What's it like in September?

Lisa3

DIS Veteran
We have been to WDW 3 times:

1st time - Mid Nov. 2000 - Great weather, no crowds
2nd time- 1st week in Dec. 2002 - Cold weather, o.k. crowds
3rd time - Early Nov. 2003 - Great weather, very crowded

DH said this was enough "Mickey" for him for at least a couple of years but the kids will not be going back to school until Sept. 20th in 2004 (school construction). I have heard it is still very hot this time of year and to be honest none of us like 90 degree weather. Could some of you Sept. experts let me know what I could expect in early Sept.? How is the weather and how are the crowds after Labor Day? Thanks.

Early September last year was HOT HOT HOT and super humid. It rained every day for about 15 minutes off and on throughout the day and I felt like I was wet to the bone. I would never go back in early September again. I'm not good with the heat and humidity (even though I'm from the Midwest and used to it). The crowds weren't bad at all though and we waited no more than 15 minutes for anything.

I do usually go during this time in September, and only Florida Residents recieved a room discount last September. You must remember this time of the year is very active in the Caribbean and we have had many Hurricane's during that time period. September is HOT, HOT, HOT.

I agree with the previous poster. We had our 1st trip the week after Labor Day this year. Yes, it was hot, but the crowds were great. Wish we could return again that time of year.:bounce: Have a great trip:hyper:

As others have said, it is very hot in September. And hurricanes can cause some weather problems--can get some high winds and rain if there is a hurricane nearby. The lines aren't bad, and you can accomplish a lot.

One other thing I remember about my September trip were the love bugs. They were everywhere. Everything was covered with the things. There would literally be hundreds of them on the buses.

Karen

We've visited twice in September, and probably won't rush back again in that month. Two words: Hurricane Season

In September '02, it was very hot and humid. We also had at least a half-day of rain for 5 of our 6 days. The golf courses were unplayable and we spent half of our time soaked to the bone.

Some people don't have trouble adjusting to the weather. I openly admit that I am NOT one of those people. No, you can't predict the weather, but you can play the odds. And after that trip, I just don't have any confidence in September. I kept an eye on the weather reports this past September to satisfy my curiosity, and it didn't do anything to dispel my memories.

Also, if the last couple of years are any indication, they do seem to schedule quite a few rehabs in the September/October time frame.

On the brighter side, crowds were low. We had few problems getting on rides within 10-15 minutes, using FastPass when appropriate.

I have been going to WDW in Sept. since 1989 and only once were we even slightly affected by a hurricane, that was in 99 and it was much ado about nothing. CT, where I came from, was hit harder.
The weather is, indeed, dicey, but, it always is anywhere at anytime. I love heat and humidity, so, for me it is perfect.
I have yet to see much shut down for rehab in early Sept (my favorite time to go), but, then again, I don't stay the entire month.
As to rain, I rarely see anything other than that wonderful park clearing mid afternoon thunderstorm. Heck, watching all the people is worth the price of admission. ;)
It is fun to see/read the reactions from different people from different parts of the world. Some love it, some hate it, and some don't care. Mid westeners are fun because they react to the Hurricanes, we shorleline types react the same to tornados,which are really a midwestern occurance. I probably would not venture to the midwest in the summer because of them. One spring in Indiana took care of that.
All in all, you have to do what you feel comfortable doing.

We were there the last full week of 2002. Even with the heat, humidity, rain everyday except for the last, and the need to drink fluids every moment, it was still my best vacation ever.

We knew it would be like that though. We bought our Dollar Tree 2/$1 ponchos and drank lots of water and Powerade. We took it all at a slower pace. We also took dry socks and an extra shirt. All these little things made it work out so much better than if we had not planned.

Would I go back in September? Maybe. It just depends on the deals. Maggie

We had originally planned our traditional first-week-in-December visit, but DD is expecting a baby in December (first grandbaby for me--HOORAY!!!) so we went Sept 15-19 this year and in spite of our worries about the weather, we had a great trip. The weather was hot but not so hot that it deterred us from anything, nor were we terribly uncomfortable. It did not rain at all while we were there, even though a hurricane came ashore in (I think) Georgia/South Carolina. Crowds were, in a word, nonexistent. The busses were empty, often just our party and maybe a half dozen other people. There were some lovebugs but they didn't really bother us. We had a fabulous vacation. We will definitely go again in September.

We arrived in Florida from Canada Sept. 17 and it was HOT HOT HOT! We were surprised at how hot it was, when we arrived it felt like you were breathing under a blanket. The CM's were saying that it was more humid than usual and we met a fabulous man at the Polynesian who told us it wasn't usually so humid at this time of year, he comes in Sept. every year. By the middle of the week it wasn't so humid. I'm not sure we will go back in Sept., we may wait until the end of Oct. or the beginning of Nov.

We went the first two weeks in sept, this year and it was amazing! hot, sunny (it only rained twice i think?) There were hardly any crowds and the parks were still open quite late! perfect!
:hyper:

We went the week of Labor Day one year, as we had no children at the time. THe parks were deader than dead... to the point of being almost eerie. And it POURED all but one of the days. Okay, it was unusually rainy that year, but it convinced me never to go in September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter