What type of craft paint...

believe

DIS Veteran
I posted on the community board, but thought maybe someone here would know...

I am ordering crafts for the teachers participating in our Vacation Bible School. One teacher has order wooden wind chimes, but the paint does not come with the kits. It also does not say what type of craft paint to use....any idea?

edited to add that I think he wants something that will hold up a bit for outdoor use.

Thanks

For outdoor use I'd get an exterior grade, latex trim paint. I've used this for years on wooden projects and it has held up well.

You can do three things:
  1. get the latex paint (which will not wash off of clothes when it dries)
  2. let them paint with tempra paint and then spray them with an acrylic matte or glossy finish. You can get this at any craft or home improvement store.
  3. get a water-based varnish that you can paint on after the tempra has dried.
Another tip: to make tempra paint washable (as in the paint will wash off clothing), squirt some liquid dish soap into each bottle & mix it up. It will make any non-washable tempra washable, and the parent's will thank you!

the Folk Art acrylic craft paint should suit your needs fine. Our mailbox was painted with it and it's been out for years (7, I think) and the lighter colors have slightly faded, but the deeper ones still look great.

You can find them at most craft stores like Michaels or even Walmart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter