What's up with all the cutbacks?

I think the most likely answer to all of this is each park was tasked with cutting a certain percentage of costs as part of a larger cost cutting number within the Parks sector. Each park does the minimum and most effective costs they can come up with to reach, but not exceed that required number. Cutting Rafikis, which is probably the least attended area of AK, makes sense. It wasn't enough, because as RTeetz points out there isn't much there, so they also cut a few performers from ROL. Similarly, DHS met their quota with a few of the Citizens, but they didn't need to cut them all to make the number so they didn't. I expect there are other cuts that are less obvious that were done as well and just not announced. I also expect both EPCOT and MK had their share as well, and it will probably show up in reduced ride staffing during the slow months, reduced restaurant and gift shop staffing, etc. For MK, that makes sense since there are so many rides, slowing them down still leaves alternatives. For AK and DHS, cutting ride staff is less of an option because there are so few to begin with, so the cuts show up in other areas.
I agree with this. I would also add DHS cut Starlord and Groot as part of everything. They will eventually be replaced in 2019 though with Mike and Sulley.

I agree with this. I would also add DHS cut Starlord and Groot as part of everything. They will eventually be replaced in 2019 though with Mike and Sulley.

I'm probably the only one Happy that Mike and Sully will be taking the star lord's and groot's place.
Love Mike and Sully,and Monster's Inc. I think Disney would have been ahead to do a Monster's Inc. Place instead of some of the other things they have done IMO.

I don’t consider this fat cutting though. Fat cutting would be getting rid of some of the unnecessary managerial positions Disney has (they have a weird system). I know I keep bringing up the citizens of Hollywood but to me why not just get rid of all of them? If they are looking to save money that would save even more. Cutting 4 of them changes their storyline.

Rafikis is a weird one too. The train won’t be operated so I guess that saves costs but all the CMs have been given a place elsewhere. Sure some might have less hours but they aren’t out of a job by any means. The building stays too due to the offices and animal hospital. So really the only cost savings is operating the train.

I agree about Rafikis for sure. That’s why I think they have plans for the area.

Yes, they've incurred costs for increased salaries and the acquisition of Fox, but how much did they save with the corporate tax cut? I would like to see that number.

I think it's great that they increased wages, and I know they have to keep the stockholders happy, but a lot of these cuts just seem like nickel and diming the customers.

Did they save money or did they just do stock buybacks? If it’s the latter, I don’t know if the tax cuts have any impact on operating budgets.

To recap: here is Len Testa's analysis of what happened in early 2018 with reduced operating capacity at WDW.
This is a 25 min. Dis Boards Pod Cast interview that is worth your time.

http://1e2e79e255ccc28ed3b5-b1ba41d...cf1.rackcdn.com/bonus-len-testa-interview.mp3

Keep in mind that Disney CHOSE to reduce operating capacity while charging guests full price for tickets. This resulted in a major increase in wait times for basically everything from rides to restaurants.

This is further proof that Disney is only concerned with the stock price and the guest experience is of minor concern.

If you are paying attention you'll see it in MANY different ways. Cuts, reductions, deferments and scale backs in resorts, dining, transportation and parks. Pick your favorite area and you can find examples. Yeah sure every company experiences these kinds of things from time to time but long time observers have seen that this is the new way of thinking to prop up the stock price at all costs.

All of these cuts and scale backs come at a time when the company is EXTREMELY profitable. They are happening at YOUR EXPENSE.

~NM

PS. My favorite line of Disney B.S. is "We HAVE to raise Ticket Prices because guests are telling us the parks are too crowded". Don't swallow that kool aid. Disney is depending on you to drink it up. Perhaps if you thought about it from the perspective of "We have to raise the price of those poor quality frozen pizza's we are serving because they are so delicious" you will finally see it. Disney is selling you on a price increases intended to bolster the stock price with logic that you would be uninformed enough to believe.

I do think it’s funny that food quality is brought up as an example as cost reductions, when at least where the value resorts are concerned, it’s at all time high. It’s kind of lazy to say frozen pizzas when, say, Pop Century just got a brick pizza oven. The overall point of cutbacks, I can’t dispute, but I couldn’t imagine Disney caring about stuff like that in my last visit in 1998. A family on a budget wouldn’t even be able to dream of more than sub-McDonalds food back then.

To recap: here is Len Testa's analysis of what happened in early 2018 with reduced operating capacity at WDW.

http://1e2e79e255ccc28ed3b5-b1ba41d...cf1.rackcdn.com/bonus-len-testa-interview.mp3

Keep in mind that Disney CHOSE to reduce operating capacity while charging guests full price for tickets. This resulted in a major increase in wait times for basically everything from rides to restaurants.

This is further proof that Disney is only concerned with the stock price and the guest experience is of minor concern.

If you are paying attention you'll see it in MANY different ways. Cuts, reductions, deferments and scale backs in resorts, dining, transportation and parks. Pick your favorite area and you can find examples. Yeah sure every company experiences these kinds of things from time to time but long time observers have seen that this is the new way of thinking to prop up the stock price at all costs.

All of these cuts and scale backs come at a time when the company is EXTREMELY profitable. They are happening at YOUR EXPENSE.

~NM

PS. My favorite line of Disney B.S. is "We HAVE to raise Ticket Prices because guests are telling us the parks are too crowded". Don't swallow that kool aid. Disney is depending on you to drink it up. Perhaps if you thought about it from the perspective of "We have to raise the price of those poor quality frozen pizza's we are serving because they are so delicious" you will finally see it. Disney is selling you on a price increases intended to bolster the stock price with logic that you would be uninformed enough to believe.

:worship:

I do think it’s funny that food quality is brought up as an example as cost reductions, when at least where the value resorts are concerned, it’s at all time high. It’s kind of lazy to say frozen pizzas when, say, Pop Century just got a brick pizza oven. The overall point of cutbacks, I can’t dispute, but I couldn’t imagine Disney caring about stuff like that in my last visit in 1998. A family on a budget wouldn’t even be able to dream of more than sub-McDonalds food back then.

Now you remind me that I'd love the McDonalds fry stand to return.

Suggest you try out Pecos Bill the next time you are in MK and see what you think of the food quality.

A family on a budget wouldn't be able to dream of a WDW vacation 20 years after your last visit. The pizza analogy was not literal. Food quality has been reduced as a budgetary measure. This isn't really a point of contention by people that have visited this century.

I see you fell into the Disney Marketing trap. Pop Century did not in fact get a "Brick Pizza Oven".
Here is the picture of the oven:

IMG_9279-1376x1032.jpg

From this review here: https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/review-di...-oven-pizza-to-shake-up-quick-service-dining/

Just because Disney tells you it's "Brick Oven Pizza" doesn't mean it actually is. They are depending on you to buy into the marketing spin to justify the higher prices.

~NM

I see you fell into the Disney Marketing trap. Pop Century did not in fact get a "Brick Pizza Oven".

IMG_9279-1376x1032.jpg

From this review here: https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/review-di...-oven-pizza-to-shake-up-quick-service-dining/

Just because Disney tells you it's "Brick Oven Pizza" doesn't mean it actually is. They are depending on you to buy into the marketing spin to justify the higher prices.

~NM

You do realize that is actually a brick oven, right? It's industrial, made from steel, but you can very clearly see the bricks inside it. Not all "brick ovens" actually have an exterior made from brick, or have your traditional-looking bricks inside it. It's certainly not your traditional, wood-fired, brick oven, which is definitely the best, but, for all intents and purposes, this is a brick oven and they're serving what they claim.

You do realize that is actually a brick oven, right? It's industrial, made from steel, but you can very clearly see the bricks inside it. Not all "brick ovens" actually have an exterior made from brick, or have your traditional-looking bricks inside it. It's certainly not your traditional, wood-fired, brick oven, which is definitely the best, but, for all intents and purposes, this is a brick oven and they're serving what they claim.

Yup. I’ve shot enough videos for restaurants that I’ve seen all sorts of brick ovens.

And any oven is a major step above microwave pizza-ville. :)

IMG_9279-1376x1032.jpg

~NM

You do know a brick oven is not made out of brick right. Or did you fall into the “I need something to complain about” trap. Brick ovens are ovens that are lined inside with some kind of stone whether it be brick, stone, concrete or another type of similar material. If you look inside, you can clearly see it’s a brick oven.

You do know a brick oven is not made out of brick right. Or did you fall into the “I need something to complain about” trap. Brick ovens are ovens that are lined inside with some kind of stone whether it be brick, stone, concrete or another type of similar material. If you look inside, you can clearly see it’s a brick oven.

I guess we both fell into the "I need something to complain about" trap.
~NM

~NM

Wow, that is brutal. I had kind of guessed at some of that but did not really want to believe it. Sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!