What's your typical/ideal Embarkation Day routine?

We like to meet the characters in the terminal which is something I haven't seen mentioned much. We've also never sailed out of PC. Once onboard, lunch at Cabanas (outside no matter the weather which is always my preference). Then head off to check out the kids clubs and play until room is ready. Hopefully some luggage has arrived so we can unpack a bit.

We go straight to the sail away from the muster drill to get "our spot." Stay on deck until dinner time. I just realized typing this that all 3 of my previous cruises have left late so we've never been actually "sailing away" during sail away! So after dinner we've had time to watch us sailing away, still, before it's show time.

For our prior cruises we have been concierge so our plan (and the same for our upcoming in April), we arrive at the terminal, check in, hang out in the concierge area, board and then head straight to the concierge lunch where we have our first glass of champagne for adults and shirley temple for the kids. Then we head to the concierge lounge to check in. Then check out our room start to unpack and go to the sail away party.

On the Magic, I believe I heard Palo reservations wait list is typically at Promenade Lounge. When and if that is the case, is the bar open there? DH says the first thing he wants to do onboard is get a beer and the first thing I want to do is get Palo. So, you know... 2 birds. : )

I'm curious to see what you experienced cruisers plan for a perfect embarkation day! Do you wing it or have a checklist of things you want to get done (ex. tastings reservations) and things you can't wait to get back to (ex. Cabana's)? Do you have any tips for how to avoid the crowds or fun things to do the first day/evening? Any advice on how to make the first day magical?
Fun question!

We get the earliest port arrival time and then we arrive between 9-9:30 anyway and line up in the garage watching the previous cruise disembark and taking pics of the ship from the garage. You get really good pics from the second deck where they have you lined up. Then we get in the terminal close to 10, get a low boarding group number and have fun looking at all the fun stuff in the port and taking pics with characters, who do come out there. We read the Navigator and get our plans set, then board when called and straight to Cabanas for food and we take it poolside to eat while a server gets us the first drink of the day. We pack a day bag, so we don't worry about when rooms are open. We get in the pools or aquaduck while it is very uncrowded and fun! Watch the TV screen doing the trivia and just enjoying our vacation from the first minute possible, to the last. We head to the room about 2:00 or so, shower and change, then it's close to drill time, so we explore a bit till then. After drill, straight to either sail away party or front of the ship to watch us leave port. Embarkation day is our favorite days of the cruise, as it's the furthest away from disembarking! What ever you do, you will have a great time! Enjoy!

I just took these on February 1st on our way into the terminal for our Fantasy cruise.....from the Bridge from the parking garage to the terminal.

MJ

Last edited:

We go to the concierge dinning room for a leisurely lunch. After lunch we go up to the concierge lounge to meet with the concierge staff, and then it is down to our stateroom to meet with our stateroom host and unpack. Once we are unpacked we can really start to relax and enjoy the cruise.
I didn't know there was a concierge dining room! Can you tell me more about this? Thanks!

I didn't know there was a concierge dining room! Can you tell me more about this? Thanks!
One of the dining rooms - the one in the lobby on Fantasy/Dream, Tiana’s/Rapunzel’s on Magic/Wonder - is opened to Concierge guests on embarkation day. The menu is pretty much the same as the one in the regular sit-down dining room, with the addition of a lobster salad and maybe another dish. They offer complimentary drinks - we always get a Bellini. The Concierge hosts greet you and go over your plans for the cruise. They used to do that in the lounge but it got overcrowded and the lines were often too long.

One of the dining rooms - the one in the lobby on Fantasy/Dream, Tiana’s/Rapunzel’s on Magic/Wonder - is opened to Concierge guests on embarkation day. The menu is pretty much the same as the one in the regular sit-down dining room, with the addition of a lobster salad and maybe another dish. They offer complimentary drinks - we always get a Bellini. The Concierge hosts greet you and go over your plans for the cruise. They used to do that in the lounge but it got overcrowded and the lines were often too long.
Thank you!

I'm curious to see what you experienced cruisers plan for a perfect embarkation day! Do you wing it or have a checklist of things you want to get done (ex. tastings reservations) and things you can't wait to get back to (ex. Cabana's)? Do you have any tips for how to avoid the crowds or fun things to do the first day/evening? Any advice on how to make the first day magical?

leannak -Have you had the opportunity to cruise DCL yet?

Just getting to the port and getting on the ship is the big excitement for embarkation day! But there are things that make it special.

The Disney Terminal at Port Canaveral sets the mood. Other ports and other cruise lines just seem so blah. The effort (and money) to create a look and feeling is not wasted on me.

I like to make up a humorous name for our arrival announcement (since my name is not the same as my sister & nieces).

I take in the lobby - and will throughout the cruise. On another thread, people mentioned that it is a waste of space. I think it is yet another thing that sets DCL apart and harkens back to the classic steamships (and expensive hotels). Nothing like looking down at the carpet to see what the last dry dock brought. And especially check it out when it is a Very Merry Christmastime Cruise.

We usually go to Cabanas; while not the best meal, no waiting to be served. There will be enough long meals at dinner.

Drop off bags, unpack, Muster Drill, wave at the cast members who are on the Terminal deck, waving their giant Mickey gloved hands; wander around the ship, enjoy the sea breeze, and before you know it - it’s dinner time. (By now, I skip the Sail A Wave Party).

Welcome Aboard show in the Walt Disney Theater to get the vibe of the cruise.

Soft serve ice cream, pizza and Funnel Vision movie.

Usually have all reservations done beforehand. Sometimes go to Guest Services to deposit Gift Cards to onboard account.

Check for special WiFi offer only available for first day sign up.

We have been on 2 DCL cruises so far. Out of the two experiences - my favorite embarkation day routine was the DME from our WDW resort to the PC terminal. We arrived at the terminal, received our KttWC and had no wait to board the ship! We went right to Cabanas for lunch, always choosing a table by the water, and then wandered around the ship until our bags arrived at our room. After 7 nights at WDW, the cruise was the perfect way to unwind, relax, and take life a little more leisurely than we do at the parks.

We would have been embarking on our 3rd DCL adventure in 2.5 weeks - but have canceled for the foreseeable future. (surrendered our on-board booking benefits from 2019)
I love reading about everyone's experiences!

We have been on 2 DCL cruises so far. Out of the two experiences - my favorite embarkation day routine was the DME from our WDW resort to the PC terminal. We arrived at the terminal, received our KttWC and had no wait to board the ship! We went right to Cabanas for lunch, always choosing a table by the water, and then wandered around the ship until our bags arrived at our room. After 7 nights at WDW, the cruise was the perfect way to unwind, relax, and take life a little more leisurely than we do at the parks.

We would have been embarking on our 3rd DCL adventure in 2.5 weeks - but have canceled for the foreseeable future. (surrendered our on-board booking benefits from 2019)
I love reading about everyone's experiences!

I think the bus ride is a great adventure, especially during your early cruises. It is like a package of fun, from airport to ship.

We get the earliest boarding group possible.

Check in, wait around in the terminal for our boarding group to be called, skip the embarkation photo, debate if we're going to tell the CM just my husband's last name or our two last names hyphenated. (You would think after several cruises we wouldn't have to debate this anymore, lol.)

Take care of any dining changes or reservations that need to be made

CABANAS! Lunch at Cabanas on embarkation day is my absolute favorite thing. We always eat outside unless it's cold/rainy. The best embarkation lunch was on the Wonder when we sailed to Alaska. It was a glorious day in Vancouver and we sat at the very back of the ship looking over the city. Perfection.

Chill in the Quiet Cove (and usually get another snack) until it's time to head to our room - this will be different on our next cruise now that we have a baby!

Get to the room, hope our bags are there, unpack what we can, hang on the veranda (if we have one)

Muster drill

Sail away (we usually skip the party and pick a spot on deck or on the veranda to watch)

Shopping

Dinner

Shows

Drinks in the adult area (again, will change now that baby is here)

Sleep

Waaaaah, I miss it. :(

Board around 11 am
Lunch at the buffet (but now it might have to be somewhere else)
Walk around the ship to explore
Unpack in the room
Get a drink/more food
Muster drill
Vacation begins!

We get the earliest boarding group possible.

Check in, wait around in the terminal for our boarding group to be called, skip the embarkation photo, debate if we're going to tell the CM just my husband's last name or our two last names hyphenated. (You would think after several cruises we wouldn't have to debate this anymore, lol.)

Take care of any dining changes or reservations that need to be made

CABANAS! Lunch at Cabanas on embarkation day is my absolute favorite thing. We always eat outside unless it's cold/rainy. The best embarkation lunch was on the Wonder when we sailed to Alaska. It was a glorious day in Vancouver and we sat at the very back of the ship looking over the city. Perfection.

Chill in the Quiet Cove (and usually get another snack) until it's time to head to our room - this will be different on our next cruise now that we have a baby!

Get to the room, hope our bags are there, unpack what we can, hang on the veranda (if we have one)

Muster drill

Sail away (we usually skip the party and pick a spot on deck or on the veranda to watch)

Shopping

Dinner

Shows

Drinks in the adult area (again, will change now that baby is here)

Sleep

Waaaaah, I miss it. :(
Make sure to utilize the nursery! It was so amazing our first cruise to drop my older one at Oceaneer's and my toddler at the nursery and go to the adult pool. Most vacations with kids are really just parenting in other places. That cruise was the first time as parents we felt like we were actually on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter