What's your best kept Disney secrets?

BrerRabbit1114

It all started with a mouse...
Hello everyone, I have an upcoming Walt Disney World vacation, and I was wondering what are your families best kept Disney secrets? Whether it's theme park related, food related, anything that will make a Disney vacation that much more magical.

One of my best kept (known) Disney secrets would have to be the single riders line at Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Why wait 30 to 90 minutes in line at sand by, when you can wait no longer than 5 minutes in the single riders line? I know you won't be seated with your family or friends, but it's a great way to save a lot of time!

Also, if you've never eaten at Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney, you don't know what you're missing. They are reasonably priced, and they have some of the greatest sandwiches, wraps and salads in this world. Also, they give a discount to AAA members, something to keep in mind.

I've always liked to let people know they can walk from the Studios to EPCOT faster than waiting and taking a bus. It's really only about a 25 minute walk to get to the Boardwalk from the Studios. I always take this path unless it's raining or just stupid hot.

Last edited:
Well, if I told you my secrets, they wouldn't be secret any more would they?

But here's one anyway. If you arrive at RD, you're already behind the curve. The gates almost always open 10-15 minutes before the official opening time. If you want to be at the head of the pack speed walking to SDMT, TSM, KS, or Soaring, you really need to get there before 8:30 for a 9:00 opening.

Mine is about desserts at HS- everyone raves about the cupcakes at Staring Rolls. We'll, did you know that those hugemongus, delicious cupcakes count as a dessert if you get a QS lunch there? DD got sushi, and I got a delicious sandwich, and we each picked a gorgeous, scrumptious cupcake as our dessert- YUM! And we didn't even need to use a snack credit!

We like to snack midday instead of having a large meal for lunch. We've often grabbed a turkey leg and gotten in line at Splash Mountain. By the time we got near the front we've finished our delicious turkey leg, past the time more quickly, and killed two birds with one stone! There are garbage cans along the line. We often get comments about how good it looks or I wish i had though of that...im starving etc.
With regards to MK, we always catch a ride on the railroad and ride to the back of the park first then work our way back.

Maybe this isn't actually a secret but somehow we walked by Club Cool in Epcot dozens of times on several trips without realizing it was there. It's a nice spot on a hot day to stop in for a few minutes of air conditioning and taste (free) all the different sodas.

One of the biggest "secrets" I know is to not buy bottle water. Most of the quick service locations have filtered water. Ask for a cup of ice water instead of spending $3 every time you are thirsty.

When trying to enter/exit Magic Kingdom, instead of walking through crowded Main St and dodging everyone stopping to take a picture of the castle, walk throught the gift shops. It can be troublesome if you have a stroller, but other than that it's usually a lot faster, not to mentioned it's air conditioned.

When buying snacks (this mostly works for families of 4 or more), it's better to buy one cupcake and cut it in 4 pieces. No one really needs to eat an entire giant cupcake on their own, and it's easier on the wallet.

Character Palooza is an amazing way to meet upwards of 8 characters in an incredibly short amount of time. Character Palooza happens at the exit of Tower of Terror (Kenny the Pirate has a schedule for specific times on specific dates). My girlfriend and I did Character Palooza three times when we went this past Feb. We met some pretty rare characters; Genie, Robin Hood, Evil Queen, and Pinocchio to name a few! If there is more than one Character Palooza a day, the characters usually don't change. With that being said, typically there are new characters every day! There were a couple characters that were there every time we went though (Tiana, Stitch, Jasmin, Aladdin).

PM me if you want any park specific secrets though!

EDIT: Seems like about a week after my original post, Disney World decided to "do away" with Character Palooza. Instead it will be a much more random event. See the below link for more details:

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2015/05/13/what-is-going-on-with-character-palooza/

Last edited:
On days you are not in the parks stop by different resorts and check them out. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is gorgeous and you can walk out and see all kinds of African animals. The buffet restaurant at AKL - Boma is AMAZING and you can try many different African dishes. Each day they give tours of two of the restaurants at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for free. Just be at the hostess stand by Boma at 3:45pm and say you are there for the tour. They even have food samples during the tour. It was wonderful.
The Boardwalk Hotel Area is also a wonderful place to visit. A wonderful boardwalk area with a festive atmosphere.

for families with little ones, the "beach" at the fort is an excellent place to play and then watch the light parade on the lake and fireworks. Last visit, DD8 and I ate Trail Side and she happily played in the sand while I drank a cup of coffee for more than an hour, we watched the parade then took the boat back to the Contemporary and monorail to TC for our bus. Also got to ride a boat, a bus and a train all in 1 night! She loved it and besides dinner, it was free!

I've always liked to let people know they can walk from the Studios to EPCOT faster than waiting and taking a bus. It's really only about a 10 minute walk to get to the Boardwalk from the Studios. I always take this path unless it's raining or just stupid hot.
Am I understanding you correctly when you say you can walk from Hollywood Studios to Epcot?

Am I understanding you correctly when you say you can walk from Hollywood Studios to Epcot?

Yes. It takes between 20-25 minutes honestly depending on how quickly you want to walk. They are pretty much right across the street from each other. Sorry, I know I put 10 originally that was just a typo that I fixed now.

You basically go to where the buses pick up/drop off at the Studios and just walk down the path towards the Swan & Dolphin. Follow the sidewalk and cut through the Boardwalk Resort pool area to the Boardwalk itself. From there you just go through the International Gateway entrance to EPCOT and you are there.

Here is the pathway looking at the Swan and Dolphin.
11151028_1076653925694476_4031088009718958399_n.jpg

Yes. It takes between 20-25 minutes honestly depending on how quickly you want to walk. They are pretty much right across the street from each other. Sorry, I know I put 10 originally that was just a typo that I fixed now.

You basically go to where the buses pick up/drop off at the Studios and just walk down the path towards the Swan & Dolphin. Follow the sidewalk and cut through the Boardwalk Resort pool area to the Boardwalk itself. From there you just go through the International Gateway entrance to EPCOT and you are there.

Here is the pathway looking at the Swan and Dolphin.
11151028_1076653925694476_4031088009718958399_n.jpg
Great tip!!! Thank you! We will definitely be utilizing this next week. So excited!!

Great tip!!! Thank you! We will definitely be utilizing this next week. So excited!!

It beats waiting for the coaches a lot of the time. Plus, if you are wanting to hit World Showcase, you're right there when you enter. Enjoy your trip & maybe we'll run into each other in the parks!

It beats waiting for the coaches a lot of the time. Plus, if you are wanting to hit World Showcase, you're right there when you enter. Enjoy your trip & maybe we'll run into each other in the parks!

Yes it definitely does! We are planning to hop from HS to Epcot sometime after lunch so Im sure the buses will be packed, this will be fantasic!
Yes! I love the thought of seeing fellow Disboarders!!!!!

Yes it definitely does! We are planning to hop from HS to Epcot sometime after lunch so Im sure the buses will be packed, this will be fantasic!
Yes! I love the thought of seeing fellow Disboarders!!!!!

If it IS stupid hot (I love that!) you can also take the boat from DHS. We get off at Yacht Club/Beach Club, walk thru the resorts (there is usually ice water and cups stationed in the lobby for free!) and enter EPCOT that way.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card game! My sons absolutely love this game and it's FREE. Even if you don't play the game, the cards are beautiful souvenirs and everyone with a ticket can get a free pack in MK. Each day you go back you can get another pack, as long as you play at least one portal of the game. It's interactive, takes you through several of the lands in MK, and just a lot of fun!

How about the little things like hearing the music school down off Main Street, the key under the mat at Muppets, and the "Singing in the Rain" umbrella at HS?

Transportation cards--again a freebie and great souvenir. You can ask the drivers of any boat, monorail or bus. Some have them, some don't. But it doesn't hurt to ask!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts