What will soon be out of existence

I would think all those "save the date" wedding announcements would keep the post office in business.

I find them a complete waste, and when the time comes will try to persuade my kids not to go thru the added expense.

Just seems with all the social media, why not send something out that way instead of thru the mail?
But then my dd thought it would be a good idea, to respond to the wedding by text. She did give that option and people actually texted back.

Skiing/skating in NJ - the winters used to be much colder but in the last 30 years the temperatures have risen just high enough where it's a rarity to skate on a lake anymore in winter and the lone ski resort left in the state is struggling every year to have a season.

DH and I were just talking about this the other day. We grew up in Bergen County in the 50’s/60s and remember going ice skating quite frequently as kids and the skiers were able to ski in NJ at Campgaw.

But then my dd thought it would be a good idea, to respond to the wedding by text. She did give that option and people actually texted back.
eww that's a great idea, I'm going to keep that idea under my hat! of course I'd still include the post card to send back,but I bet if you added the texting option you'd get a lot more replies. A lot of people are so rude and just don't take the time to respond! I remember when I got married I had 50 people who didn't respond and my mom wouldn't let me call them up because that wouldn't be proper, so I had to pay for them just as if they would come. It ended up I paid for 20 people who didn't show up, there was probably more of the 50 who didn't come but I had people who brought people who weren't even invited:eek: so it evened out somewhat.

you are all making me feel like i'm in the land that time forgot-

we still get Monday-Saturday usps mail (and fed ex and ups multiple times a day in our neighborhood despite being very rural)

we still have a landline (and when weather is bad so cell signals are spotty it's us the neighbors come asking to call in power outages, emergencies)

we still get 2 or 3 phonebooks per year (all mostly for businesses)

we still have newspapers-university's is weekly, small town near us weekly (2-one is a freebie that comes w/grocery ads), big city near us-daily

movie theatres are booming-3 did major remodels in the last couple of years w/the fancy seats and such, red box and such are pretty plentiful

indoor malls seem to be having a resurgence-several restaurants (chains) that were previously standalone or in strip malls.

the thing i'm seeing becoming non existent is 'customer service/support' staff that actually knows what they are servicing/supporting. I am entirely capable of reading a service manual or researching something on a company or government agency's website so when I call or live chat I would like someone capable of doing more than just reading me cut and paste paragraphs that I've already read:mad::mad:

You didn't get any birthday cards, holiday cards, invitations to weddings or other events? No paper bills at all (our town taxes and water bill are only via paper still)? No magazines, college newsletters? We still get all of those via mail.

birthday cards - kids get couple. But nope. Usually my friends text or email me birthday greetings. Cards are a waste of money.
holiday cards - less each year. Most people post on FB
weddings - got one evite for niece's wedding and one mailed from other relative last year. Eventually evite will be norm.
no paper bills left except water - doubt that will last long
magazines - nope. waste of money. Never read them.
college newsletters - that's a thing? Never heard of it.

Inside Malls. It's not that new shopping centers aren't opening. It's that none of them are inside malls. Less air conditioning, less upkeep, etc. Ours has everything the inside mall that closed nearby had. It's just that none of it is inside. Meanwhile the malls that are left in aging areas are going to age out.

Maldives. A very low lying set of Islands off the coast of India. Seal level rise will get em.

The exploding seal population will hasten the submerging of the already precarious Maldives.

stock-photo-cape-cross-seal-reserve-in-the-south-atlantic-in-the-skeleton-coast-namib-desert-western-namibia-659148385.jpg

Cheques are almost non existent in Canada.
They are hanging on because people like what is familiar.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-26/why-can-t-americans-give-up-paper-checks

According to the article Canada uses about half as many checks per capita as the US. The US has reached the check usage level Canada reached in 2000. It looks like France will be the world leader in checks per capita soon, if not already. If you extrapolate out the data to 2018 following the same trend the US should have dipped below France.

Most of stuff from Amazon comes from Fed Ex. The local post office is considering closing on Saturday to save money

It must be different for package delivery in different areas. Our amazon usually comes by the USPS truck which does delivery packages 7 days a week in our area. We got a package from them on Saturday and 2 on Sunday this week.

As far as things that I think will close - Applebees restaurants and redbox will be my guesses. And I think the indoor part of the Post Office where they have people to help you will have a reduction in hours. They've added one of those machines for mailing boxes and getting stamps to the area where the Post Office Boxes are.

you are all making me feel like i'm in the land that time forgot-

we still get Monday-Saturday usps mail (and fed ex and ups multiple times a day in our neighborhood despite being very rural)

we still have a landline (and when weather is bad so cell signals are spotty it's us the neighbors come asking to call in power outages, emergencies)

we still get 2 or 3 phonebooks per year (all mostly for businesses)

we still have newspapers-university's is weekly, small town near us weekly (2-one is a freebie that comes w/grocery ads), big city near us-daily

movie theatres are booming-3 did major remodels in the last couple of years w/the fancy seats and such, red box and such are pretty plentiful

indoor malls seem to be having a resurgence-several restaurants (chains) that were previously standalone or in strip malls.

the thing i'm seeing becoming non existent is 'customer service/support' staff that actually knows what they are servicing/supporting. I am entirely capable of reading a service manual or researching something on a company or government agency's website so when I call or live chat I would like someone capable of doing more than just reading me cut and paste paragraphs that I've already read:mad::mad:

Well time must have forgotten us too!

Mail is delivered everyday and people here still mail invites, cards and sometimes even letters! We get several of our packages through the mail.

A lot of people still have land lines. I have thought of getting one again. Just like the idea of knowing I have another way for the kids to reach us. And we still get phone books too. Keep one in the car just in case.

We have two huge theaters and they do very well. One just completely redecorated with the big reclining chairs and are now serving beer and wine. But they are borh packed on the weekends.

Our mall did seem like it was going down fast but now I think it may have been the individual stores. Every space that was empty is now filled with better stores and its booming again.

Landlines.

Saw some people said checks... funny... I just re-ordered checks this morning, because my daughter's school still collects field trip funds this way, and there is the occasional donation that we still make by check. Last time I ordered checks?? 2010!!

Up here our post offices are mostly a counter in the back of a drug store. There is no actual post office building to go in to except the main terminal which is out by the airport. Now small towns still have post offices buildings where they have their mailboxes.

Canada hasn't had delivery on Saturday in recent years - at least 50. Maybe they did prior to that.

We haven't had phone book delivery in several years.

As for cheques for school stuff - tell them to move to a software called Permission Click. Sign permission form and pay the fee online.

Other thing that will disappear in the next decade will be cash. I rarely use it anymore.

As for cheques for school stuff - tell them to move to a software called Permission Click. Sign permission form and pay the fee online.
If only there was any prayer of getting our public school system to do ANYTHING here...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!