What would a reasonable compensation be for a room issue?

Canadian Girl

DIS Veteran
We are currently staying at AKL in a standard studio, we being an adult daughter who is co-owner of the DVC contract and my youngest daughter. Within minutes of checking in to our room we realized there was a big issue with a bees nest off the balcony. As a result, we could not use our balcony. We were told it would be taken care of each day but after five days were informed it was a bigger issue than they thought and the room was being taken out for two weeks while they dealt with this. We have been moved finally and they did comp a bit of our bill and put back one nights points, but are leaving in two days. Is one night the usual? Should we ask for more? We were offered a lower view room that was not comparable and turned it down and were not offered anything else, possibly because they were all booked. We are Canadian and with the dollar difference, won’t be back for a couple of years most likely. It did really put a damper on the trip as we could not go out and enjoy our view at all for most of our trip and could not open the door for fresh air.

How many days did you spend without use of your balcony? Five. I'd politely ask for more. All you can do is ask. But I don't think the points for one night is acceptable compensation. I'm a balcony fan, even without a view.

Expecting the points for the whole trip isn't realistic but I think more than 1 is appropriate.

Regardless, you sound like you've made the best of an unfortunate situation and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

Being in a standard room you should not have had any expectations of a view. They offered another room you turned down. So you chose the lack of use of the balcony from my point of view. Getting a nights points seems fair to me.

We turned it down as we had a great view and were told each day it would be taken care of so expected would be gone. Our room was great. They underestimated the extent of the issue which ended up going on five days before they realized they needed up to a couple of weeks. Disney was actually great and did not actually expect us to take the other room as they were trying to solve the problem first. I am not complaining at all about how we were treated. Just asking what was a reasonable compensation. We did not ask for anything. They offered us the compensation.

How many days did you spend without use of your balcony? Five. I'd politely ask for more. All you can do is ask. But I don't think the points for one night is acceptable compensation. I'm a balcony fan, even without a view.

Expecting the points for the whole trip isn't realistic but I think more than 1 is appropriate.

Regardless, you sound like you've made the best of an unfortunate situation and I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.
Five days.

We are currently staying at AKL in a standard studio, we being an adult daughter who is co-owner of the DVC contract and my youngest daughter. Within minutes of checking in to our room we realized there was a big issue with a bees nest off the balcony. As a result, we could not use our balcony. We were told it would be taken care of each day but after five days were informed it was a bigger issue than they thought and the room was being taken out for two weeks while they dealt with this. We have been moved finally and they did comp a bit of our bill and put back one nights points, but are leaving in two days. Is one night the usual? Should we ask for more? We were offered a lower view room that was not comparable and turned it down and were not offered anything else, possibly because they were all booked. We are Canadian and with the dollar difference, won’t be back for a couple of years most likely. It did really put a damper on the trip as we could not go out and enjoy our view at all for most of our trip and could not open the door for fresh air.
I'm assuming one nights points and $200, if so, this would be pretty standard. It's also fair to both sides IMO. I don't think expecting more is reasonable.

We had no expectations. Honestly, never even thought about compensation until they brought it up. We were just hoping to having access to the balcony each day which due to unforeseen circumstances, was not able to happen.

I would've never thought of bees being a problem there - not the kind of animal view one would hope for. But I guess that's better than the poor family at BC that got bed bugs! Your compensation seems fair to me.

I understand that you had booked a standard view and was offered a lower view room I assume that’s a value or similar(if on the hotel side)

You should have gotten the points difference between the standard and value back for each night and on top you should have gotten a compensation. I don’t know how much that’s usually is.

Studio, view or not I am up early 6 am and sit on the balcony with coffee every morning while my wife sleeps longer. I would be very upset if I could not go out while she slept.
We had a bee issue at AKV jambo GV a couple years ago with bees on the MB balcony. Not a big problem because we had 2 more large balconies to sit on. Hope they took care of that one.

AKL has bees, this has been reported before. Did you speak to the General Manager, there is no standard for compensation. You can send an email to DVC member satisfaction to see what they say.

:earsboy: Bill

I think it depends on what you mean by being offered a lower view. In a standard room you are not guaranteed any view, so if the room you were offered was also designated a standard room, I don’t think you would be entitled to more as they offered you a room in the same category, and you chose to decline. Even if the room view was not as good, you could have ended up in any standard room to begin with. If they only offered you a “value” studio, or a room that would have cost less points to begin with, I think I would also ask for a difference in daily points fee.

Either way, i’m Sorry that happened, it can be super disappointing when things like that don’t go right. :(

I am sorry this happened to you, but I think the compensation was reasonable. I am a huge balcony fan, especially at my home resort of AKV, I would have been disappointed to not have use of my balcony, but I would have just enjoyed the public viewing areas and taken the offered compensation.

I would be thankful for what they gave you. Yeah it sucks.....but if it was a hard riving rain each day and you couldn't use your balcony...would you expect compensation for that?

If it was truly a bigger issue for the happiness of your vacation, you should have made more noise at the time.

The room has now been taken out of commission for two weeks. We were told each day it would be taken care of and really did not want the hassle of moving and storing our bags. It seems the people in the next room were not happy about having pest control in their room and bees have a different mandated procedure for removal as it involves relocation. As it turned out, it was actually the room below us where they eventually found a very large hive. I am not sure how no one noticed the big swarm of bees. We were the first to report it and the noise was quite loud. The staff were quite nice and apologetic and we were given a room across the hall. Because no one else could use ours for a while, we were allowed to keep our bags etc there until the evening when we returned from the parks. I was very pleased with how we were treated and just posted as this was the first time anything like this has happened. We wanted wildlife on our vacation but wild bees were not really on our agenda. No fears that anyone else will have this room before it has been taken care of. They told us it had become a safety issue.

We are currently staying at AKL in a standard studio

We were offered a lower view room that was not comparable and turned it down

What sort of room were you offered? Standard studio is pretty basic.

Like a couple others have mentioned, if it was a value room and you had taken it, asking for the points difference would be 100% reasonable. We once booked a 1 bedroom for one night in order to do laundry that evening. The dryer, it turned out, was broken and we had to stay longer during the day time than we wanted in order to finish the clothes. I asked for and got the difference between the one bedroom and the studio.

But since you didn’t take the offered room...

could not open the door for fresh air.

At AKL? I have bad luck there bc going out on the balcony for me doesn’t give fresh air.

bees have a different mandated procedure for removal as it involves relocation.

Totally, and thank goodness they were doing it the right way. Though I bet they could have called an expert bee person and had it taken care of quicker.

We checked into AKL once with both of my brothers and their wives. One of my brothers was staying in a studio, which hadn't been cleaned at all when they were given the room. I went down to the check-in desk and reamed them out. I had been building up DVC the whole time before we arrived and my brother and his wife were my guest. They got mousekeeping in there to clean it up and they gave my brother $500 in Disney credit and me $400 in Disney credit.

We checked into AKL once with both of my brothers and their wives. One of my brothers was staying in a studio, which hadn't been cleaned at all when they were given the room. I went down to the check-in desk and reamed them out. I had been building up DVC the whole time before we arrived and my brother and his wife were my guest. They got mousekeeping in there to clean it up and they gave my brother $500 in Disney credit and me $400 in Disney credit.

Has happened to us several times, we got balloons once, and other small stuff. We don't take friends and family anymore because you never know what we will get. It does seem to be improving though.

:earsboy: Bill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!