What WDW Costs Am I Missing?

WaltsMartini

Mouseketeer
Hi all - starting the budget now for our family trip in 2019! I have been many times with family and once with DH; this is the first trip for DS, who will be 4.

As I put together the budget, I’m considering the below costs. What costs/ categories am I forgetting, especially considering this will be my first trip with a little one?

• Airfare (likely using points)
  • Baggage fees
  • Airport parking fees
  • Transfers (using ME, so no cost)
  • Lodging costs including tax
  • Gratuities for housekeeping
  • Amazon Prime order for snacks/ drinks
  • Food on travel days
  • Breakfast, lunch, dinner each day, including tips for any table service
  • Some random snacks
  • Costs for a night in the lounge for the grownups
  • Park tickets plus tax
  • Stroller rental in park if DS gets tired
  • Souvenirs
  • Costs built in for Uber/cab if we’re not in the mood to wait for the bus after a dinner reservation

Miscellaneous emergency items such as medicine, sunscreen if you forget it, first aid supplies, etc
I forgot sunscreen on my first trip to FL. Which is extra sad because I'm from CA and know how important it is! I had the distinct privilege of buying the world's most expensive sunscreen ever at my hotel. I've never forgotten my sunscreen again!

Amazon Prime order for snacks/ drinks

• Curious, are you simple using Prime for free shipping and Prime prices or are there specials for WDWers?
• Could there possibly be any special paid tours or shows someone in the group may want to experience? Memory maker?
• Even w/ any great, detailed list, I still suggest setting aside a small "miscellaneous" fund (~$200-300) for some financial padding and any unforeseen costs.

I forgot sunscreen on my first trip to FL. Which is extra sad because I'm from CA and know how important it is! I had the distinct privilege of buying the world's most expensive sunscreen ever at my hotel. I've never forgotten my sunscreen again!

Same!!!! I am a TX gal, well from TX, and now I live in CO where we are 20% closer to the sun (so they say...) and I know all about the importance of sunscreen yet we forgot it last trip. Check into resort super easy, get in room and put on swimsuits to head to the BC pool...uh oh, no sunscreen...send dh & kids ahead and I go to the BC marketplace. $15 for their least expensive sunscreen! It was totally worth it to not fry but oh my goodness, that is at least two times the cost! Yup, never again will I forget sunscreen!

I agree with building in a small amount for unforseeables...forgotten items like sunscreen, Motrin, ponchos (we got to buy those last trip cause we forgot those and a hurricane came through!) :)

Tip money for more than mousekeeping. We tip DME and Bell Services also. I think those are actually tipped positions whereas mousekeeping technically is not, though many do tip them.

I agree with building in a small amount for unforseeables...forgotten items like sunscreen, Motrin, ponchos (we got to buy those last trip cause we forgot those and a hurricane came through!) :)

Tip money for more than mousekeeping. We tip DME and Bell Services also. I think those are actually tipped positions whereas mousekeeping technically is not, though many do tip them.
ROFL... poncho group too here...

Same!!!! I am a TX gal, well from TX, and now I live in CO where we are 20% closer to the sun (so they say...) and I know all about the importance of sunscreen yet we forgot it last trip. Check into resort super easy, get in room and put on swimsuits to head to the BC pool...uh oh, no sunscreen...send dh & kids ahead and I go to the BC marketplace. $15 for their least expensive sunscreen! It was totally worth it to not fry but oh my goodness, that is at least two times the cost! Yup, never again will I forget sunscreen!
One time I took my baby to the zoo and forgot it. I was mortified. How could I do that? But I did. I had to buy it the gift shop. I'm sure it was twice the cost of anything I could have bought at the grocery store. Also I once forgot some "lady" supplies on a cruise. That was an expensive souvenir.

How old is your child? Depending on the age since you are traveling in the airport and using resort transportation I would just bring an umbrella stroller from home. Even if you buy a new cheap one it will be cheaper than renting. You will have it for the parks, going to transportation, and in the airport. It is easier to pick out in the crowd and if you decide you don't want to take it home you can just pass it along to another family when you leave.

Will you have to pay for parking at the airport or pay for a shuttle? Will you buy new/matching shirts/etc for the trip? We have to pay tolls when returning from the airport.

Photo Pass! Knew I forgot something - that’s a big one for us because we are terrible at taking pictures.

Good call on miscellaneous - i’ll pad my final budget number by $200.

Re: the stroller, he will have just turned 4. I’m hoping he won’t need one, but you’re right, may be cheaper to either bring our own umbrella stroller or order a cheapie one and have it delivered to the resort. I’m afraid if I do bring one we won’t use it, and if I don’t bring one we’ll regret it!

We were thinking of doing a trial park day at HersheyPark (near our house) to see how he does with crowds, heat, getting tired, etc - that may be the test to see if we need to bring a stroller or not.

Photo Pass! Knew I forgot something - that’s a big one for us because we are terrible at taking pictures.

Good call on miscellaneous - i’ll pad my final budget number by $200.

Re: the stroller, he will have just turned 4. I’m hoping he won’t need one, but you’re right, may be cheaper to either bring our own umbrella stroller or order a cheapie one and have it delivered to the resort. I’m afraid if I do bring one we won’t use it, and if I don’t bring one we’ll regret it!

We were thinking of doing a trial park day at HersheyPark (near our house) to see how he does with crowds, heat, getting tired, etc - that may be the test to see if we need to bring a stroller or not.
Oh I would definitely plan for a stroller.

Another vote for the stroller. Even if he doesn't ride in it all the time, you will appreciate having the stroller to hold your drinks, backpacks, etc. Get one with cupholders and big wheels! Pushing a little umbrella stroller through Animal Kingdom is a nightmare.

My 4 year old did fine walking around Cedar Point but Disney was a whole different story. She even napped in the stroller at Disney when she was 6. I would have a stroller just in case. If you don't use it the first day you can leave it in the hotel.

Tips for bellhops/baggage handlers.
If you're having an adult's lounge night, you might need to cover babysitting costs.
Do you intend to do laundry? Go to the arcade? Visit the waterparks (if so, add locker and towel rental)? Encourage a pressed penny addiction? Do mini-golf, hayrides, or special after-hours events? These are all extras.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter