Wheelchair/Handicapped Accessible Room Locations and Measurements

I understand that now that renovations have been done to Pop Century and Movies, the very nice "1 king bed, 1 double bed" rooms are no longer available. Renovations have not begun at Sports, but I can't find any availability for next December!

We may not be far enough into December of this year to accommodate that booking window? Additionally, I have personally noticed that Resorts are about to go under reno or are scheduled to be renovated, the scheduling gets... weird. It gets tougher to book, especially room types that tend to be limited to begin with - like roll-in shower rooms, or the increasingly rare "1 King 1 Double" that you are seeking.

Last edited:
I believe you ate correct - with the renovations at the value resorts, the “king+double” rooms have been replaced by 2-queens. ASSports has not been updated yet, but either the few rooms of that type are alreafy booked, or that option has been removed in anticipation of having 2-queens offered by then.

ETA: i see 2 doubles are offered at sports for accessible accommodations. Those would be instead of the king+double.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited:
I have just moved from Disney Pop Century Resort to DVC Boardwalk Villas.

I was in a Standard Roll-in Shower room #0122 in Building #10

I did not have WIFI internet access at all for my laptop the whole time. And after hours trying to find out why on my own, I called Disney IT dept and spent another 30-minutes following their suggestions.

I tried everything that they told me. I turned off my Windows firewall and deleted my Norton anti-virus to no avail.

After four days I gave up.

And I only had spotty service on my phone with Disney WIFI that used fiber and AT&T and I gave up on that too. I usually only use my phone as a phone and my laptop for everything else.

Then my camera broke.

I tried taking photos with my phone, but I have an older phone that takes poor photos.

I gave up on taking room measurements.

I guess that I was addicted to the internet.

The IT tech said it must have been my Windows 7.

It wasn't.

When I arrived at Disney Boardwalk Villas, my laptop connected immediately.

I liked everything about the POP roll-in shower room and accessibility, but with my broken wrist and weak leg didn't do much at the parks.

The Pop food court also has fewer food options.

I knew last year they stopped making the freshly made yogurt parfait, but now they had stopped the freshly made to order salads, too.

This is the first year that I dined more outside Pop because of the changes.

I did try the gondolas and I loved them.

Now that I am at BWV I am surprised how the studio roll-in shower is less accessible than at Pop.

I like the room and the pool view.

I am in studio #1070 which is one floor below the 2nd-floor lobby two doors from the elevators down the hallway. Just turn right to enter the hallway to the room.

The gym area can be seen through the window wall exiting the elevators and the gym entrance and double door push button exit to the pool area and tunnel to the boardwalk and lake. Just bear to the left after exiting the elevators.

The laundry room is only one door on the left past the three elevators down the hallway. They all have front-loading machines. Three washers and two stacked dryers and one ex-large dryer with two large tables, two rolling carts, a washing detergent, etc. vending machine, TV, and two chairs.

And the ice machine down the hall next to another exit and bifurcation of the hallways. Just look for the green exit sign on the ceiling. The entrance will be on the left.

Now for accessibility or lack of accessibility.

The bathroom entrance uses a sliding door and a minimum opening per ADA.

At the entrance to the studio, there is a 45-degree turn with a kitchenette on one side and the bathroom on the other side.

As I enter the bathroom the roll-in shower is basically a square floor shape with very little room to turn a wheelchair with an old threshold.

The handheld shower is high...very high with no adjustment bar. The staff told me they have not installed an adjustable height shower bar because of the small size of the shower area.

I asked the staff to leave the handheld shower hose hanging down touching the floor and not to replace it in its holder that is about six feet high. Although it is a handheld the holder is at regular shower height with no adjustments.

No fold-down bench in the roll-in shower because they said the area was probably too small to install one. The first night I placed towels on the upholstered chair outside the shower and I had a sponge bath until they were able to find a shower stool.

They did bring down a large plastic bath chair. They removed the backrest and when I took a shower, my back rested against the wall and my toes touched the opposite side. That is how small it the roll-in shower cubicle is. I have seen these in decades older hotels.

No push-button bottles in the shower for shampoo, etc.

They used tubes, but no place the shampoo nor body wash tubes as the original wall soap holder had ridges that slanted down and the tubes kept falling on the ground during a shower. I should have brought my reacher. The wall soap holder was not wide enough nor high enough to place the tubes of the shampoo nor body wash properly.

I finally figured out to fold a hand towel and stuff it in between the handrail and shower wall to hold the tubes.

They folded a regular bathtub shower heavy curtain together and hung it up. It wasn't wide enough and water was always on the floor in front of the sink even though I put a bath mat towel at the shower entrance. POP was so much lighter to close.

Overall the BWV roll-in shower area was about half the size of the POP roll-in shower area. If you recall the POP roll-in shower allows you to roll a wheelchair in, fold the built-in shower bench down and transfer with an adjustable height shower head and three pump bottles for shampoo, etc. At least at POP, you could lay your own shampoo bottles on top of the pump bottles without them falling on the floor.

The freestanding closet has safe on the floor. I couldn't reach it and it shortened the height of hanging shirts and pants so my clothes crumbled in a mess on top of the safe. The two doors to the closet do not recess into the closet nor open past 90-degrees when open.

Of course, to get to the balcony door there is a four-inch drop with no ramp. How difficult would it be to just saw a makeshift ramp for this?

The very large, heavy coffee table was removed for more wheelchair maneuvering and easier to transfer, for me, to the sofa.

The newer built-in table combination fold-down child's bed was a nice feature. I could roll my wheelchair up to it like a dining table with the large tv against the wall.

The staff and the property are very nice. Although none of them from the front desk, cleaning manager, engineer manager was aware of the issues after many years of now changes.

I am going write separate EXCELLENT reviews for the excellent help from the front desk Laura and Charlette, Housekeeping Manager, Keven, and Engineer Kevin and one other person that checked me in, but I didn't write her name down.

So the staff will leave my handheld shower hanging down to the floor.
So the staff will leave the kitchen plates, utensils on the lower shelf instead of the cabinets near the ceiling.

So during refurbishment every few years they can put in new sleeper sofas and new combination table/fold-down child's bed, but no changes to accessible rooms.

I was told all of the BWV studios whether Standard, Pool, and Boardwalk Views have the same roll-in showers. This is a shame for such a supposedly quality resort.

Too cheap or they just don't care to spend money on accessibility to add the different things that I mentioned above.

The engineer told a few one-bedrooms have a little larger roll-in shower, but he wasn't positive.

Oh, and even though the kitchen sink has space to roll a wheelchair under the microwave is lower, all of the dishes and utensils, etc are in the top cabinet near the ceiling like the regular studios.

The staff says that their resort does not have a disability person.

I have written to disability.services@disneyparks.com <disability.services@disneyparks.com> for any solutions, but I am too tired to edit this review so I will copy and paste.

I like BWV, and I like POP, but I like BWV just for the area.

Is there anyone here on www.DISboards.com or this DISability Forum have any pull for a resolution to these issues?

EDIT to add BWV Standard Studio roll-in shower #1070 location and info:

12/12/2019.

I am in studio #1070 which is one floor below the 2nd-floor lobby two doors from the elevators down the hallway. Just turn right to enter the hallway to see the room on the right.

The gym area can be seen through the window wall exiting the elevators.

The gym entrance and double door push button exit to the pool area and tunnel to the boardwalk and lake. Just bear to the left after exiting the elevators down a very short hallway.

The gaming area entrance is outside in the tunnel on the right and public restrooms on the left.

The laundry room is only one door on the left past the three elevators down the hallway. They all have front-loading machines. Three washers and two stacked dryers and one ex-large dryer with two large tables, two rolling carts, a washing detergent, etc. vending machine, TV, and two chairs.

The Ice machine and soda machine next to unit 1085 on left side of the hallway before the green EXIT sign on the ceiling and across from another exit with glass door and windows on the right of the hallway and before the bifurcation of the hallways.

The BWV Standard Studio roll-in shower #1070 has a slanted door entrance across from a locked non-descript door.

Entering the unit has a small foyer with a mirror on opposite wall.

After entering the studio, I make a 45-degree turn into the next area.

The kitchenette is on the right with a roll under the sink space for a wheelchair where two plastic trash cans were located. I moved this out of the way. The sponge and towel and detergent located in the far corner of the kitchen sink behind the sink handle and were difficult to reach by wheelchair for me. But I have short arms.

The fridge with the small freezer located to the immediate left under a slightly raised counter next to the kitchen sink.

The small microwave and coffee maker located on this raised counter, but easily accessible in a wheelchair.

Above this counter is an open shelf running across the kitchenette above the microwave and sink and is reachable from a wheelchair.

But all of the utensils and paper plates and glasses etc. are all located in the row of cabinets situated at the height of the ceiling. Very, very high. I asked a neighbor to pull all of these items and place them along the open shelf above sink and on top of the microwave.

To the left of the kitchenette is the entrance to the bathroom with a sliding heavy wooden door.

It is more difficult for me to turn to enter the bathroom and I usually made a turn from the foyer in my wheelchair instead of trying to turn from the other direction or in place.

The toilet and wheelchair space and then wall mounted sink with flat areas around the sink area from my left to right until the wall. I was able to place personal items on the flat areas around the sink. A small shelf below the mirror with no close-up mirror with light.

The roll-in shower is on the right side of the bathroom entrance.

I don't know what is behind the wall along with the sink, but it would have been nice to more than double the space of the roll-in shower if that space was utilized.

I didn't have a roll-in shower wheelchair since I travel alone. I could have pulled myself with one, but they only had to handlebars. One on the left underneath the over 6-foot tall handheld shower attachment and one against the adjacent wall. No handlebars on the right.

The shower stool was large and placed next to the shower entrance to transfer from my wheelchair outside the shower. As mentioned before the shower has a square footprint. My back touched the shower wall and my toes squeezed up against the opposite side of the shower wall. Doable, but not very comfortable.

With my broken left wrist and my weaker dysfunctional legs made it much harder for me to stand and walk in general. But I am well aware of how lucky I am and I am amazed at how others may function with fewer limps. I this has truly been an eye-opener for me.

Enter the bedroom/living room area.

Facing the door to the balcony.

There is a queen bed on the left.

Large enough space on either side for the wheelchair to transfer to the bed.

A freestanding bedside table between the bed and sofa.

Bright lights located above the bed with one flip button can only be reached if lying in bed.

The bedside table has a combination of two electrical plugs, two USB ports, and no light switch.

Before entering the bedroom area, there is bright kitchen light. And on the opposite wall a bathroom light and a light switch to turn on the ceiling fan and bedroom dimmer light next to the TV. And an older temperature box.

Next to the bed and bedside table is the sofa and then a freestanding tall light on a pole.

The door to the balcony is not a sliding glass door, but a glass door and a glass window that is both door height.

Unable to safely enter the balcony area due to no ramp.

Last edited:

I did not have WIFI internet access at all for my laptop the whole time. And after hours trying to find out why on my own, I called Disney IT dept and spent another 30-minutes following their suggestions.

I tried everything that they told me. I turned off my Windows firewall and deleted my Norton anti-virus to no avail.

And I only had spotty service on my phone with Disney WIFI that used fiber and AT&T and I gave up on that too. I usually only use my phone as a phone and my laptop for everything else.

Then my camera broke.

I tried taking photos with my phone, but I have an older phone that takes poor photos.

It wasn't.

I liked everything about the POP roll-in shower room and accessibility, but with my broken wrist and weak leg didn't do much at the parks.

I knew last year they stopped making the freshly made yogurt parfait, but now they had stopped the freshly made to order salads, too.

Now that I am at BWV I am surprised how the studio roll-in shower is less accessible than at Pop.

I am in studio #1070 which is one floor before the lobby two doors from the elevators, gym and double door push button exit to the pool area and tunnel to the boardwalk and lake.

The laundry room is only one door on the left from the elevators and the ice machine down the hall next to another exit and bifurcation of the hallways.

At the entrance to the studio, there is a 45-degree turn with a kitchenette on one side and the bathroom on the other side.

As I enter the bathroom the roll-in shower is basically a square floor shape with very little room to turn a wheelchair with an old threshold.

The handheld shower is high...very high with no adjustment bar. The staff told me they have not installed an adjustable height shower bar because of the small size of the shower area.

I asked the staff to leave the handheld shower hose hanging down touching the floor and not to replace it in its holder that is about six feet high.

No fold-down bench in the roll-in shower because they said the area was too small to install one. The first night I placed towels on the upholstered chair outside the shower and I had a sponge bath until they were able to find a shower stool.

They did bring down a large plastic bath chair. They removed the backrest and when I took a shower, my back rested against the wall and my toes touched the opposite side.

They used tubes, but no place the shampoo nor body wash tubes as the original wall soap holder had large ridges that slanted down and the tubes kept falling on the ground. The wall soap holder was not wide enough nor high enough to place the tubes of the shampoo nor body wash.

I finally figured out to fold a hand towel and stuff it in between the handrail and shower wall.

They folded a regular bathtub shower heavy curtain together and hung it up. It wasn't wide enough and water was always on the floor in front of the sink even though I put a bath mat towel at the shower entrance.

Overall the BWV roll-in shower area was about half the size of the POP roll-in shower area. If you recall the POP roll-in shower allows you to roll a wheelchair in, fold the built-in shower bench down and transfer with an adjustable height shower head and three pump bottles for shampoo, etc. At least at POP, you could lay your own shampoo bottles on top of the pump bottles without them following on the floor.

The freestanding closet has safe on the floor. I couldn't reach it and it shortened the height of hanging shirts and pants so my clothes crumbled in a mess on top of the safe. The two doors to the closet do not recess into the closet nor open past 90-degrees when open.

Of course, to get to the balcony door there is a four-inch drop with no ramp. How difficult would it be to just saw a makeshift ramp for this?

The very large, heavy coffee table was removed for more wheelchair maneuvering.

The newer built-in table combination fold-down child's bed was a nice feature. I could roll my wheelchair up to it like a dining table with the large tv against the wall.

The staff and the property are very nice. Although none of them from the front desk, cleaning manager, engineer manager was aware of the issues after many years of now changes.

I am going write separate EXCELLENT reviews for the excellent help from the front desk Laura and Charlette, Housekeeping Manager, Keven, and Engineer Kevin and one other person that checked me in, but I didn't write her name down.

So the staff will leave the kitchen plates, utensils on the lower shelf instead of the cabinets near the ceiling.

So during refurbishment every few years they can put in new sleeper sofas and new combination table/fold-down child's bed, but no changes to accessible rooms.

I was told all of the BWV studios whether Standard, Pool, and Boardwalk Views have the same roll-in showers. This is a shame for such a supposedly quality resort.

Too cheap or they just don't care to spend money on accessibility to add the different things that I mentioned above.

The engineer told a few one-bedrooms have a little larger roll-in shower, but he wasn't positive.

Oh, and even though the kitchen sink has space to roll a wheelchair under the microwave is lower, all of the dishes and utensils, etc are in the top cabinet near the ceiling like the regular studios.

I have written to disability.services@disneyparks.com <disability.services@disneyparks.com> for any solutions, but I am too tired to edit this review so I will copy and paste.

Is there anyone here on www.DISboards.com or this DISability Forum have any pull for resolution to these issues?
Wow!! This is NOT good :(

Dang, Ray - sorry about the camera! I hope it's an easy fix!

I'm glad your laptop starting working when you got back to the Land of The Real Internet, um BWV LOL. Kind of makes me wonder what the heck is going on with POP's internet service!

Like you, I am really shocked at the accessibility issues you have encountered there at BWV. The lack of a simple fold-down bench, for example, and the placement of kitchen necessities like the microwave is another.

If you do have a chance to give someone feedback about this, please stress to them the importance of using the *hard surface* fold down benches in the showers, and not the mesh sling seats, just from an ease-of-use/safety standpoint.

I guess you could always start by having a conversation with the GM there at BWV, and ask if they can loop in Disability Services while you are still there, so that you can show them in person what your concerns are.

I'm glad to know you got to go, even if you aren't quite back up to full speed.

Wow!! This is NOT good :(

Hi, chelynnah. I know right!

Hi, mamabunny.

Dang, Ray - sorry about the camera! I hope it's an easy fix!

I'm glad your laptop starting working when you got back to the Land of The Real Internet, um BWV LOL. Kind of makes me wonder what the heck is going on with POP's internet service!

I know. Although I got excellent service from all of the Disney cast members, no one had a clue in giving me an answer about why I couldn't get internet service for my laptop. The IT dept says it could see I had internet service and I believed them when they told me that I couldn't get online because my Windows 7 was too old and I needed Windows 10. I was really upset when I got to BWV and instantly had internet service. I really felt lost and sad since I was by myself and it was a way to communicate and research info when inside my room. I usually only go to the parks every other day.

Like you, I am really shocked at the accessibility issues you have encountered there at BWV. The lack of a simple fold-down bench, for example, and the placement of kitchen necessities like the microwave is another.

They did not even offer a transfer bench, nor warm me about the handheld shower was located at a height of six feet on the wall. Newbies may not even know what to ask for.

I was shocked when the front desk and housekeeping and engineer did not know all of this. The front desk thought that the roll-in shower had a sliding adjustable pole for the shower height adjustment. And someplace in the shower to place their tubes of shampoo and body wash so they wouldn't fall on the floor with no pumps like at the POP.

If you do have a chance to give someone feedback about this, please stress to them the importance of using the *hard surface* fold down benches in the showers, and not the mesh sling seats, just from an ease-of-use/safety standpoint.

I will. Maybe then my toes wouldn't be folded up against the shower wall.

I guess you could always start by having a conversation with the GM there at BWV, and ask if they can loop in Disability Services while you are still there so that you can show them in person what your concerns are.

I still haven't heard back from the WDW Disability email.

I'm glad to know you got to go, even if you aren't quite back up to full speed.

Thank you. I am still debating if I should have come down. I can't grasp with my dominant left hand or steady myself when I feel like I will fall when transferring. My left leg still gives out and I am having more difficulty standing up using my left leg. I don't know why I feel weaker overall.

Although I got excellent service from all of the Disney cast members, no one had a clue in giving me an answer about why I couldn't get internet service for my laptop. The IT dept says it could see I had internet service and I believed them when they told me that I couldn't get online because my Windows 7 was too old and I needed Windows 10. I was really upset when I got to BWV and instantly had internet service. I really felt lost and sad since I was by myself and it was a way to communicate and research info when inside my room. I usually only go to the parks every other day.

Yeah, I have my suspicions about what's going on there; the easy way out for tech support is to always say "update to the latest version of your operating system" but the *version* of your operating system has nothing to do with it's ability to connect to the Internet. Since you connected just fine at BWV, we know that *your* equipment and/or software is not the issue, know what I mean? 🙃

Thank you. I am still debating if I should have come down. I can't grasp with my dominant left hand or steady myself when I feel like I will fall when transferring. My left leg still gives out and I am having more difficulty standing up using my left leg. I don't know why I feel weaker overall.

I hope that - in the end - you find some joy and happiness to take home from this trip! I have no doubt that you *will* get better - and that you *will* be able to go back someday without fear or trepidation.

It's taken me a *long* time - 2 years this January! - to come back from that last big accident; I was lucky, and had a PT who trained me how to keep maximum strength while healing with minimal pain. And that's something that a LOT of folks don't know - that PT doesn't have to hurt. The whole "no pain, no gain" thing is better left at the gym; any PT who acts more like a gym rat than a physical therapist is not going to take time to listen to how you respond to properly managed PT. Causing *more* pain only makes you want to stay away from PT; it doesn't necessarily cause you to heal faster, or develop a higher tolerance for pain, or any other sack of reindeer poop they try to throw at you. So, "Use or lose it" = yes "No pain no gain" = no. Set some reasonable goals (like, I want to be able to open a jar again) and don't just focus on the calendar as you work towards getting better; look for the milestones (like "hey I can turn that doorknob now!") that show you how far you have come!

I believe you can - and you will - feel stronger, and better, and more in control again.

Take care on the way home, my friend!

My partner and I ended up in an accessible room last February - we didn't request or need it, but I took pictures anyway to be a resource (we sometimes travel with friend with mobility needs).
This is room 3166 at Yacht Club - sorry, no measurements! I tried to get a good look at clearances though.

20190203_082736.jpg20190203_082743.jpg20190203_082749.jpg20190203_082805.jpg20190203_082832.jpg20190203_082827.jpg20190203_082820.jpg

Pop Century Resort Room #0203 Roll-in shower Measurements

20190501 Pop Century Resort's "Big Wheel", Building #10, Room #0203

Page Three

View attachment 407420

Fridge:

1'-6" h x 1'-4" w x 9" d-Interior Fridge space. No door storage [18" h x 16" w x 9" d]

The refrigerator is in its own cabinet between the TV/Dresser and closet.

The Fridge has a see-through door with no door storage. It has two plastic, adjustable and removable shelves. No freezer section.

View attachment 407421

Fridge Cabinet:

2'-4" L x 1'-10.2" d-Fridge cabinet counter top dimensions [28" L x 22-1/4" d]
2'-4.7"-Height Fridge cabinet counter top [28-3/4"]
1'-0.2" h x 2' w x 10" d-Top shelf space [12-1/4" h x 24" w x 10" d]
1'-2.5" h x 24" w x 5-3/4" d-Second shelf space [14-1/2" h x 24" w x 5-3/4" d]

This cabinet has a light switch for the cabinet and a regular electrical outlet.

If you look to the right of the photo, you might be able to see the electrical outlet with two ports and two USB ports. There are five of these in the room. One above each of the three bedside tables. Two above the TV/Dresser countertop.

Above the drawer is a countertop with the simple coffee machine with electrical outlets.

1'-0.2" h x 2' w x 10" d-Top shelf space [12-1/4" h x 24" w x 10" d]

The top shelf is deeper than the one below it.

1'-2.5" h x 24" w x 5-3/4" d-Second shelf space [14-1/2" h x 24" w x 5-3/4" d]

The second shelf is much shorter in depth. They supplied two plastic drinking cups and two coffee cups. The ice bucket was on the shelves, too, along with the in-house delivery menu.

View attachment 407423

The drawer above the Fridge contains regular and decaf coffee and Green and Earl Grey tea bags; creamer, sugar, stirrers and coffee top covers.

View attachment 407424

View attachment 407425

View attachment 407426

This is the closet with the lower coat hanger bar, hairdryer, and iron. The ironing board is on the other side of the bathroom wall hanging from the wall.

1'-7.2"-Interior clothes closet width [19-1/4"]

1'-4"-Exterior clothes closet width because of wood framing [16"]

View attachment 407427

View attachment 407428

This is the sliding wooden door to the bathroom. It does narrow the walkway between the bed and the bathroom wall and when opened all of the way, and doesn't open the entire width of the door frame. It also has a lock.

View attachment 407429

This is the doorway entrance from the bedroom to the bathroom

4'-3/4" w x 6'-5" h-Bathroom door frame dimensions [48-3/4" w x 78" h]

The above measurement is the doorway metal frame and is much larger than the actual entrance.

2'-8"-Bathroom entrance limited by door open all of the way dimensions [32"]

This is the actual width of the entrance to the bathroom because of the sliding wooden door taking up so much space.

I guess if they had wanted to they could have planned the door slide longer so the wooden sliding door opened all of the way to 48-3/4" w instead of 32".

View attachment 407430

The wall across from the toilet and on the other side of the bedroom closet with the ironing board on a hook. The iron and hairdryer are in the closet.

2'-3/4" Wall in front of the toilet with ironing board [24-3/4"]
Thank you so much for posting this. It is a great help for those of use planning a trip!

Have the rooms at All Star Sports been renovated? I am seeing availability for the elusive "1 king 1 double" rooms there that every other resort now has listed as "1 queen 1 sleeper queen". Anyone know if I am safe booking it?

Have the rooms at All Star Sports been renovated? I am seeing availability for the elusive "1 king 1 double" rooms there that every other resort now has listed as "1 queen 1 sleeper queen". Anyone know if I am safe booking it?
I’d book it now! Although, they screwed me up last time I booked this; they went and changed it to a regular room. I had my two kids with me; needed the shower seat for my youngest. I was at the check in with him in his wheelchair and they totally messed up. Moved us after a long long wait to an awful tiny studio at the BWV (only room left on site with a walk in shower, then they had to bring a shower seat). Just a warning but do as I did not and recheck your reservation.

Sports has not been renovated yet. Movies is complete, and part of Music. I would book the room you want, but be aware that the room-type may change if renovations are done before your visit. Probably unlikely in 2020 but who knows what WDW will do about renovation plans going forward.

Enjoy your vacation!

I’d book it now! Although, they screwed me up last time I booked this; they went and changed it to a regular room. I had my two kids with me; needed the shower seat for my youngest. I was at the check in with him in his wheelchair and they totally messed up. Moved us after a long long wait to an awful tiny studio at the BWV (only room left on site with a walk in shower, then they had to bring a shower seat). Just a warning but do as I did not and recheck your reservation.

Hi, happymommy.

I am sorry about your reservation.

I think I was in the same BWV studio that you were in last December, #1070 which is one floor below the 2nd-floor lobby two doors from the elevators down the hallway.

I am surprised how the studio roll-in shower is less accessible than at Pop. Overall the BWV roll-in shower area was about half the size of the POP roll-in shower area. No fold-down bench in the roll-in shower because they said the area was probably too small to install one. They did bring down a large plastic bath chair.

I asked the staff to leave the handheld shower hose hanging down touching the floor and not to replace it in its holder that is about six feet high. Although it is a handheld the holder is at regular shower height with no adjustments.

The very large, heavy coffee table was removed for more wheelchair maneuvering and easier to transfer, for me, to the sofa.

Then my camera broke.

It wasn't.

I am in studio #1070 which is one floor below the 2nd-floor lobby two doors from the elevators down the hallway. Just turn right to enter the hallway to the room.

The gym area can be seen through the window wall exiting the elevators and the gym entrance and double door push button exit to the pool area and tunnel to the boardwalk and lake. Just bear to the left after exiting the elevators.

And the ice machine down the hall next to another exit and bifurcation of the hallways. Just look for the green exit sign on the ceiling. The entrance will be on the left.

No fold-down bench in the roll-in shower because they said the area was probably too small to install one. The first night I placed towels on the upholstered chair outside the shower and I had a sponge bath until they were able to find a shower stool.

They did bring down a large plastic bath chair. They removed the backrest and when I took a shower, my back rested against the wall and my toes touched the opposite side. That is how small it the roll-in shower cubicle is. I have seen these in decades older hotels.

They used tubes, but no place the shampoo nor body wash tubes as the original wall soap holder had ridges that slanted down and the tubes kept falling on the ground during a shower. I should have brought my reacher. The wall soap holder was not wide enough nor high enough to place the tubes of the shampoo nor body wash properly.

I finally figured out to fold a hand towel and stuff it in between the handrail and shower wall to hold the tubes.

They folded a regular bathtub shower heavy curtain together and hung it up. It wasn't wide enough and water was always on the floor in front of the sink even though I put a bath mat towel at the shower entrance. POP was so much lighter to close.

Overall the BWV roll-in shower area was about half the size of the POP roll-in shower area. If you recall the POP roll-in shower allows you to roll a wheelchair in, fold the built-in shower bench down and transfer with an adjustable height shower head and three pump bottles for shampoo, etc. At least at POP, you could lay your own shampoo bottles on top of the pump bottles without them falling on the floor.

Is there anyone here on www.DISboards.com or this DISability Forum have any pull for a resolution to these issues?

EDIT to add BWV Standard Studio roll-in shower #1070 location and info:

12/12/2019.

I am in studio #1070 which is one floor below the 2nd-floor lobby two doors from the elevators down the hallway. Just turn right to enter the hallway to see the room on the right.

The gym area can be seen through the window wall exiting the elevators.

The gym entrance and double door push button exit to the pool area and tunnel to the boardwalk and lake. Just bear to the left after exiting the elevators down a very short hallway.

The gaming area entrance is outside in the tunnel on the right and public restrooms on the left.

The Ice machine and soda machine next to unit 1085 on left side of the hallway before the green EXIT sign on the ceiling and across from another exit with glass door and windows on the right of the hallway and before the bifurcation of the hallways.

The BWV Standard Studio roll-in shower #1070 has a slanted door entrance across from a locked non-descript door.

Entering the unit has a small foyer with a mirror on opposite wall.

After entering the studio, I make a 45-degree turn into the next area.

The kitchenette is on the right with a roll under the sink space for a wheelchair where two plastic trash cans were located. I moved this out of the way. The sponge and towel and detergent located in the far corner of the kitchen sink behind the sink handle and were difficult to reach by wheelchair for me. But I have short arms.

The fridge with the small freezer located to the immediate left under a slightly raised counter next to the kitchen sink.

The small microwave and coffee maker located on this raised counter, but easily accessible in a wheelchair.

Above this counter is an open shelf running across the kitchenette above the microwave and sink and is reachable from a wheelchair.

But all of the utensils and paper plates and glasses etc. are all located in the row of cabinets situated at the height of the ceiling. Very, very high. I asked a neighbor to pull all of these items and place them along the open shelf above sink and on top of the microwave.

To the left of the kitchenette is the entrance to the bathroom with a sliding heavy wooden door.

It is more difficult for me to turn to enter the bathroom and I usually made a turn from the foyer in my wheelchair instead of trying to turn from the other direction or in place.

The toilet and wheelchair space and then wall mounted sink with flat areas around the sink area from my left to right until the wall. I was able to place personal items on the flat areas around the sink. A small shelf below the mirror with no close-up mirror with light.

The roll-in shower is on the right side of the bathroom entrance.

I don't know what is behind the wall along with the sink, but it would have been nice to more than double the space of the roll-in shower if that space was utilized.

I didn't have a roll-in shower wheelchair since I travel alone. I could have pulled myself with one, but they only had to handlebars. One on the left underneath the over 6-foot tall handheld shower attachment and one against the adjacent wall. No handlebars on the right.

The shower stool was large and placed next to the shower entrance to transfer from my wheelchair outside the shower. As mentioned before the shower has a square footprint. My back touched the shower wall and my toes squeezed up against the opposite side of the shower wall. Doable, but not very comfortable.

With my broken left wrist and my weaker dysfunctional legs made it much harder for me to stand and walk in general. But I am well aware of how lucky I am and I am amazed at how others may function with fewer limps. I this has truly been an eye-opener for me.

Enter the bedroom/living room area.

Facing the door to the balcony.

There is a queen bed on the left.

Large enough space on either side for the wheelchair to transfer to the bed.

A freestanding bedside table between the bed and sofa.

Bright lights located above the bed with one flip button can only be reached if lying in bed.

The bedside table has a combination of two electrical plugs, two USB ports, and no light switch.

Before entering the bedroom area, there is bright kitchen light. And on the opposite wall a bathroom light and a light switch to turn on the ceiling fan and bedroom dimmer light next to the TV. And an older temperature box.

Next to the bed and bedside table is the sofa and then a freestanding tall light on a pole.

The door to the balcony is not a sliding glass door, but a glass door and a glass window that is both door height.

Unable to safely enter the balcony area due to no ramp.

All is see when searching for accessible rooms for dates I need at ASMU is:

Standard room, hearing accessible, 1 queen & 1 sleeper

Going to assume = no accessible bathroom features.

went to TouringPlans and I did not highlight "preferred" and I just highlighted "tub with rails". I saw that these rooms were only in building #3-<Mighty Ducks building. I didn't see any other buildings at ASM with this designations.

Tried the above hint on TouringPlans site to search. All that comes up searching “hearing” are ground floor rooms in the preferred buildings.

Any idea if that is where the standard hearing rooms are located?

Hi, keishashadow.
No, I'm sorry I don't.

The website derives its information from guests that send in the info only.

Maybe others can help you.

Tried the above hint on TouringPlans site to search. All that comes up searching “hearing” are ground floor rooms in the preferred buildings.

If, by chance you don't find the room type you need when searching Disney's website, then that usually means that all of those room types are already booked.

Accessible rooms at WDW are not like "regular" rooms - for example, if you need a regular 2 queen bed room, the reservation system says "OK, that Resort has 100 of those "generic" rooms available for those dates, so we will deduct one, and now there are 99 available". As the date draws near, the room planners at the Resort start to assign those rooms based on Guest preferences (like close to buses, pool view, etc.).

But, the ADA accessible rooms are "hard booked" - meaning that as each of those reservations is made, it is assigned in the system to a very specific room type, and not just deducted from a wider base category. So, if I need a 2 queen bed room with a roll in shower, and I want a garden view, that specific room type has to be available.

Sometimes, shifting (or "walking") your dates can work to help find the room you need.

If you don't have any success, you can always try to contact Disability Services at (407) 560-2547 or email disability.services@disneyparks.com.

But, the ADA accessible rooms are "hard booked"
Thanks, yes, I understood that the majority of other accessible rooms were already spoken for...just not sure what bathroom features are in the hearing rooms, if any.

Calling probably the best way to pin it down. Heard rumors only certain values may open initially this year. Going to switch the reservation around now.

I don't believe there are any particular accessible features in the bathrooms of hearing-accessible rooms except maybe a visual alarm. It sounds like you want a wheelchair accessible or maybe a Florida special accessible room, which have (physically) accessible bathroom features. When I search, all accessible room-types for that specific resort will be shown, but those that are fully-booked or otherwise not available state "This room type is unavailable for the dates, party size or offer selected."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!