;) I know, first world problems, right?!

This is a great question and one every one struggles with when it comes time to start packing. What clothes to take? I better take this just in case and better take that as we might go there. I always end up over packing and bring back things we never looked like wearing.

DW loves shopping so next trip I am definitely packing only the essentials and DW can go shop to her hearts content and buy anything else we might need.

Best item is a good pair of walking shoes. For me a pair of worn in runners and anklet socks. Not fashionable but my feet are comfortable and no blisters.

Good tips. I also pack a few giant bulldog clips and masking tape. It helps when pegs can't do the job with pesky curtains etc and funny how often you end up needing something adjusted here and there.

Just a normal powerboard is fine, no need for surge protection.

I remember DW having issues with GHD for straigtening and I think she bought a cheapie straightener in the US for that very reason. For the $20 odd dollars it was well worth not having to hear all the complaining !

We took soooo much stuff and i thought we were packing light :(

In anaheim and nyc and orlando in nov we were fine with just a light weight cardi or hoodie plus regular tshirt and jeans/pants/yoga pants. I would take 1 cardi in black or grey and 1 hoodie in a black or grey. You can get a lot of wear out of mix and match clothes like that..

In may, that should be fine :)

Re washing most hotels will have laundry facilities and/or laundromat style coin operated facilities. They provide powder and softener etc and it will only cost a few dollars to do a load :) i found this easier than having to remember laundry detergent in my bag :)

Re the hair dryer thing... I used the hotel's drier and i had no issues. If you need something super duper you could always buy from walmart or walgreens when yimou get there. Take the least amount with you as possible. Also the weather there is different. My hair is normally quite curly and unruly but in the us it was straight and perfect to style :)

I recommend using packing cubes, take adaptors, take a notebook and pen, take a few ziploc bags for odds and ends and put all toiletries in plastic bags inside your toiletries otherwise you may end up with exploding shampoo which is messy!!!

Great advice! I don't need a straightener as my hair is dead straight normally. I am really concerned about taking too much clothing. I thought it would be pretty hot in may, I might just take one cardi each for the kids and I.

My GHD straightener is a multi-voltage one, so I can comfortably take that (phew! My hair is naturally very curly, and I of course hate it!)

I think I will just use hotel hair dryers this time and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I will buy something better from the US (after all, I go enough times, I am sure to get my money's worth out of it!)

I am a serial overpacker, so really need to reign myself in. Going at that time of year though, I just take the one cardi with me (I usually need that anyway to get to Melbourne airport as it is cold when we leave Aus!). Most stuff I will buy there, though I don't seem to buy as much for myself - more for DH and DS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter