What's your WDW secret? Tips, Tricks, Best Practices, etc.

GOLDENGNOME

Earning My Ears
I've planned and gone on many WDW vacations and feel like I've gotten to an (almost) expert level, but there's always new things to learn and I'm always curious to find out from others how they approach planning and executing their plans at the parks in unique, lesser known and advantageous ways.

So, my question is:

What's your ONE (or more) secret or unique "thing"--nuance, short cut, best practice, trick, tip, advice, insider info, factoid, learning experience, dos & don'ts, etc., etc., etc.--you know/use when planning or experiencing WDW that most people probably don't know?

Advanced apologies if this is a re-post...

Thanks!

Day on, day off! (Blasphemy, I know). We found through trial and error that we have the best time when we do a commando day in a park, and then take it low and slow the next day.

Things that work for us (after 7 trips):

1. Carry on luggage only. If using Magical Express, take your own luggage and avoid waiting for delivery.
2. Don't do your fave park after a late night or an early flight in. Save that for a day when you're rested and no Magic will be dulled.
3. Early morning arrival, mid-morning to early afternoon FPs, "low wait" attractions after FPs are done.
4. Sometimes a lunch ADR is the perfect thing.
5. Expect crowds no matter what and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Most people going to WDW think they'll either "see it all" or at least try. My #1 tip to them is-resign yourself to the fact that you won't see it all. And don't even try, or you'll come back tired, miserable, and probably hating it. And I agree about lunch ADRs.

Another vote for carry on luggage. Although, if you end up needing to check a bag: I would make sure to pack an extra change of clothes and necessities in the carry on so you have it while you wait for ME to deliver to checked bags.

Rope drop is amazing but don't do it every morning. Plan rest days and/or sleep in days.

Relax and have fun!

Relax and have fun!

This!! It is most important! Also, we are prepared to change plans as we go. We do make all our dining reservations and fast passes choices when the time frame is allowed to do so, but will change them, either for hungry now or we don't feel like riding this attraction at this time, etc.
We also like to stake out our favorite rocking chairs and if empty we can sit there for an hour or so (people watching).... or when our butts start to hurt, lol.

I actually picked this up off a post last year and it was a great tip. I take a plastic tote, and put it in the corner of my living room about a month before we go. Then as I buy things for the trip or find things that will need to go that we won't use until we leave, like ponchos, (we live in Vegas so it never rains) I toss it in the box. This way it's all in one place, I can see what I have and what I still need, and I don't have to hunt for things when it's time to pack.

In the factoid category, the mosaics in Cinderella's castle were done by the most successful Nazi interrogator in WWII. His daughter in law did The Land pavilion.

Hanns Scharff .used available information to convince shot down pilots that he knew information and confirmed and/or gained confidence of the prisoners. He never resorted to torture or deprivation. In some cases Scharff used his success to shield American fliers from the Gestapo. After the war he was asked to speak about his techniques. He eventually moved to the US.

One that people may know. The chess game is, for lack of a better term, a loop game. Any move will end up bringing the game back to the start. This also means it is impossible to get into that setup in a real game. The pirates passed away trying to figure out who won.

When they refurbed POTC a few years back they could not the setup until they found it on the backside of a paper a few years later.

My tip is don't be afraid to rent a car! Orlando is a pretty cheap car rental town, especially if you follow the car rental watch thread in the transportation forum for the month you are going. When reviewing people's plans for getting everything they need delivered to their hotels, or using one time transportation options, etc. I often wonder how much of a savings it really is versus renting a car. Every time I've gone to WDW someone on the trip has also always come down with something that warranted at least one trip to the local pharmacy or store for supplies, and having my own means of travel has proved to be priceless in those situations. I also love being able to drive into the parks or to a resort for an ADR everyday and not have to rely on Disney transportation if I so choose to.

For rental cars, I would suggest getting one with a counter in the airport. That allows you to walk away. My experiences with rental cars is not great. Reserved a four seat car and was offered a 13 seat van. Reserved a compact car for myself and was offered a mini van.

My tip is don't be afraid to rent a car! Orlando is a pretty cheap car rental town, especially if you follow the car rental watch thread in the transportation forum for the month you are going. When reviewing people's plans for getting everything they need delivered to their hotels, or using one time transportation options, etc. I often wonder how much of a savings it really is versus renting a car. Every time I've gone to WDW someone on the trip has also always come down with something that warranted at least one trip to the local pharmacy or store for supplies, and having my own means of travel has proved to be priceless in those situations. I also love being able to drive into the parks or to a resort for an ADR everyday and not have to rely on Disney transportation if I so choose to.

For rental cars, I would suggest getting one with a counter in the airport. That allows you to walk away. My experiences with rental cars is not great. Reserved a four seat car and was offered a 13 seat van. Reserved a compact car for myself and was offered a mini van.

This is a good tip! We reserved our rental car in advance our last trip. Booked an economy 2-4 door. Our flight got in late and they'd already given them all away, even though we'd already paid for one. All they could offer us were big SUVs and pick-up trucks.

For other things...hmmm...

The afternoon break isn't a secret by any means, but it saves us every time.

Moleskin for preventing blisters.

This isn't a secret to some either, but if the express monorail from the TTC has a giant line, we always take the resort monorail to MK instead.

And someone else's that I intend to try this coming trip: if you take an afternoon break, wash/soak your feet and change into clean socks. Apparently it is a big help in preventing blisters and sore feet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!