What will push you offsite?

Nothing, probably.

We probably won't ever stay onsite at DLR because those hotels are all just too pricey for what you're getting. But WDW at least has different price points. We don't go to WDW that often, so when we go, we're not really doing it as a budget trip. If we're flying all the way to Florida, we're going to stay on property. If we can't afford it, then we'll just go to DLR instead.

The price did us in last year on our first trip as well. We stayed at the Wyndham offsite and just took uber to the hotels that had rail access or uber straight to the parks. It saved us a ton of money and we also had a kitchenette. Now we're planning our second trip and I just can't make it work budget-wise. Disappointing for our kids but the Wyndham and Hilton LBV are really wonderful and the pools are awesome.

I was one that had always said if we were going to stay offsite, we would stay home.

Well, when we were planning our last trip in 2018, we only considered staying onsite for about 5 minutes. It wasn't anything that Disney did that pushed us offsite, it was because we had always stayed in a value or moderate, and we just didn't have enough space anymore. Our kids were 17 and 15 at the time, and they will not share a bed and haven't been willing to for several years (both boys). We have done 5 trips in a moderate room with an air mattress, but that was cramped and one bathroom/privacy had become a problem. Then they announced the resort parking fee, which impacts us because we drive to WDW and obviously have our car. I looked into renting points, but the accommodations still weren't what we were looking for as we wanted separate sleeping areas/spaces, and we would have needed a 2-bedroom, and I didn't like non-refundable part. We rented a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom condo at Windsor Palms, we paid $950 for 9 nights including fees and we loved it. Driving to the parks wasn't an issue at all, as we had already stopped using the buses when staying onsite except for MK. I don't see us staying onsite again until both kids move out and it is just DH & me.

We've always wanted to stay at the Poly too and finally did last year. We were less than impressed. The location is awesome, but for the price it just wasn't worth it.

Actually guys, I’d be relieved if this happens in a way. For one, we did a week at Bay Lake Tower last year and despite the family wanting the Polynesian for so long we are torn now that we had a great experience at Bay Lake. Also, as I said I’m kind of feeling done with Disney vacations overall for a while. We have only 2 nights at Polynesian tacked on to end of a Legoland trip, basically to get it out of our system and say we finally did it! If it’s great, awesome! If it’s not worth it, we’ve crossed it off the list.

Resort fees would be my breaking point. They are a pure money grab because they are mandatory, not optional. I would not stay off property, because I live local. If I am going to have to drive to an off site resort I might as well drive home. I don’t like the hassle of dealing with traffic after a long park day ( my last day trip to Epcot, it took more than 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot and most of that was just sitting in one spot, and it was two hours before close so not a post fireworks thing). When they decide resort fees are the next step, I will no longer be going to Disney. That will be a very sad day.

Everyone has their own line in the sand. I was able to work around parking fees by having a friend drop me off/pick me up, and I can avoid the upcharge events, although I feel they are devaluing their regular admission a lot with them. But resort fees would be the deal breaker for me.

I tried 2 nights last year at Hilton Bonnet Creek. Although the Hilton was nice felt like I wasnt at Disney. Didnt care for it and will always stay onsite from now on. One and done for me.

The transportation alone is worth it. Not a fan of Uber and literally had to use it to airport and parks. Plus dont get to hear STACY doing MUST DO DISNEY when offsite.

Last time I went was three years ago. I used to stay on property and We went yearly. Looking at package prices now makes me cringe. Because of all of the price hikes we have decided just not to go.
next time we go we are staying offsite and waiting until our grandchildren are a bit older. I found a hotel that basically is like an apartment. I can get a two or three bedroom with full kitchen several bathrooms laundry living room etc. It will cost is $100 a night cheaper than a room at pop. Also being that we will be bringing our daughter and two grandchildren will save even more money as we won't have to book the second room.
We won't need the dining plan as my husband eats one meal a day and a few snacks. I had weight loss surgery and really can't eat that much. My daughter eats way less as well. Most times when I eat out I can't get thru a kids meal. The park ticket prices are insane as well. I might limit the number of days at Disney and go to universal and other parks instead. The tickets at universal are much cheeper. Basically I feel like Disney is making a vacation unaffordable for families. I just can't swing the kind of.money they are asking for anymore.

I have always been an onsite person, I love the perks and the convenience, especially when I can walk to a park. However with all the cuts to perks I’m debating becoming an offsite person!

For my August trip I would save almost $1500 if I move offsite... I’m really debating it...

Having two kids, and one still in a car seat it’s a hard sell, but I’m still thinking about it.

If you're an onsite person will something push you to move offsite? If so what?
Honestly, Nothing. If I were not able to afford the vacation I wanted, I’d prefer not to go until I could. Blessed to have not been in that situation.
Enjoy ...wherever you stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter