What will soon be out of existence

As for cheques for school stuff - tell them to move to a software called Permission Click. Sign permission form and pay the fee online.

Our school has that but we have to pay a fee everytime we pay on line. No thanks, I'll send a check:rolleyes:

Sears and K-Mart. I am shocked they are still in business.
Sears Canada closed their last door after Christmas and I miss them already. There is nothing left in Canada for department store chains except WalMart (fine, but not always quite the quality I'm looking for) and The Bay (practically always more expensive than I want to pay). Some cities (like the one I live in) have higher-end places like Holt Renfrew, Nordstrom and I notice a Saks Fifth Avenue about to open. Great - another expensive store for me to not shop at. :sad2:

Sears and K-Mart. I am shocked they are still in business.

They haven't quite sucked them dry yet.

Sears Canada closed their last door after Christmas and I miss them already. There is nothing left in Canada for department store chains except WalMart (fine, but not always quite the quality I'm looking for) and The Bay (practically always more expensive than I want to pay). Some cities (like the one I live in) have higher-end places like Holt Renfrew, Nordstrom and I notice a Saks Fifth Avenue about to open. Great - another expensive store for me to not shop at. :sad2:

I remember in Nordstrom vowing to get a sweater even though it was $80. Then I saw it cost $800 bucks. I back stepped to the rack making sure nobody saw me and hung it back up. I left....... Wiser.

As for cheques for school stuff - tell them to move to a software called Permission Click. Sign permission form and pay the fee online.

Our school has a system that can accept online payments... but there is a charge to offset the processing fees. IIRC, it is 3% with a $1 minimum. I'm not paying a $1 fee for my kid's $5 field trip, and I'm *certainly* not paying 3% on her tuition, so I don't see the online system replacing checks or cash for those things any time soon.

CDs
The Postal System
DVD/Movie theatre red boxes. I think everything will go to streaming

I remember when I was younger, my mother and her sister used to talk about how the post office used to deliver twice a day, a morning and afternoon run. Was that something that was common everywhere, or maybe just in higher population areas? Not sure when it ended. As a kid I didn’t really pay attention to mail deliveries so it may have been happening in my lifetime and I just never knew it.

Last edited:
I remember when I was younger, my mother and her sister used to talk about how the post office used to deliver twice a day, a morning and afternoon run. Was that something that was common everywhere, or maybe just in higher population areas? Not sure when it ended. As a kid I didn’t really pay attention to mail deliveries so it may have been happening in my lifetime and I just never knew it.

I was born in 1961 and lived in a fairly small (then) part of northern California- I remember the mail man coming in the morning and the afternoon until I was in maybe 3rd or 4th grade, I also remember morning and afternoon editions of the newspaper (and when the local paper upped the cost my dad opting for just the evening edition b/c he didn't have time to read the morning before he left for work anyway). when I was REALY young I remember the 'milk man' (but not in glass bottles).

anyone remember those big mobile photo trucks that would come once or twice a year to neighborhoods and parents could have photos taken (kind of like jc penny or olan mills on wheels)?

That's interesting. I wonder if what carrier they use is regional because I have never had anything come Fed Ex from Amazon. Mine all come USPS or UPS.

My friend husband and son deliver packages for Amazon but they work for a BRITISH company here in the Tampa area. I would have to ask her for the exact company name. He worked for UPS then changed to this company (after being laid off from the newspaper when it closed.)

We still get a phone book dropped on our porch, they go straight to the recycle bin. Selling ad space in the Yellow Pages used to be a huge cash cow, I wonder if they had any idea of the sea change that was coming to their industry until it was too late.

A few years ago when I was active duty one of the senior ranking guys came in my office boasting he just taught one of the lower ranking 19 year old female how to use the phone book. She had no clue how to look up information inside it.

I went to Barnes and Nobles two days ago and went to find the machine to put in the book title and they are all GONE. I asked the young man working there and he said they have to look it up for us and the machines are not coming back. I looked at DH and said “maybe they will come out with an app for that.” LOL. I have heard rumors off and in over the years that BN is going out of business. I considered their version of the ebook reader NOOK but was told if they did shut down it would be useless to have.

I was born in 1961 and lived in a fairly small (then) part of northern California- I remember the mail man coming in the morning and the afternoon until I was in maybe 3rd or 4th grade, I also remember morning and afternoon editions of the newspaper (and when the local paper upped the cost my dad opting for just the evening edition b/c he didn't have time to read the morning before he left for work anyway). when I was REALY young I remember the 'milk man' (but not in glass bottles).

anyone remember those big mobile photo trucks that would come once or twice a year to neighborhoods and parents could have photos taken (kind of like jc penny or olan mills on wheels)?
Yes, our local paper had a morning and after noon, and it went to once a day. They also eliminated Saturday's.
We always had a milk man, and I think my parents still have their steal box the milk man pit the milk in. I remember my sister got married in 1978 and I thought it was so cool that she bought gallon milk jugs at the grocery store. We always had the half gallon cardboard milk containers. I slightly remember the glass and washing them and recycling the glass jars. The milk man took them back.

Yes, our local paper had a morning and after noon, and it went to once a day. They also eliminated Saturday's. We always had a milk man, and I think my parents still have their steal box the milk man pit the milk in.
I used to have a paper route when I was in middle school...didn't mind it except on holidays (when you wanted to sleep in and couldn't) and wet weather. That was my first "job" making money. I also remember the insulated metal milk box and the order form my mother filled out each week. I wonder what ever happened to that box...would be a nice addition around the house.

I remember twice daily mail delivery when I was very young, maybe up until the later 1960's. Same for the milkman. We also had a guy who delivered bread. Produce hucksters came around with their trucks of fruits/vegetables from late spring to early fall. One huckster nicknamed "Jimmy Bananas" had a pushcart instead of a truck.

I'm a fossil who still uses the print yellow pages when I'm searching for a business need.

With landlines largely already a thing of the past, am I the only one who wishes there was some sort of “phone book” or 4-1-1 service for cell numbers?

Saw some people said checks... funny... I just re-ordered checks this morning, because my daughter's school still collects field trip funds this way, and there is the occasional donation that we still make by check. Last time I ordered checks?? 2010!!

Our school is all cash or checks for fees. So I still write quiet a few a year, with 4 kids at two schools. 4 lunch accounts, 4 technology fees, 1 orchestra fee, 3 art fees, etc. Then there's scouts, and fundraisers for both scouts and school. I ordered checks this past fall for the first time in a few years.

The only one that I will not write checks for any longer is for school photos as they waited 2 months to cash the checks. <grrrrr>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!