Wheelchair on bus

KarenP

<font color=darkorchid>So try closing your eyes fo
I am thinking about taking my mom who had spinal surgery with me to WDW. She uses a walker at home, as she can only walk very short distances. My question is that since she is not confined to a wheelchair, do we still have to have her lifted onto the buses or can she just fold up her chair and board with everyone else?

Karen

Two things to consider.

1 -- can she climb the steep steps on the buses?

2 -- If in a wheelchair and using the lift (or ramp) she (and the group) will board first. Otherwise she will just be included in the possible mad rush to board the bus.

Also, have you considered an ECV? It is possible for them to be rented with a clamp for a walker.

From what I understand, whether she is in the wheelchair at the time or not, they will still use the lift or ramp at the back of the bus to load the wheelchair. They will also still use the wheelchair tiedown straps that are on the bus to attach the wheelchair down.
The reasons are that wheelchairs are heavy and they don't want anyone to get hurt lifting it onto the bus or if it moves around while the bus us moving. She doesn't need to stay in the wheelchair while on the bus if she doesn't want to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter