What will soon be out of existence

Yellow Pages
Phone books. They might already be actually - I haven't seen a new one for a while. The last Yellow Pages I got was in 2011 and I'm using it for a footrest under my desk. :p

I wish they'd just die already! I just found a very soggy 2018 book under the melting snow in my front yard... but no loss, because for some reason they delivered one to each porch of my corner house, so I still have a dry one to throw out too.

Newspapers. The Tampa Tribune has already shut down here. My friends husband was with them since high school until they shut down.

I don't think they'll ever die. I think the business model is changing but there's still a demand for print and still big questions about how to effectively monetize digital. But we'd be a sadder, dumber country if they ever go away entirely so I'd like to believe it won't come to that.

DVD/Movie theatre red boxes. I think everything will go to streaming

I agree with this one, though the unreliability and expense of rural internet access might delay the inevitable for a while. The problem is that the places where DVDs still have a market are the least profitable markets to be in - not enough people in one place - so while they linger on it'll probably be via Amazon, Netflix's legacy DVD service, or other through-the-mail options.

Brick and mortar grocery stores. Most are already operating on razor thin margins. As the trend of home grocery delivery continues to grow, I can see the larger chains moving to smaller buildings and offering only fresh, perishable goods at extremely high prices.

Also private practice doctors offices. The appeal of the walk-in medical center is a growing trend in my area of the country. Thier extended hours along with no longer needing an appointment seems to work well with our ever-growing craving for “instant gratification”. They are popping up almost as frequently as pharmacies are around here with each new location occupying more square footage than the last.

Perhaps, if the trend continues, someday the walk-in medical centers will occupy the large buildings that were formerly grocery stores.

Last edited:
Who gets mail anymore?
Amazon and all the online retailers would die without the Post Office. FedEx and UPS too because they use the USPS to deliver packages to remote areas where they don't want to go. They are giving USPS so much additional business they now have people out doing deliveries on Sunday.
Amazon here has been using UBER drivers to deliver packages too, but only for packages that are coming from our local Amazon warehouse.

Amazon and all the online retailers would die without the Post Office. FedEx and UPS too because they use the USPS to deliver packages to remote areas where they don't want to go. They are giving USPS so much additional business they now have people out doing deliveries on Sunday.
Amazon here has been using UBER drivers to deliver packages too, but only for packages that are coming from our local Amazon warehouse.
Most of stuff from Amazon comes from Fed Ex. The local post office is considering closing on Saturday to save money

Most of stuff from Amazon comes from Fed Ex. The local post office is considering closing on Saturday to save money
I had three USPS trucks on my street yesterday making deliveries.

That's interesting. I wonder if what carrier they use is regional because I have never had anything come Fed Ex from Amazon. Mine all come USPS or UPS.
Mine too. I get Amazon packages several times a week. I got one on Sunday that was USPS.

We still get mail almost every day. I have a group of friends who still send greeting cards.

We got a yellow pages book in the mail on Saturday.

I think magazines will soon be a thing of the past. None of my kids get any. Dh and I still get several each month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter