What would a reasonable compensation be for a room issue?

I am glad it worked out for you OP. I am not sure if that would have satisfied me for compensation - I think it depends how much they gave you off your bill. I would think of it as 5 days of paying for a room with a balcony but ending up with a room without one for that time. How much is a balcony worth for 5 days? The difference in the studio values at AKV in about 3 pts a night. If they have you 16-18 pts back, that is about the equivalent of charging you 5 days in a value studio which still has a balcony. I think I would have asked for at least 2 days back.

We just got back from HHI. For three straight days, we had trouble with our keys not working. It was a pain to climb two flights of stairs (especially since my DH needs double knee replacement) and then to not be able to get into our room. We did not complain, but politely asked for the problem to be fixed. They sent engineers who took the lock completely apart and could find nothing wrong with it. Each day after they worked on it, the keys would work, only to stop working by the afternoon. Finally, after the third day, they just replaced the whole lock, and there were no problems after that. They told us they would be back with a form of compensation. They returned with a gift bag with plastic water bottles, peanuts, mints, and a bottle of wine. I found it strange that they would give peanuts when so many people are allergic and alcohol when so many people don't drink, including us. So the gift bag was pretty worthless for us. They also gave us free meals at the counter service restaurant. That was a nice gesture, but we had already purchased all our groceries for the week, so we ended up throwing out food. Several years ago, we had a dirty villa, and they had us out of our villa for a whole afternoon while they did a full cleaning, and we also received a $100 Disney GC. I loved that compensation! But it just goes to show you that it's different each time. Now, if I couldn't use the balcony at HHI for several days, they would be giving me all my points back! That's the whole reason I go to Disney's HHI Resort!

You seriously don't get unless you ask. Especially at Disney. They rarely offer up anything that would blow your doors off.
Once they realize they aren't "getting away with" offering a paltry comp, they will up the ante.
I'm not a complainer, but we had some very silly stuff happen on a couple of visits. I was extremely nice and used the phrases "I am really not happy with this. I am not a satisfied customer" and that was the trigger. Once you say you're good to go, they are done. I stressed that I wanted it to be fair, and that their comp didn't seem fair.

It really does depend on your attitude and tone of voice. Also pure luck. You could get a harried manager on the line and it's not going to go well. Or the call center. Never just deal with the call center. There's a food chain, work your way up it. Once you get to someone who can actually make a difference, they tend to be so helpful and can't do enough.

They were offered another room immediately that they declined.

The OP made a gamble - that it was indeed an easy problem to solve and they would quickly be able to regain use of their balcony and enjoy the nice view they got simply by luck of the draw.
I'm sure the resort was not acting in bad faith with their initial assessment that it would be an easy problem to resolve. With any kind of pest infestation, it can be difficult to predict the extent of an issue without thorough investigation.
Had the OP moved right away, they would have enjoyed balcony access for the duration of their trip but they chose to not want to give up the nice view they received via a random draw.

This is a case of wanting to have cake and eat it too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!