What's fun for a 2yr old??

Rellim

Mouseketeer
We're taking our 2yr old in Sept. and I was wondering will there be things she will really enjoy or is she too young still? If anyone has suggestions on rides, shows, or whatever experiences you've had we would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rellim

hi - it's definately worth bringing any child from about a year & up - we've taken both of my
children since they were 17/18 mos old and we've had a great time each and every time
some of our most special memories were of when my kids were really small -

what you have to do is work the parks on their level - rides are okay - but not space mountain
the shows are what really interest them - even the "impromptu" - my son loved dancing to
the jazz band - even epcot is doable with the shows & music

also remember to allow for rest times - we took our stroller and let them nap when they needed it - we didn't make them wait to go back to the room - we found some out of the
way areas - the path outside of the castle has a nice bench - you can even watch the parade
from here - this also helps save time because you're not spending time going back & forth
to the room for rest times -

eating is really easy also - just let them share from your meal - disney meals are always
way too big for a 2 year old - but sharing helps -

and bring some of their own food - we brought cheerios & pop tarts - they had a small snack
before we went to the park - and then we had brunch together

but you can also have a good "adult" time - there's the "kid swap" where you tell the cm
that your child doesn't want to go on the ride - the first adult will ride while the 2nd waits with the child - and then when the first adult is done he/she will take the child and the 2nd gets to ride - and not have to wait on line - he/she's already at the front of the line -

but the best advice is to relax - just remember - each time you go you'll find something different as you child ages and the shows that you loved the first time will expand to thrill
rides later on

sorry this is so long - and i hope it helps - have a great time

I agree with the advice of relaxing. You definitely don't want to push them too far. We took our DD when she was 20-m-o. She loved the monorail the most and the fountains - simple things. I think she was overwhelmed by a lot of stuff. The Tiki Birds at MK and Mermaid at MGM were too loud for her. She enjoyed Pooh and Buzz Lightyear at MK, Dumbo, Carousel, Donald's Boat (make sure to bring extra clothes or swimsuit for this.)

Character meals are good if your child doesn't like to sit too long, very distracting and lots to look at.

We are going next month with DD (now 4) and DS (2 1/2) and hope to travel at a pretty slow pace. Faster pace is reserved for when they get older and we can go back again.

My 2 1/2 year old had a great time and still talks about Disney.

It's a Small World and most of Fantasy Land are really the most fun. Don't do Snow White - it is really very scary. I did do Pirates of the Caribbean though and my son loved it.

At Animal Kingdom our 2 yr old loved the walk through animal areas. She could have spent all day there. She liked the Festival of the Lion King show, but was a bit intimidated by a loud roar in the beginning.

At MGM she loved Little Mermaid and Playhouse Disney and did well on the Animation Tour also.

She loved at the usual stuff at Magic Kingdom - Minnie Mouse's house was a huge hit, and she loves all things Pooh.

In EPCOT she spent a ton of time in the Living Seas and liked The Land also.

The fountains everywhere were a huge hit and still are now that we are home. She also loved the sidewalk entertainment in the parks and on the BoardWalk. One little treasure was going to see the ducks at the Yacht/Beach club. Lots of great photo opps.

Of course, a lot of what you decide to do with your 2 yr old depends on what she likes. Our dd was the more cautious type when she was that age, she 's gotten much braver now but still not big about rides.

She has always enjoyed the shows at all of the parks. We did our first character meal with her when she was 2 1/2, she enjoyed it, a little shy with the characters but depended on who they were. She liked Chip and Dale but a little nervous with the "snout" ones, Pluto, goofy, etc.

In MK, the Pooh ride should be fine (go with a fastpass if you can). We usually get right on the WDW Railroad at the entrance and get off at Toontown so she can see Mickey and Minnie and any of the other characters. This works well when we get there early. Then you can backtrack from there. Small World is another good one, the Tomorrowland Transit Authority is relaxing. If she likes rides go for Dumbo, The Caraousel. Peter Pan's Flight is good, but I also agree with honeymom, skip Snow White.

At Studios/MGM, check out the Playhouse Disney show, if she'll keep glasses on and likes Sesame Street, she'll like the Muppet 3D movie. Beauty and the Beast should be good one (we have yet to see it and plan to this trip).

At EPCOT, a lot of the (educational) rides at FW are good, (ie, the Land, The Living Seas, etc). Our dd loved dancing to the British Invasion at the UK at nite.

At AK, the Safari can be a little rough, but she may be ok with it. There's also a walk thru animal trail. She may like the Pocahantas and LK shows too.

Thanks so much for your quick responses! It sounds like there is plenty to do. This will be a much different trip than we are used to but I'm really looking forward to it!!
Thanks again.
Rellim

2-3 yrs..?

MK - Bear contry Jamboree, Enchanted Tiki Birds, and the Train (around the park)

MGM - Playhouse Disney (I hear they are talkiing about bringing the Doug show back too), and maybe the Muppets and Ariel's Voyage (depending on how they react to loud noise).

EPCOT - The Land has a nice slow ride, a (loud) show performed by vegetables and fruits, and a video starring Timon, Pumba, and Simba; and Wonders of Life has some nice 'play' areas..

Enjoy the magic...

At just turning two, our son was a bit overwhelmed by the loud noises on some of the rides and shows. But he just hid his head and was fine as soon as we exited each one. The things he especially liked:

Its a Small World
Winnie the Pooh
Buzz Lightyear
The busses to and from the parks. (He loves to ride any bus)
Bear in the Big Blue House (now Playhouse Disney)
Character interaction. He was INSISTENT about meeting Tigger.
Music. Even for the attractions he didn't seem to like, we noticed he recognized and liked the music weeks later.

About 3 weeks shy of his 3rd birthday we went to DL/DCA and he loved just about everything.

It might help to play some of the Disney music for your child before you go. That way, when they here it on the ride or in the show, its something familiar to them.

At 2 my son really loved any kind of boat, train or bus ride which makes Disney Transportation a big attraction in itself. He really loved the monorail the most. Toontown and Its a Small World were big hits at MK as well as Playhouse Disney at DS. Fountains were also a big hit!

We recently travelled to Disney with a 2-1/2 year old who loved it --especially the bus rides. Even though he didn't nap, it really made a difference to break the day up. We went to MK or AK first thing in the morning, left after a few hours for a break and a dip in the resort pool (he adored the waterslide at PO-Riverside -- went down on my lap and I lifted him clear of the water for the final splash). Then in the afternoon, we'd go back to the parks, usually to Epcot. I really recommend on-site stay when you're travelling with young ones.

His personal likes and dislikes:

He predictably loved Fantasyland. Get there early early early -- we were at the rope drop under the castle at 9 am and went on everything without lines. His favorite were the Speedway cars, just beside Fantasyland. Go there immediately after Dumbo, because the line gets really long quickly and it's a smelly wait, with the petrol fumes. He liked Dumbo, Teacups, Pooh, Peter Pan, and It's a Small World. Got a little nervous on Buzz Lightyear. We didn't do Snow White because I'd been on it before and knew it was inappropriate. Some other morning, go to Adventureland first and hop on the Magic Carpets. Jungle Cruise is great for little ones, if there's no line, and Pirates of the Caribbean may be tolerable. He loved the Pirate gift shop when we went out.

In MGM, he enjoyed the Indiana Jones show (only got a little wiggly -- it's a long show) and the Muppets. Great Movie Ride he found a little scary and confusing. The Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground is neat. Little Mermaid was ok, but really not that special, in my kids' opinions. We skipped Bear, I admit, because my son voted to go back to the hotel waterslide by that time.

In Animal Kingdom, he liked the walking trails in Africa and Asia. But he completely adored the Triceratops Spin. We were there first thing in the morning and went on it many many times in a row. The Safari is indeed really bumpy, but he enjoyed it anyway. And the Lion King show is definitely worth seeing with little ones. It's Tough to Be a Bug was too much for him -- he took off his own glasses and just cuddled in my lap.

Epcot was his absolute favorite. We went there in the afternoons and evenings, after having been back to the hotel after the Fantasyland or AK morning blitzes, and our kids really enjoyed just playing at Epcot -- e.g. jumping on the sparkling sidewalks around Spaceship Earth -- or sitting on the sidewalk and watching the live shows. My 4-year-old daughter loved the Dragon Legend Acrobats and we saw them twice (different shows). I know a lot of people with young kids often skip Epcot, but the younger ones can really appreciate the little things, like chasing each other around the hedge maze in England. My son's personal favorite was watching the model trains in Germany.

Generally, my advice is -- don't wait in too many lines with really small ones, and save most of the big attractions where you'd have to do a baby swap for the next trip. There's enough little things to fill your day even without them.

Cheers,
Tara

We'll be there in september with our 2 year old as well!

thanks for all of the advice (even though it wasn't for me :) )! we've only gone with adults or teens before & we aren't quite sure what to expect.

I plan to take advantage of the buffets! DS just started eating a lot of table food & you can't beat FREE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter